Pictures: Is this rug too big?

lewis2015

Visit site
Hi all - hope this is in the right place. If not, apologies!

My 15.3hh ID normally takes 6'3 to 6'6 in rugs, however having recently purchased a bargain PE rug on Ebay in a 6'6, I read that they come up rather big! This is what it looks like on him:

91f493.jpg
[/IMG]
2rqkn42.jpg
[/IMG]

I'm not sure whether to sell it on or whether it's reasonable to use :/ What do people think? I haven't tried it with an under rug which I suppose could make it come up less deep. Opinions welcome! Thanks.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
It does look a bit long, but seems fine around the middle and the front so I'd use it! and lots of room for under-rugs :)

lewis2015

Visit site
It does look a bit long, but seems fine around the middle and the front so I'd use it! and lots of room for under-rugs :)

Thank you! I'm glad you think it looks usable as I'd be gutted to sell it as it's in nearly new condition and is a great quality rug. Yes, as it's a no fill may try it with an under rug :)

lewis2015

Visit site
Thanks - glad to know others think it's reasonable :) I was worried it was a bit too deep - e.g. too far down near his knees but probably be better with an under rug. Thanks again.

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
As it's a good fit at the front and no danger of it slipping back and no fill I would use it.

if it were a heavier rug it might have put too much pressure at the front and caused chest rubs

alainax

Visit site
Its not so much that it is too much too big, more that it is the wrong shape. I find this with PE rugs and my boy. They fitted my ID no problem but completely the wrong shape for the friesian. The "neck hole" is in the wrogn place, making it sit far too far up the neck and put pressure on the shoulders and wither. On your horse it is not so bad, as the larger size is allowing that extra bit of room, although being that big too big will probably slip back and look like he has a train at the end. But as said above, for a light weight its not so bad. Just would avoid this brand if you are fitting him with more rugs come winter time.

lewis2015

Visit site
Its not so much that it is too much too big, more that it is the wrong shape. I find this with PE rugs and my boy. They fitted my ID no problem but completely the wrong shape for the friesian. The "neck hole" is in the wrogn place, making it sit far too far up the neck and put pressure on the shoulders and wither. On your horse it is not so bad, as the larger size is allowing that extra bit of room, although being that big too big will probably slip back and look like he has a train at the end. But as said above, for a light weight its not so bad. Just would avoid this brand if you are fitting him with more rugs come winter time.

Interesting! He actually has another PE - a heavyweight that came with him when I got him. Have used it years and it's ok, but only really when it's very cold as he rarely needs a heavyweight. I assumed it was a 6'3 but checked and it's a 6'0!? He's never a 6'0 in ANYTHING so just shows.

Hopefully it won't slip back - he always wears an anti-rub bib thing anyway as he had to have Mesotherapy on a wither problem a couple of years ago, but will keep an eye on this. Thanks :)