Pictures of your yards

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
Who empties the skips? Do farmers deal with them? I'm assuming your average skip hire company doesn't provide this service for dung? I've never seen skips used in this way but it looks like a very neat solution.

Auslander

Visit site
Who empties the skips? Do farmers deal with them? I'm assuming your average skip hire company doesn't provide this service for dung? I've never seen skips used in this way but it looks like a very neat solution.

My landlord does mine, but plenty of local farmers also offer the service

Tnavas

Visit site
Not sure how big it is (see pic), but it takes a month worth of poo if managed properly (10 horses)! Cost is around £100 to empty and replace.

Mine is accessed via a very high tech scaffolding plank, but you can get ones that open up completely

19146166_10155864722955730_8952113687286321343_n.jpg

Love the yard - very smart

Emily Blunt

New User
Visit site
However it's fundamentally 3 joined stables with backs to the twist, around 14ft wide with a portable animal dwellingplace/tack room on the opposite side. There are doors either end. The yard is laid on clearing chunks, laid unpleasant side up on a thick bed of sand. The tap is there as well and it's altogether lit up like a Christmas tree when I'm there oblivious.

Almost overlooked, it's appropriate amidst my property which is two sections of land, with a carport to the other side which is planings on top of bad-to-the-bone.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
How posh you all are :p. With one horse our earth banked muck heap lasts a year. Usually moved spring if field dries out enough (clay Somerset levels) Both us and the allotment chip into get it moved and they would t want it unrotted. There isn't anywhere you could conveniently put a skip on the field or our hardcore and we have a lot of neighbours that look onto ours and it is in our best interests they don't have any eyesores to complain about

SC I forgot we also have a small lorry container for hay/straw storage - as we are sometimes limited to big bales which means we can't get much in the 'garage'. This was free from mums school as they had it for storage first. It is of course painted brown to match the stables for said neighbours.

TBF we never wanted to throw too much money on setting things up (been there 13 years now) partly as the field is shared owned and it is well located for a building plot at some point.

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
Another muck option (!). My farrier told me that several of his clients have bought old silage trailers to use for muck trailers.

That sounds expensive! My OH works 'on the bins' but he won't have a clue where to get one of those I bet.

ester, that sounds like the perfect, low cost and environmentally friendly solution but I can't imagine there would be much call for muck, however well rotted around here. I have noticed someone tipping the contents of their muck heap across the fields from my house so I must ask the landowner if I could do the same. I'd have to get some sort of vehicle to shift it though. Argh, why do horses have to cost so much money to keep? I wonder if I will actually save any money compared to full livery or if it will end up costing me more?!!

Sparemare

Visit site
It's amazing how much manure rots down year on year to be fair. We moved our big pile to a new location about 4 years ago. The old stuff was a big high bank of poo pickings and straw beds. It has nigh on disappeared now.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It's ideal, we didn't have any allotments to start though so in previous years it was just collected by local farmer and added to his field heap :)

And having done DIY and home, home is definitely cheaper!

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
We have a small yard right outside our back door. There is a barn with 2 stables in, a feed room (the bit that has the green tin on) and behind that is a big man shed for OH.

The elastic across both ends of the concrete restrains the big horse so he gets the run of his stable and yard whenever he's in.

Spare wooden stables - 2 are for hay and hound puppies, 1 is for storage. Hay gets soaked in dog kennels which has a big drain and muckheap just below that. Muckheap is not big enough and is also a pain as you can only access it through the paddock which is only accessible during summer/autumn before it gets too wet for the tractor to go through. We empty it twice a year and that seems to work ok but I would rather it were bigger!!

We put in the concrete pad as we are on such wet ground in winter that we wanted space for horse to be in on during the day if too wet. We are also extending the pony stable to the edge of the concrete lip, blocking that end in and having a stable door facing the feed room so we have a 21 x 12 ft stable for horse and keeping normal size stable for pony.

We have 1/3 acre paddock up at the house next to the yard and two 1 acre fields at the bottom of the drive. Works well for us but would work so much better if we were on dry ground! Wet and miserable in winter and way too much grass in winter but its ours and we love it!!

Last edited: