Pig Oil and Sulphur

OrionDuca

Visit site
I have some pig oil and sulphur for my little cobs feathers to keep the mud off to prevent mud fever, i was wondering if it would work the same if i put it on his tail(obviously not to prevent mud fever, but to keep the mud off) as it gets really dirty. If not, does anyone have any suggestions to keep him a bit cleaner without whacking the hose out everyday.
Thanks everyone

:)

SHCC

Visit site
Yes, the pig oil works on keeping tails clean too.
The mud won't stick and one quick brushing later you have a clean tail.

gmw

Visit site
I do same and I put it on tail it does help to a certain degree. I alos used to plait their tail. But I soon stopped doing this when one of the horses had his tail in a plat and had swished his tail tail hooked over a fence post. He was well and truly stuck. He must have been standing there some time before I rescued him. Never plaited tail and turned them out again.

OrionDuca

Visit site
Thank you :) i'll clean him off tomorrow morning. I was considering plaiting after a wash, but he runs round like a nutter and sprays mud everywhere so he would just end up with a plait caked in mud haha

Ellen Durow

Visit site
I have some pig oil and sulphur for my little cobs feathers to keep the mud off to prevent mud fever, i was wondering if it would work the same if i put it on his tail(obviously not to prevent mud fever, but to keep the mud off) as it gets really dirty. If not, does anyone have any suggestions to keep him a bit cleaner without whacking the hose out everyday.
Thanks everyone

:)
The sulphur works as an antibiotic (the earliest antibiotics, before penycillin, were based on sulphur) and this is the reason for mixing it in pig oil/liquid paraffin to treat mud rash where there is broken skin and scabs. However, if you are only using it as a waterproofer the pig oil/liquid paraffin on its own will do the trick. It won't do any harm to use it on his tail.