Pig oil and sulphur

ss_welly

Visit site
Hi all,

Our field is a complete bog at the moment (I'm sure I'm not the only one!) and I've been trying to think of ways to keep the mud off my mares legs a bit. Ive used equilibrium turnout boots in the past when she had mud fever but I don't particularly like them. I've covered them in pig oil (after testing a small area) following advice from my local saddlery as this is what they do with their horses.

Does anyone else do this? How frequently do you reapply it? And advice appreciated!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
At the moment the problem is getting the legs in a fit state to apply it :( We have some hardstanding to tie up on but nowhere to keep them in overnight. Mud on tail had frozen solid yesterday into a big block of mud and ice :( As soon as the weather warms a few degrees I think I'll manage to wash it and then plait it and tie it up or something.

Mince Pie

Visit site
Can you tie him up with a haynet? If so wash his legs with hot water then dry them as best as you can with a towel. If he can stand there for a couple of hours then the legs should be dry enough to use the pig oil - unless he's a proper hairy type!

Shay

Visit site
I do my lad's clipped legs every 4 -5 days depending on how wet he has got. I do it first thing so it is going onto clean dry legs - ned comes in at night.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Can you tie him up with a haynet? If so wash his legs with hot water then dry them as best as you can with a towel. If he can stand there for a couple of hours then the legs should be dry enough to use the pig oil - unless he's a proper hairy type!

Being a cruel sort I wash his legs by riding him through the river when it's not too icy to ride down there. By the time we get back they are a bit drier but he's so much blooming feather that they never really dry unless it's a warm sunny day, so the pig oil has to take its chances with wet feather.

julie111

Visit site
My cob is out 24/7 with no where to bring in. I towelled his legs to get what mud I could off then applied the pig oil by hand (with rubber gloves on) I do this a few times a week and it seems to be working a treat.

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
I use baby oil. My pony is that greedy that he even kicks off pig oil. So I use baby oil, he doesn't lick that off as he must hate the smell. Worked a treat last winter (and he smelt lovely) but I only ever apply it when legs are dry and clean.

AmieeT

Visit site
I just use pig oil with no sulphur.

Put it on once per week, brush off the mud every Monday morning and reapply.

Used to hide off on a Sunday night, but read an article about cold hosing and mud fever.

Mince Pie

Visit site
My cob is out 24/7 with no where to bring in. I towelled his legs to get what mud I could off then applied the pig oil by hand (with rubber gloves on) I do this a few times a week and it seems to be working a treat.

I used an old fairy liquid bottle, could do the whole horse in about 20 minutes :)