Pig Oil

collie

Visit site
Any one no what pig oil is made from and what its uses are. Is it a prescription thing if not where can you get it. Friend of mine was advised to try it for a minor skin problem on her mare.

JenHunt

Visit site
battle hayward and bower sell it, most tack shops of any size can get it for you. i think its kind of a liquid parrafin jelly if that makes sense. we were told to mix it with sulphur powder to a paste to whiten socks smooth out feathers and kill lice and mud fever in heavy horses (shires)

Theresa_F

Visit site
Cheapest place I have found is Heavy Horse Supplies. Need to really mix it with sulphur to get best results.

If you want long PM on use of P&S, PM me and I'll send it to you.

Theresa the guru of P&S
grin.gif

YorkshireLass

Visit site
Pig oil is a light mineral oil. It is baby oil without the perfume. If you don't mind your horse smelling like a baby then go to a discount chemists and stock up. It is about 99p per l at these places.

The cheapest way to buy it is to go to your local friendly mechanic or independent autofactors. Millers Oils make the stuff, they also make various sorts of engine oil. Aparently one of the Miller family is a heavy horse nut, which is why they make the oil. Anyone who has an account with Millers can order Pig Oil for you.
http://www.millersoils.net/1_Millers_frame_INDEX.htm Get in touch with Miller's and ask them how you can buy it/who is their local agent.

blueberry

stores.ebay.co.uk
We sell it in our shop-£19.25 for 5 litres and i use it on our 'hairies'.

Stops the mud burning the feathers, its great at help preventing mud fever and hair breakage. I also use it on the coats when turned out in winter as it acts as a water reppelant. As you can imagine, you can soon go through 5 litres.

suestowford

Visit site
I got a gallon for about £12.50 in Mole Valley Farmers. I used it all last winter on his feathers and I am still not even half way down the can of it. I think it is good stuff, he certainly kept more of his hair even though his field was very muddy.