pig oil!

frb

Visit site
Hello!
I need some advice about pig oil and sulpher. My polomino has four very white legs, very pink and in muddy field during the day. I wanted to try pig oil to prevent mud fever and mud sticking. I know you can use pig oil on its own, but is it best to use it with the sulpher? I saw a product that contained both by equimins but it said it had to be washed off when the horse is brought in at night, which is not practical for me and surely counterproductive? Your opinion/advice is greatly appreciated!

custard

Visit site
Does he already have mud fever or are you looking to prevent it? If the latter I'd just buy some thermatex wraps and put them on each night when he comes in, don't wash the legs just wipe off the worst of it with an old towel. Brush the dried mud off gently every couple of days and apply Keratex powder to help keep the legs dry.

I have just bought some pig oil but intend using it on all their exposed bits to help stop the mud sticking so well, haven't bought it purposely for mud fever I find the wraps take care of that

frb

Visit site
Touch wood, he has not got mud fever at the mo, just want to prevent it, fields are poached and he is so pink!

Tnavas

Visit site
Pig Oil is just Liquid Parrafin - same stuff as is used in Baby Oil.
Sulphur may stain his socks.
Feed a supplement containing Copper & Zinc both needed for skin health & Strength
Avoid washing off mud, either allow to dry and brush off or bandage over some hay until dry.
If there is anysign that mudfever is developing wash with Nizeral - dilute in hand hot water, lather up well and work well into coat. Then leave to dry. If you catch it early it tends not to develop further.

Princess P

Visit site
I use pig oil on dry clean legs to stop the mud sticking, and mixed with sulphur to treat mites / mud fever / any scabbyness. Don't put pig oil on top of mud fever scabs though as it will lock in the infection.

Glayva

Visit site
i just slap it on and leave it alone, it makes their legs look greasy/shiney for a day or so then they look normal but little to no mud sticks.

The sulpher hasnt stained my horses white socks and he gets it on every winter and about every 4 weeks.

custard

Visit site
i just slap it on and leave it alone, it makes their legs look greasy/shiney for a day or so then they look normal but little to no mud sticks.

The sulpher hasnt stained my horses white socks and he gets it on every winter and about every 4 weeks.

How often do you put ther pig oil on? I'm just hoping it will help Make him easier to clean up for shows ie I can brush it off rather than wash so it would be used as a 'grooming aid' really!

Glayva

Visit site
i put it on every 4 weeks, you can judge when you need a top up, the mud will start sticking again!! We dont get sticky mud as such, we get mud pools!!

I put it on and dont even have to brush his legs for about 3 weeks, and his socks stay white!, only about the 4th week i have to start brushing his legs, then i just apply another round of the oil.

Dont wash it off, no need to at all.

Shay

Visit site
You can get pig oil, sulphur and the two pre mixed all off ebay. Theoretically you can also get it at your local chemist but they looked at me like I was a terrorist when I tried!

The only reason to use just the oil is if your horse is sensitive to the sulphur - or you are. You can apply the oil alone as often as you like. Some people do it every few days. If you have the sulphur as well then you need to be a bit more careful. I do mine about every week to 10 days. You do not need to wash it off - that would completely ruin the point!

Sulphur is massively anti bacterial so as well as helping to heal minor bits of mud fever it also kills the bacteria on the legs so nothing can start up. But if you have an open sore it might sting - I wouldn't put it on an open bit.

I highly reccommend the oil / sulphur mix. We have been mud fever free since discovering it last January - prior to that coblet had never been entirely free of it, even in the summer, for the preceeding 3 years we had him. And we tried everything!

**Vanner**

Visit site
Don't wash off and it doesn't stain - in fact the sulphur makes them whiter when you do wash off at the end of the season. Apply to dry legs - ideally at night - let it soak in in the morning protected when you bring in let them dry off naturally mud will tend to disperse itself on a straw bed or if you need to brush will just come away. It's magic stuff!!!

The equimins stuff is just pig oil and sulphur and is £5 for 500ml - you can get this cheaper elsewhere. Sulphur is generally used for scabiness associated with mites if using as a preventative you probably only need the oil.

Spyda

Visit site
I use pig oil (with sulphur powder added sometimes) but certainly don't rinse it off between applications. No need to rinse it off daily. Not sure why that would be suggested.

LouBerry

Visit site
I was wondering that. Surely if you are always washing it off then you're opening up a breeding ground as the moist area makes it even worse? Could be wrong.

I've used pig oil/sulphur mix for the last three years. Brilliant stuff for mud fever or for keeping it at bay. My mare used to be out 24/7 so was prone to mud fever. Swapped onto that stuff and never struggled again. Used to apply it once every 4/5 weeks. Didn't wash it off.

But then it's each to their own, sure people all have their own methods.

Found wound powder and olive oil works just the same.

Lowena

Visit site
hey i was just wondering how much sulphur powder would you put in say 1 litre of pig oil?
just cause ive read you cant use it everyday so was wondering how concentrated it should be?
if that makes any sense :confused:

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Just a cautionary note: my cob has white legs and pink skin, and I used Pig oil & sulphur on him, and within a little while noticed that his legs had gone mega pink and were all hot to the touch. Poor lad.

So I'd recommend a patch test first to see if its OK, especially with white legs.

What I do know, which seems to work, is to dilute the pig oil with tea tree oil instead which doesn't seem to bring him up in the same reaction.

Just a suggestion.