Piggy March Clinic Report

J_sarahd

Visit site
Now that I’ve finally sat down, I thought I would do a clinic report. I feel very lucky to have got a space with Piggy March in the 70-80cm group. I was going to do the 80-90cm but with a recent confidence knock, I’m very glad I chose the smaller class.

I brought Badger in at 10.30 even though we weren’t leaving until 13.00 to see if taking him off the grass would help with the problems we have been having.

Got there and warmed up outside and he was so well-behaved. We were in a group with two big bay horses and one 14.2hh ish pony. Little Badger definitely looked out of place! He’s only 13.2hh.

Piggy is lovely. She had a chat with us before we started and just reassured us that it was just training and it didn’t matter if it went wrong.

Then we popped over a little cross a few times before she built it up to a little upright. She commented on Badger’s amazing pop! We then added in an oxer on a bit of a curving line off the track. I was very worried as we had been having stops at jumps like this. She said not to override it and just gently push forward to the jump. Badger absolutely flew it - far too big each time!

We then did a little course and the bloody pony ran out at the first two jumps in proper Badger style. I think I just didn’t ride. He absolutely flew the rest of the course.

She then included the arena cross country jumps into the course and said that after we went round, if there was anything we wanted to do again (or she wanted us to do again) we could. Well! Badger flew round. Didn’t look at a single jump - especially considering he hadn’t seen the xc ones before and some of them are quite spooky. She also didn’t think we could’ve improved on anything.

Overall, I am very glad I went there. Not only was it amazing to have a lesson with her and I learnt a lot, I have regained so much confidence! Very proud of Badger and myself!