Pigmentation in gums

SAujla

Visit site
20220706_225136.jpg

Is this normal pigmentation or something more worrying? Its always been there but just wanted to run it by people on here as its got in my head that it could be something serious. I'm reluctant to take her to the vets right now as she's on day 11 of her season

Petalpoos

Visit site
My curlies have had that, plus 3 of them also had black spots on their tongues. They seem to appear when they are around one year old.

misst

Visit site
I'm not a vet but a ANP for humans. That would concern me but I would wait until season finished if it has been there a long time and book for a convenient time to get someone to look at it.
I am sure someone better than me will come on and say something more useful.

SAujla

Visit site
I'm not a vet but a ANP for humans. That would concern me but I would wait until season finished if it has been there a long time and book for a convenient time to get someone to look at it.
I am sure someone better than me will come on and say something more useful.
I could always send them a photo

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We have had many yellow labs with darker pigmentation on their gums, never been a problem. If it's been there a good while, then I may mention it to the vet if I went for any other reason.

SAujla

Visit site
We have had many yellow labs with darker pigmentation on their gums, never been a problem. If it's been there a good while, then I may mention it to the vet if I went for any other reason.
We aren't due at the vets until her pre op in early November, shall I send them a photo?

Petalpoos

Visit site
Yes, whatever it is that my dogs have, it has never harmed them. I believe it is quite common in some breeds. In mine, it’s just been pigmentation, the marks are not raised or anything.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I’d say normal pigmentation, some of mine have had dark spots on their gums and I’ve just looked at Milo’s and Bear’s gums. They both have big patches of black on otherwise pink gums, also on the gum line. So does Mitch. Both Milo and Mitch are black and white, both dams were liver and white. Goose has none (he’s liver and white). It’s all to do with the colouring, I guess. Were there black puppies in her litter? We need a colour expert!

She has fabulous teeth, what do you feed her?

SAujla

Visit site
Looks normal. If it's not new/has always been there, I wouldn't worry.
One of mine has a big black spot on his tongue but you only see it when he is very tired ;)
I believe its not new, I'm angry with myself for never raising it as an issue before it just got in my head that it was there and I wasn't sure if the skin was irritated by the lower incisor.

SAujla

Visit site
Yes, whatever it is that my dogs have, it has never harmed them. I believe it is quite common in some breeds. In mine, it’s just been pigmentation, the marks are not raised or anything.
I will check again but its not raised

SAujla

Visit site
I’d say normal pigmentation, some of mine have had dark spots on their gums and I’ve just looked at Milo’s and Bear’s gums. They both have big patches of black on otherwise pink gums, also on the gum line. So does Mitch. Both Milo and Mitch are black and white, both dams were liver and white. Goose has none (he’s liver and white). It’s all to do with the colouring, I guess. Were there black puppies in her litter? We need a colour expert!

She has fabulous teeth, what do you feed her?
Apologies to Milo and Bear for having an impromptu gum check but thanks for the reassuring message.

No black puppies in the litter. She is on simpsons premium and has her teeth brushed daily which she always enjoys

BallyJ

Visit site
Mine has a black spot on her tongue (she's a yellow lab) just pigmentation.

I like to think that if the worst happened and she went missing/stolen I could use is as a good identifying feature.

SAujla

Visit site
I don't believe its suddenly appeared and I'm sure its been there for a while but I'm doubting myself now as obviously I don't have a photo of her gums from before. Have several thousand photos but they are mainly of her beautiful face. I will monitor it and make sure it doesn't change drastically

Books'n'dogs

Visit site
My two recently deceased dogs both had black spots in their mouths (sable GSD and blue merle Aussie). Your Clover's mouth looks extremely healthy to me, I'm not a vet or a dentist but my vets always said my dogs had the healthiest teeth and gums they had ever seen. Willow had a small lump above one tooth that appeared when she was about 1 year old and vets were never concerned since it didn't change in size once it appeared.