Pigs 'n' ponies

BBP

Visit site
Poor bonkers black pony, for a few weeks he's been tearing up his field, then last week he lost the plot all together, rearing, biting and fly bucking in and out to the field, awful to ride in the arena (3 weeks ago he was turning into a dream dressage pony, last week I couldn't get him 5m from the nearest long side, leaping, spooking, couldn't concentrate, shaking, jumping at tiny sounds). On the yard he would stand and stare into the distance snorting and shaking. He was having a proper nervous breakdown.

Why did it take me so long to realise the neighbours who's hedge backs on to my field have put pigs right by the fence?! I saw them the other day rummaging and grunting around the scrub behind the hedge. Poor lad, I'd put him in quite a small paddock right by them to strip forwards. Clearly the bonkers pony and pigs don't go! Moved him away and he's so much more relaxed, fingers crossed he'll forget whilst bring ridden (think he got a bit hedge phobic).

Anyone's horses like pigs? I used to work on a yard where their pig used to lie in front of the new horses stables and refuse to budge until they chilled out but apparently 3 weeks of being forced to graze near them doesn't work!

millikins

Visit site
Have to say none of mine seem remotely bothered, pony mare was very interested in a sow with piglets we had to pass. But they all have their "thing" don't they?

WelshD

Visit site
One of my ponies leans over the fence and grooms the pigs (we only have them in the summer) he is enchanted by them and gets excited when they get excited. the number of insects around isn't good for his allergies though so sometimes we have to move him away from the pig pen but he always looks for them when bought in to the stables

BBP

Visit site
To be fair my pony has a lot of 'things'. I put one of the others in there and whilst she isn't overly keen on going close she also isn't that bothered. Mine usually loves all living things so perhaps it's that they rummage in the undergrowth rather than being easily seen and they grunt and squeal a fair bit (now I've been up at the right time of day to hear them!)

paddyrose

Visit site
My old boy was terrified of them! He would grow springs on his legs half a mile away. Even when they'd moved he was the same. My bombproof cob knows they are at a farm nearby and will stand transfixed listening. Couldn't understand why he didn't want to pass a certain house,then I saw there was a little mini pig in the garden,what an idiot!!

Echo Bravo

Visit site
I use to breed Oxford Sandy and Blacks a rare breed, some of my horses although brought up with them I would say tolerated them. But my old TB who was mentaly distressed adored them, would stand for hours with the piglets dangling from his tail or sleeping between his front feet. Some horses like them other no.

MargotC

Visit site
My old lad had regular turnout in a field adjourning a pig pen that held three pigs. He was fascinated with them when they first were put there and used to stand by the fence just to observe their antics. Didn't react to neither the sight, sound, or smell of those. However one of the neighbouring farms had a huge pig barn and he'd spook at the noises coming from that one, presumably as he couldn't see what made the sounds.

My old girl on the other hand didn't bat an eyelid at the barn when going past, not even when we landed in the middle of pigs being herded into the huge trailers that used to go.

Had either of those been in a field with invisible pigs rummaging behind a hedge though, I would fully expect them to be unsettled by it, at least at first!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
That sounds to me like a good opportunity to get him used to pigs in case you have to go past them when you are hacking out.

Abby-Lou

Visit site
I would turn pony out near pigs, building the timeup over two weeks they do accept them in the end its just a time factor.

buddylove

Visit site
My OH used to have pigs, which were turned out next to the horses, they all settled very well. Rocky had a special relationship with a Gloucester Old Spot sow called Big Pig (and she was)! He would spend lots of time kissing her over the fence. When piglets escaped into the horse field I feared for their little pink trotters, but the horses stood quietly whilst they teared around their feet, quite cute really :)

Auslander

Visit site
Can he actually see them-you say they're behind a hedge. If not, maybe he just needs to be able to have a good look at them and figure out what they are. Alf doesn't mind pigs - he was brought up in the New Forest, and regularly encountered pigs and donkeys out hacking, but he will have complete meltdowns about things he can't see, then be absolutely fine as soon as he sees what they are. We have issues with dragons in this part of Berkshire, so he is very wary about anything rustling about behind a hedge.

BBP

Visit site
I think he thinks pigs and dragons are related. If that bit of field was less wet and fragile, it wasn't the furthest from the stables and the pony wasn't already a bit high from the change to winter routine I would give him the space and time to get used to them. I think next summer I'll swap and use that bit of field for early summer and give him a better intro to them (I think new neighbour is planning to keep pigs regularly). Just bad timing this year!

showaddy1

Visit site
My two mares are petrified of pigs... but do agree with others that its simply they do not 'know' what they are.... strange really, as nothing else worries them.

PaulnasherryRocky

Visit site
My pony HATES pigs, we have to hack past them sometimes and I can guarantee he will always try to take off across the fields when we get near the pigs, he grunts back at them so loudly!

Have to say he is such a brave boy for going past them WITHOUT taking off though, I can feel just how much he wants to!

DanceswithCows

Visit site
never had a problem with the 3 I've owned - I just chuck them in a pen right next to pigs and never give it a second thought. the shetland actually seemed to quite like them!

Brightbay

Visit site
We had pigs introduced into the sectioned off area in the middle of our field a few years ago (farmer didn't warn us). To begin with, the horses stayed at the part of the field as far from the pigs as they could get, and there was a lot of fearful trembling and snorting. I gradually rewarded mine for approaching and investigating, just asking him to follow me over and letting him gallop back to his mates whenever he felt he was too close. He got used to them quite quickly this way and started to become quite curious, sniffing them and whuffling them over the fence (they seemed to like this too). As soon as he started to feel more confident, his pals also started to come over to see what was going on. After a while, all 4 were happy to graze alongside the fenceline and all but one were happy to whuffle the pigs.
The poor piggies didn't last long (farmer is a hungry man and likes his hog roast), but while they were there, it was a useful experience.
Once mine got used to them, we actually offered a nannying service for neighbouring horses who would no longer go down the access road from their home to the main hacking route that took them past our field!

Day Two: "Hello Wiggly Pigglies, you don't seem too bad! :D"
Photo0066.jpg

LCH611

Visit site
My ponies love our pigs and are frequently to be found kissing them as the pigs love any kind of attention, even if it is a Connemara pony chewing their snouts! My daughter cut through the pig paddock on her way back from a hack last week, and whilst she was doing the gate 3 kune kunes took the opportunity to scratch themselves against her pony's legs. When we get new ponies they seem to quickly get to grips with the idea that pigs are friendly and somehow manage to block out the eardrum splitting sound of pigs clamouring for food.

My ponies are also now alpaca proof - every time we come back from a ride the alpacas rush over to inspect the ponies and nibble their faces. Mine is completely oblivious to the fact that they don't like being chewed and spitting is not a sign of affection as he honestly doesn't even blink when they get so cross that they spit

JenHunt

Visit site
Ron, who is usually pretty sensible for the most part (nothing really bothers him), can not stand to be with sight nor smell of a pig. We have one bridleway that goes past 2 small potbellied pigs, and he skitters home snorting and farting, looking behind himself (in case they are following), and generally mincing.... even once I turn him out after seeing them he's on high alert and keeps making a noise like a whale exhaling.... not that he's over-reacting at all! ;) :rolleyes:

The one time I made the mistake (unknowingly) of parking on a pig yard for hunting, I couldn't get him un-tacked without the threat of the trailer coming over on him, and then he was difficult to load too (usually puts himself in if I'm not careful or quick enough)

Tom, however, is only moderately interested, not really bothered. But joins in with Ron's naffing off just for a laugh! I know this, because if I take him that way on his own he just walks past, glancing at the pigs but nothing more.

Last edited:

Jenny Wrenny

Visit site
My horse doesn't mind pigs at all, she used to live on a pig farm. If I were you I would leave him near the pigs, he will have to get used to them sooner or later and you never know when you might want to pass some when out hacking.

BlackRider

Visit site
my arab who is a very spooky horse, didn't bat an eyelid at pigs, I was once riding him in the school, there was a pig grazing about 10 feet away, zero reaction.
A pigeon however appeared, and he did his charge of the light brigade routine!

BBP

Visit site
Ah, nice to hear some horses like them! I think if he could see them properly he'd be better. To be fair to him, I just remembered that this summer he did hack through Thetford forest and along a bridle path that went around and through a farm of several thousand outdoor pigs. I was actually very proud of him as he was pretty brave for him on the way out. (Turning round and going back was another story!)