Pilates to improve riding...???

Kikke

Visit site
Hi All,

I have just got (xmas pressie) a new horse who is completly different from my welsh cob in everything!

I am still getting used to her lovely big movement and I am hoping to do lots more showjumping which is really her thing, but up till now has not been mine.

My osteopath now suggested to go do pilates and while I am sure I will to me a world of good I would love to know how it has changed your riding etc.

Many thanks

Nicnac

Visit site
Only did first session last night so will let you know! However friend who events at Novice (and isn't a young'un) swears by it.

Twiglet

Visit site
It will improve your wellbeing generally, and riding specifically. I'm a huge fan, have been doing it on and off for about 15 years, and never fail to enjoy it.

There is the obvious benefit of improving core strength and back health, but I also find it really increases my awareness of my body and how I use it. You know when you're riding a really sensitive responsive horse and the slightest movement from you can get a reaction? That's like pilates....it teaches you to be aware of even the small movements, and how they impact the rest of your body. It also gives you little techniques that are easily applied in the saddle; one great thing my current instructor told me was not so much to think of my shoulders back, but to think of widening my collarbone, with a piece of string attached to each shoulder socket pulling gently outwards. It opens my chest, lifts my head, and stops me rounding or arching through the back, and I visualise it when I'm riding.

There are programmes and DVDs aimed specifically at pilates for riding but I would recommend the first sessions to be with a qualified and recommended trainer.

missy99

Visit site
I've been doing Pilates for about a year, it's not necessarily something I've thought about (I started it for a different reason) but I have wonky shoulders/curved spine so sit more on one side, looking back on it Pilates has really helped me to think about my posture more and straightening up properly which makes such a difference to my horse. Strengthened my core as well which I think has helped with balance!

oldie48

Visit site
I'm 66 and have been doing pilates for 6 years. New horse is very forward with big paces, i doubt I could ride him if I hadn't done pilates as its strengthened my core, improved my balance, helps to protect me against back pain and combined with some aerobic exercise has kept me pretty fit for my age. It's also enjoyable and I feel so much better after a session. Like Twiglet, I'm a huge fan!

Burnttoast

Visit site
Echo what others have said here, but would say try to find a good instructor and small classes or even 1-2-1 when you're starting so you get into good habits from the start.

gunnergundog

Visit site
Another vote for pilates, but also I would suggest using a BOSU ball....the advantage being you can have one at home and do small workouts whilst waiting for the kettle to boil! You can do cardiac stuff, but the prime function of them is to stabilise core. Try and get a one to one with a personal trainer that has a rehab qualification to get you started. Am in my sixties and has made the world of difference to me. Also, in the long run, works out cheaper than paying to go to classes for pilates! Tight arse? Moi? :D

Kikke

Visit site
Thanks everybody for your replies.
The lady doing the class in exually a showjumper so I hope that will make it easier in the sense that she should be able to tell me on what to concentrate. I am thinking of doing some private lessons aswell, but I will be starting with a taster, see what it is like.