Pill crushing advice please!!

mattilda

Visit site
Oliver is currently on 44....yes 44....Metformin a day for his lami. He started out on 12 twice a day which he ate in his feed no problem. Since that has increased to 22 twice a day he has said no big time and spits most of the tablets out. So I have to crush them up. I started using a pestle and mortar, well the flippin' things are rock hard and ping around like tiddly winks!! However, he does eat them crushed. So I bought a cheap grinder which worked but died today after less than a week. Don't want to pay for a more expensive one if it is going to do the same thing. Anyone had similar experiences and found an easy solution or a grinder that works and lasts?

soloequestrian

Visit site
When mine was on these briefly, I used to put them in a little pot and pour boiling water over them 12 hours before I was going to feed them - they dissolve in that time and you can mix with feed or put in a syringe. I have a suspicion that you can get Metformin as a powder as well as tablets though.

mattilda

Visit site
Ah dissolving the little buggers sounds like a plan. Thanks for your suggestions. He's having another blood test so hopefully the dose will be less.

ihatework

Visit site
Mine has recently been on 120 small tablets a day!!!
We just soaked them for a bit so they turned to mush then mixed with his feed.

alsxx

Visit site
I put my boys pergolide tablets in a syringe and fill with water. I do this the night before so it's ready and then shake and squirt it in. May not be so easy with 22 tablets though.....!

WestCoast

Visit site
Yup coffee grinder. You can get liquid meteor in, but I suspect that it would be too expensive in such large amounts.

Paula

muff747

Visit site
I put my boys pergolide tablets in a syringe and fill with water. I do this the night before so it's ready and then shake and squirt it in. May not be so easy with 22 tablets though.....!

Me too. I have to dose 10 x 50 mcg of Pergolide and find about 10 to 15ml of liquid in a small syringe is still watery enough to squirt into his mouth next morning. Suppose it depends on how big/small the Metformin tablets are but you could always put them in a clean feed bucket with a bit of water overnight - then put his feed in and mix it in?

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Sunny had to have a huge number of steroid tablets daily last year and is now on 2 pergolide tabs per day. I know the pergolide tabs don't taste of anything - can't remember about the preds, but have you tried changing his feed to a mix? Sunny now has D&H 16+ mix instead of 16+ nuts. The mix is, as you'd expect, made up of zillions of assorted crunchy things and if I don't add speedibeet to dampen the feed, Sunny doesn't notice a few extra crunchy bits and scoffs them down happily. Does metformin have a bitter taste? Worth knowing this so you know what you're dealing with!

Chicolatino

Visit site
Ordered a cheap coffee grinder from amazon and have been using it for 6 months. My vet suggested it. Then I dissolve the powder and syringe it back his throat. Otherwise get a wee pile of tablets beside the feed bucket!!! We on 30 a day and I thought that was a lot!!!