Pingy Pony doing what he does best *videos* CC please

Kokopelli

Visit site
I took my little guy to a clear round jumping evening today because the last time we jumped was at Hartpury where we overfaced ourselves in our second 1.05 and the course builder had built huge.

So we brought him down a height tonight and I was very pleased especially because I rode like a complete numpty yet he still went okay.

[youtube]MEhrTL7ijcI?hd=1[/youtube]

My sharer who is fab also took him round and jumped a lovely clear so very pleased with them.

An issue we're having is him jumping to the right in doubles, he never does it over single poles and it gives you the feeling he'll run out on the second part, any advice would be much appreciated. I was thinking of setting up a a double with V poles.

CC as always please, I know I didn't ride very well tonight so not too harsh please. :)

JFTDWS

Visit site
no crit from me, not qualified and you both looked great to me anyway! round was a bit stop start, but I think that was my internet connection... unless he's learnt to levitate over fences :p

he's super :D

be positive

Visit site
He looked very confident and happy to be jumping but what a strange course, a tiny x pole to start, fair enough to get going then all the fences on the right rein nothing on the left, probably why he jumped right through the last double.

He has a very long stride for his size and found the distances short, he may go to the right to try and avoid shortening his stride, try using a slightly longer distance at home and see if he still does it, then work on encouraging him to shorten, get deeper to the second part.

Kokopelli

Visit site
Thanks JFTD and Natz he certainly does :)

I didn't think of him doing it to make the distance longer, will give that a go at home ans see how it goes.
It's a very tight arena, not really designed for jumping too big in and he struggles a bit in there but I've always figured if he can jump 1m in there half decently he will be able to jump 1.05 fine in a bigger space. :p

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Looking good, just speedy!
Yes a strange course!
My gelding has a habit of jumping right sometimes but I've realized its me, not using my legs strong enough and he drifts!

mturnbull

Visit site
What a fabby horse and certainly very keen. I would have been tempted to suggest looking at collecting your stride and when training at home use ground poles and bounces to make him think, to me he need to engage his head with his body. His heads go AHHH JUMPY JUMPY JUMPY and his legs are like WHERE HAVE I TO GO?! I do think hes very handsome though!

Kokopelli

Visit site
Sadly with him everything must be done at speed although this is hugely better than he was 6 months ago.

It's weird because he only drifts in doubles, I usually carry a whip to place on his shoulder which normally does the job but I forgot it today. Will make sure I use my leg strong enough next time though and see if it helps.

Pole work isn't really an option, he gets very excited doing it and ends up doing the wall of death around the arena :rolleyes: so I have decided it's really not worth the hassle. Oh the joys of a horse with a few screws loose :p

Will definitely get doing more bounces with him haven't done any exercises like that in a little while.

dafthoss

Visit site
He can certantly ping cant he! He makes it look really tiny, I'd just do some grid work with him and see how he is down a grid then if hes still drifting add some v poles.