Pip at Gatcombe CIC** - Avoiding the carnage (or not!)

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
It had always been in my mind this season to get a CCI*and CIC** under our belts this year. With a successful Blair the next target was Gatcombe CIC**. Due to weather issues we only had 3 intermediates behind us but they were not soft courses and lets face it Gatcombe has always been a softer 2 star (never ever presume :eek: )

Friday was dressage day and a nice leisurely start as dressage wasn’t until 16.40. The nice thing about being near the end was a virtually empty warm up arena. The test was quite a nice test for us with no rein back but shoulder in, traverse, turn about the haunches all of which kept us thinking.

The arena lacked the atmosphere of Blair but she tried really hard producing an accurate and consistent test with no major mistakes.

DSC_0032_zps49e9a255.jpg

[video=youtube;5HiCE8oYWvg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HiCE8oYWvg[/video]

The judges seemed to be marking quite hard and a 56.1 left us in 15th place out of 47 on day 1 and after both days of competition we slipped to 41st out of the 100 starters. In a strong field this wasn’t to be sniffed at!

It seemed strange to have a day off but we headed back to Gatcombe to properly walk the course and watch some of Saturdays action. The course at Gatcombe was a little strange, often when I walk big courses the more I walk the more the problems diminish but this time every walk seemed to increase my concerns. Decided to make sure I arrived in plenty of time on the Sunday to see a few go first.

The course pictures are on my website here

My main concerns revolved around fence 4 a log on a mound with a stride to a ditch that suddenly came on you quickly.

4back_zps132fe2f5.jpg

Fence 7 an interesting combination of corners and the water towards the end. The one thing that I wasn’t keen on was the amount of drops on the course either as a step down or a significant drop on landing, There were 7 jumping efforts that involved some sort of drop and this did seem a bit punishing to the horses although on the positive side the ground was great.

So arrived in good time on the Sunday and quickly walked a few of the combinations to get plan a and b fully in my mind. Positioned myself where I could watch 4 and the corners at 7 and so the carnage began! On a bright note the log on the mound to ditch and skinny at 4 was jumping well however of the first 8 I watched at the rail to double of corners at least 5 had faults.

7_zps8e183d61.jpg

The water was riding little better with faults jumping in, horses tripping over the railings at the top or then running out at the boat. Safe to say I did not arrive back at the lorry in a confident frame of mind. In actual fact in a strong class only 37 out of 100 horses went clear!

Warmed up but even this was spoilt as there were stops on course constantly and just before I went Dan Jocelyn had a nasty accident at the corners and there was another lengthy wait. We eventually got on course about 30 minutes late.

My intention was to set off positively and take all the direct routes and hopefully move up a few places. Jumped the first 3 well before approaching 4, got a good jump over the log and then she saw the ditch and flung the brakes on, despite me trying to keep the shoulders up I was flung forward, I recovered got my leg on and she went and despite a slightly unbalanced position then carried on over the skinny house. Too be honest I wasn’t sure whether we had hesitated enough to be given a stop, she hadn’t moved back but I couldn’t judge it, I put it out of my mind and carried on over number 5 a straightforward fence and then through the strings, as it was strung the day before suddenly realising I shouldn’t have done and having to turn back! Over 6 and then towards the corners which despite the problems I wanted to go straight, I didn’t however get a good stride to the rails meaning I was off the first corner and unable to turn for the 3rd corner. I managed to turn and squiggle the long route before crossing my tracks! So by fence 7 we had one possible stop, one wrong side of a string and one unintended long route.

DSC_0135_zps7f9f4510.jpg

The video shows 4 and then the corners at 7

[video=youtube;3h4NreO3vhQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h4NreO3vhQ[/video]

So over a few simple ones nicely and into the woods down the big drop to the skinny which was nicely done. Then there was a sunken road type fence in the woods with a rail, drop down and then steep rise to another rail where we just slithered over. The bounce to the wall and hedge were easily done but she was a bit backward over the next 2 which both were on ground going away from you and she was just losing a little confidence with the amount of drop fences. We headed towards the water and considering by this time she was not going brilliantly decided to take the long route however this still involved a big hedge in! Got a good bit of impulsion and had a good jump in the water then had to make a couple of turns back on ourselves to the alternative route which really upset out rhythm, the second part of the water was deeper and she just left a leg on the boat nearly sending me for a swim! Luckily she got her landing gear out and kept her head up (and ears pricked) and we survived.

DSC_0170_zps84ed919c.jpg

DSC_0172_zps1a5deda4.jpg

DSC_0174_zps00dcedd4.jpg

DSC_0175_zpsdb4e0739.jpg

DSC_0180_zpsad31401f.jpg

Jumped the last 5 home and finished clear albeit very slow. A good wash down and lots of pats (I think she thought she had finished for the day!) Plenty of grass and strolling to keep her moving and at 2 we trotted up. No dramas here and we lay in 38th after cross country with show jumping in reverse order.

DSC_0192_zpsa1f0be4c.jpg

The less said (or written) about show jumping the better! I am still very upset about what happened but can see the positives. The course was fair and well within our capabilities. Considering she had been cross country already she came out and jumped really well keeping her shape and the two that came down could be laid at my door. However the main issue was despite watching the horse before miss the penultimate fence I went in and did exactly the same thing eliminating myself! No excuses I walked it when I walked the course, it did involve a turn back and a fence where you didn’t expect it and 5 other people made the same mistake

DSC_0235_zpsee36491b.jpg

[video=youtube;0CbthMPzatQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CbthMPzatQ[/video]

So the high of jumping clear in a 2* xc and the low of being eliminated in the show jumping really demonstrates the highs and lows I always promised of Shoestring Eventing. If I had written this eport a few days ago you would have had depth of depression indeed my Facebook and Twitter followers were absolute stars in giving the correct amount of sympathy and kick up the backside. I can see real positives in our 2* and at the end of the day I only did one fence less than anyone else!!

Heading to Dauntsey's new Intermediate to finish our season and dreaming of of CCI** and advanced next season. Sadly it appears I have a date with a consultant and possibly a few operations on my hip so we will do what we can!

georgiegirl

Visit site
Pip is such a superstar - I know its easy to feel gutted about the E but like you say its one fence less than than the others and she certainly doesnt know she had been eliminated!

I remember your reports on when you very first got her and the difference in her is amazing and so good to see :)

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Pip is such a superstar - I know its easy to feel gutted about the E but like you say its one fence less than than the others and she certainly doesnt know she had been eliminated!

I remember your reports on when you very first got her and the difference in her is amazing and so good to see :)

Yes found some old pics of her must do a comparison thread when I get a chance

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Gutted for you, but hey it happens - and at least others did it too! Onwards and upwards. You've done great this season, those pics are lovely. You should be really proud of yourself and her.

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
gutted for you, but missing a fence is an easy thing to fix isn't it :) at least you both had a good XC and SJ, with lots of positives to take away, and you are both home safe and sound.

Good luck for your next event :)

I just wanted to ask - as you work full time, what do you do to get her fit enough for this level - and what additional fitness do you do? I'm trying to plan my season next year to include time spent in the gym to get myself fitter. I noticed that after my Novice runs, I was nowhere near fit enough to ride a course that wasn't as straight forward as a BE100. J locks onto BE100 fences but at Novice, I really had to ride positive and steer more, and by the 10th fence I was knackered!!

rara007

Visit site
Gutting- but she looks fab :) You often see poeple do the same at driving cones- watch the person before them eliminate themselves, then doubt themselves and end up doing the same thing :(

rising_promise

Visit site
So much of this riding and competing lark is in our heads isn't it. As rara007 said above, you watch the one above make the mistake and make the very same mistake. I've done the same and would have won, it was only in a PN but still, it was very important to me at the time- would still be now!

Well done though, such a huge achievement to bring a horse on yourself to that level doing all the work yourself and being a real amateur with no facilities and a full time job, you've got lots of respect from everyone on here and we all hope you and Pip get to the top! :)

JEP

Visit site
Was so proud of both you and Pip at Gatcombe - don't think I've ever been so nervous before a x/c round, having seen the problems that fence 7 was causing - Pip is such a star and tries so hard for you. It's amazing to think how far you've come together in such a short time, as a true amateur rider (with a very professional attitude) to have got one horse to advance level is fantastic but to be heading that way with a second one is amazing. Really looking forward to Dauntsey - just can't believe the 2013 season is nearly over!

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
gutted for you, but missing a fence is an easy thing to fix isn't it :) at least you both had a good XC and SJ, with lots of positives to take away, and you are both home safe and sound.

Good luck for your next event :)

I just wanted to ask - as you work full time, what do you do to get her fit enough for this level - and what additional fitness do you do? I'm trying to plan my season next year to include time spent in the gym to get myself fitter. I noticed that after my Novice runs, I was nowhere near fit enough to ride a course that wasn't as straight forward as a BE100. J locks onto BE100 fences but at Novice, I really had to ride positive and steer more, and by the 10th fence I was knackered!!

With Pip I am very lucky the local farmer will let me canter in his fields these have a real pull up about 1/2 mile or so so really get the lungs working. I tend to work Pip every 4-5 days building up to 3 pulls up the hiland a canter around the top usually just over 5 minutes and at about 570 mpm

For me I don't do enough, I am lucky Pipis quite responsive and doesn't take too much out of me. I am rejoining the gym this winter to get fitter (but really hate it), however I think if I can get fitter, stronger and more supple then things can only get better!

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
Thanks SJ. I'm hoping to use our work gym during lunch time to see if that gets me a bit fitter. I hate it too! Wish there was a passive fitness you could do and hey presto you'd be fit, but sadly not!

I was going to do 30 mins in the gym twice a week. I was hoping that adding that to mucking out, riding and xc course walking it would make me fitter and stronger for next season. I have been researching the 30mins intense workout and whilst I'm going to dread it, I reckon its worth a try. I was just curious as I'm only planning to use the treadmill and rowing machine (poss a bike too) and no weights. Hoping weight training isn't required as I'm rubbish at them! You can hear on my helmet cam how out of breath I am in the Novice. (I breath heavily normally but I sound like an old man panting away!!)

:)