Piper has been kicked

Clodagh

Visit site
And is off to hospital.
He got kicked on the hock and stifle and now has a bone chip in his hock. He is soundish but his hock is huge. Of all his giant body to boot him on he got the worst two places.
He is going to Rossdales next Wednesday, poor boy.

So, loads of questions...
Should I get him being led off the bridle? Will they want that? He can wear a bit but I have never led from it.
How long, roughly, is box rest likely to be afterwards?
He has never travelled alone in the trailer, he loads well and stands in it, do I just bite the bullet? Its only a 505 so a bit small so I think no partitions bar the full length breast bar and do I cross tie him or just tie him normally? (I always tie to the front, not the side).

Having said loads I can't think of any more! No doubt theres more to come.

tabithakat64

Visit site
Poor Piper & poor you, I hope he has a speedy recovery.

Rossdales are great, mine went there for a lameness work up and then ongoing treatment, they do usually lead from a bridle.

I'd be tempted to cross tie if you aren't using a partition

sallyf

Visit site
Poor Piper & poor you, I hope he has a speedy recovery.

Rossdales are great, mine went there for a lameness work up and then ongoing treatment, they do usually lead from a bridle.

I'd be tempted to cross tie if you aren't using a partition

Agree with this ,they always lead from a bridle but make sure you tell them a bridle and not a chiffney which they also use.
I would also cross tie if no partition.
Fingers crossed for the op

Alec Swan

Visit site
No advice Clodagh, just sorry to hear about the boy. He's still only young, and he's still developing, so I'm sure that he'll come through this. Think Positive!! ;)

Alec.

Clodagh

Visit site
Thanks Alec. I am now undecided whether I should replace his grumpy old field mate with a lighter weight model, or whether it is just one of those things.

Clodagh

Visit site
It is a can of worms as regards the field mate, he is my brother-in-laws and I know I can send him back but it will create ill feelling with my sister-in-law. I know Piper is more important! The companion is a miserable old sod though. Families! Still at least field mate being old he won't mind being on box rest next to Piper for however long. In his defence Piper can be a PITA when he wants to keep playing when the other has had enough.

Thanks SN I have rather upset my own vets asking for him to be sent to Rossdales as they wanted to do it themselves but I decided it was Harely Street v GP - a no brainer decision wise.

Clodagh

Visit site
Having gone and rescued the horses from a sea of mud this morning you must have to admit that if you had to have a horse on box rest this will be the winter to do it in.

Had first lesson in the bit yesterday, unfortunately it was windy and Pernrose went mental in the stable so he got a bit excited but was pretty good. I had him in a french link as my rubber snaffle just turns over in his mouth, what would be best?

sallyf

Visit site
Having gone and rescued the horses from a sea of mud this morning you must have to admit that if you had to have a horse on box rest this will be the winter to do it in.

Had first lesson in the bit yesterday, unfortunately it was windy and Pernrose went mental in the stable so he got a bit excited but was pretty good. I had him in a french link as my rubber snaffle just turns over in his mouth, what would be best?

They will use a metal bit so the french link will be fine

Clodagh

Visit site
Thanks Sally, just did day 2 and he was an angel. If all your youngsters learn as quickly and are as easy as him you must have an easy life!! LOL.

Clodagh

Visit site
He is huge, about 17.1 and bum high. Luckily he is a saint to do anything with. To get him to Rossdales he has to go in my 505 though so I am a bit worried.

Clodagh

Visit site
Well he loaded and travelled like a dream. He was cross tied with a full length breast bar but no breech, he has sat on the ramp most of the way by the poo streaks and the state of his tail.
Felt horrible leaving him there, and his companion has gone to the yard where I work while he is away so not a horse on the farm, it has been many years since that happened.

sallyf

Visit site
Well he loaded and travelled like a dream. He was cross tied with a full length breast bar but no breech, he has sat on the ramp most of the way by the poo streaks and the state of his tail.
Felt horrible leaving him there, and his companion has gone to the yard where I work while he is away so not a horse on the farm, it has been many years since that happened.

Bless him,fingers crossed it all goes well

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
scheisse :(

one of the worse places to get kicked a joint. Best place he is going, its so important to keep it clean as infection in the joint can lead to arthritis later on or worse. I hope he is going to be OK.

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
He is being really incredibly good. He has never been stabled since he was a foal, apart from a couple of hours once or twice a week but he has settled beautifully.

The hock is a bit swollen but I gather he may always have a big hock now, also surgeon said that a chip had scraped the cartilage surface in the joint and they are the ones that tend to end up with more swelling. I don't care what it looks like as long as it works. As the joint is scored I don't know what the prognosis is really, anyone have any experience?

Staples out on Thursday, when the vet came yesterday to check and change dressings she said I will need to walk him out for her then to see if he is sound, so from 0 - 60 I suspect!

Thank you for asking.

sallyf

Visit site
He is being really incredibly good. He has never been stabled since he was a foal, apart from a couple of hours once or twice a week but he has settled beautifully.

The hock is a bit swollen but I gather he may always have a big hock now, also surgeon said that a chip had scraped the cartilage surface in the joint and they are the ones that tend to end up with more swelling. I don't care what it looks like as long as it works. As the joint is scored I don't know what the prognosis is really, anyone have any experience?

Staples out on Thursday, when the vet came yesterday to check and change dressings she said I will need to walk him out for her then to see if he is sound, so from 0 - 60 I suspect!

Thank you for asking.

I would put him on something like cortaflex now.
We had a WB that was operated on for a subchondral bone cyst with a poor prognosis and she had cortaflex all the time she was on box rest.
Shes just been backed and has never looked back

Clodagh

Visit site
He has started on it now. The vet said it was impossible to predict what the long term outlook is, which I suppose is good news as normally they seem to give the worst case scenario.

Lgd

Visit site
My friend's now 21yo gelding had two bone chips in the hock and it was infected as the kick that caused the chips caused a puncture wound. He was around 4yo when it happened. He is still sound and jumping happily up to 1.30m