Places to look for horses for sale

Limbo1

Visit site
Anyone got any secret/good places to look for horses/ponies for sale? Looking for my daughter's next horse and already getting disheartened/fed up.
Also now that FB are clamping down on animal ads FB is tricky. I have posted wanted adds, very specific and people still send details or wrong horse due to location, age and price. Drives me crazy I thing oh that looks nice, read all look a videos then to discover it is x2 our budget - why send it?

So far using Horsemart, horsequest, preloved and NFED.

Any suggestions?? Thanks

be positive

Visit site
Being very specific is good but only if the budget fits the horse you are asking for, often wanted ads are very limiting in what the buyer wants, frequently unrealistic, have high expectations and a budget that will rarely buy the horse that genuinely fits those expectations.
If people are sending details of horses at double your budget it suggests you may need to up that or drop your criteria to be less restrictive, maybe consider older, younger or go further afield to view if something ticks all the boxes.

If you are in the NFED area keep looking on there, I have sold a few through the site, most within days and I am on the edge of the area, it is now always the first place I look when buying for clients but you do need to go on every day to make sure you don't miss one.

Limbo1

Visit site
Being very specific is good but only if the budget fits the horse you are asking for, often wanted ads are very limiting in what the buyer wants, frequently unrealistic, have high expectations and a budget that will rarely buy the horse that genuinely fits those expectations.
If people are sending details of horses at double your budget it suggests you may need to up that or drop your criteria to be less restrictive, maybe consider older, younger or go further afield to view if something ticks all the boxes.

If you are in the NFED area keep looking on there, I have sold a few through the site, most within days and I am on the edge of the area, it is now always the first place I look when buying for clients but you do need to go on every day to make sure you don't miss one.

Thanks - I have been specific on what want to do and the type of rider my daughter is, area and budget. I know I don't have a massive budget (£4k max) but hoped there would be something out there. Age not fussed but as I have stated looking for steady ride for a just 12 year old a just backed 4 year old or ex racehorse are not really suitable, yet get sent them.
NFED is great, have had 2 ponies from there in the past - it is my go-to. Also good for loans.

be positive

Visit site
You will find something at that budget, is it reasonable but you will have to weed out the ones that are not suitable, some people seem to send details out without reading the actual ad and wonder why they get no interest, much the same as the badly worded ads that are supposed to sell the horse 'to the first to view'

Limbo1

Visit site
What are the requirements.... We all love a horse hunt!
So do I for other people - lol.
14.2-15.2 for tall 12yr old. likes sj up to 80cm but not brave or really that competitive, but doing NSEA and PC. Wants to do more xc, must be genuine as current pony is tricky to jump and takes any opportunity to stop. My ideal is a 15hh older steddy Eddie who will canter sedately round a xc course ideally going clear but not too fast. She loves Pony club - rallies, camp etc. Just starting to meet friends to hack out together so needs to be sensible.
I am hoping that the fact she doesn't want to be super competitive opens it up. We do have a 14.2 version of the above but is retired on bute looking pretty in the field. Really want her but bigger.

w1bbler

Visit site
Anywhere near Buckinghamshire? try sd equestrian on facebook, think I've seen a few advertised on there in your budget/ spec,

Limbo1

Visit site
Anywhere near Buckinghamshire? try sd equestrian on facebook, think I've seen a few advertised on there in your budget/ spec,

Thanks there does seem to be some nice ones. Do you have any experience of this dealer? Just looked on a dodgy dealer FB group and some very mixed reviews.

w1bbler

Visit site
Thanks there does seem to be some nice ones. Do you have any experience of this dealer? Just looked on a dodgy dealer FB group and some very mixed reviews.
Never bought a horse from her, but had some lessons with her when she was in Devon, including on horses she was selling. Seemed fairly straightforward.

crazyandme

Visit site
I had a just backed horse based with SD Equestrian for 3 weeks for her facilities (before she moved to Devon), she is straightforward, and doesn't sugar coat stuff. I think that you either just "get" her or you don't. I'd say worth a chat and see whether you feel she can help or not!