Places where you can send your horse for time off/grazing livery

LittleTero

Visit site
Hi everyone, a big thank you in advance to anyone who can help :)

It may be that I have to go to work in London for a year of so. This isn't set in stone yet but I think it is worth investigating my options.

I'd like to find somewhere I can turn my pony out for this period to have a year off. Preferably in a great big paddock with some others doing similar, with someone who goes and checks them daily.

Does anybody know of any places that offer this. I did look at some retirement homes but they are specifically for retirement horses (quite rightly so :))

I am based in the South West so this area would be good but I am obviously open to all suggestions, just putting out feelers at this stage to see what is out there.

If anybody has any ideas re cost for this type of service please do say also.

I would also consider the idea of her going to someone as a companion, although she may be suit a lot of people as she is a TB and needs Plenty of good grass. Mind you sometimes this does suit those who struggle to find a companion for their poor doer.

It would be for about a year, maybe a bit longer or shorter depending on job specifications.

I would usually put my tough head on and sell or deff loan, but this mare is a bit quirky and I'd hate someone to come off her or for her to end up at the bottom of a pile somewhere.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

iconique

Visit site
I have a friend in Essex that takes retirement, rehab and turned away horses? Pm me if you want more info? Not sure if she has space though?

Arzada

Visit site
Some retirement yards will take horses in your situation. Do you mean that you actually went along and looked at the retirement yards or did you just look online? I phoned and went to see one retirement yard in an area where I wanted to keep my riding horse living out and they would have taken him and I would have carried on riding. There have been threads on here about retirement yards in Cornwall and one poster had a retired horse there and another which was there for a period and then went to home.

Swift08

Visit site
I know someone in Surrey that does full grass livery (including worming and trim by farrier), there are riding horses there but most are retired or youngsters. My friend has moved abroad and left her quirky mare there, who is absolutely loving life in a nice big field! Seem to remember she only paying about £150 a month too. I've come across a few retirement livery yards that will take horses in a situation similar to yours :)

LittleTero

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies so helpful and kind :) I will pm tomorrow at a less ungodly hour! Just got in from a busy evening shift.

Thanks again!

Micropony

Visit site
Hope you don't mind me asking, but why not bring the horse with you? Lots of us work in central London and still manage to keep horses. Personally I wouldn't be able to do it on DIY but if you can cope with having the horse in livery then there's no reason it can't work.

LittleTero

Visit site
It would be cost for me unfortunately. Whilst I could afford to pay for the grass livery, full livery is just a bit out of the price bracket. In fact probably totally out of it :) it may be that the job just takes me to another part of the country in which I would deffinately take her with me.

After a lot of thought I've come to the conclusion that a stint in London is what I'm going to have to do in order to progress in the world, hopefully a year would mean I could then go back to being a country girl, with a bank balance that allows me to become a fully fledged owner of transport and a subscription :) well here's to hoping! Thanks for the suggestion though.