Places you've ended up in where you weren't meant to be :)

Annagain

Visit site
We had a new permissive bridleway open up in the area so a friend and I went to give it a try. The start was well signposted so off we went but we got to a fork in the track with no signs to tell us which way to go. We knew roughly the way it headed and the right hand track made sense so we opted for that one. It opened up into about 5 lovely big fields which followed the path of the river. We had a lovely canter, all the while thinking how wonderful this new path was. At the end of the 5th field, we reached a fence and the signposted bridlepath was the other side of it. The path actually went through the woods along the top of those fields and then dropped down the other side of the fence into the river at a crossing point. It was at this point we realised we had taken the wrong fork. Going back round would have taken about an extra 1/2 an hour but the only way across the river was a rickety old wooden bridge, the banks were too steep to get down to cross the river. We decided to get off, then I crossed the bridge, before my friend sent the horses over one at a time to meet me at the other side.

Feeling smug that we were now the right side of the river with all 4 of us still alive, we got back on and looked for a way to rejoin the path we should have been on. There wasn't one. Luckily there was a broken stile (I suspect other riders had been in the same situation as us, had tried the same solution and hit it) so, instead of being about 4' high was probably only about 2'9". We decided to jump it but the only problem was my friend's mare was decidedly temperamental about jumping. Our only option was for me to go first and keep cantering the other side so she'd be more concerned at being left behind! She eventually made it over at the 4th attempt by which point I was about 1/2 a mile up the next field - luckily back on the bridlepath.

About a week later we went back to try the proper path and bumped into a warden for the Woodland Trust who asked us if we'd known of anyone cantering through the fields as dog walkers had been complaining about seeing hoof prints where they shouldn't be. We said it was the first time we'd been there, walked to the fork in the path (only about 30m away) and then innocently went back to the warden to ask him which way to go as it wasn't clear and maybe that's why people ended up in the fields. He told us the way and agreed a sign was needed there. The next time we were there it was very clearly signposted.

McFluff

Visit site
I remember years ago when I was about 18 or 19 I as out hacking on a lovely chestnut mare we used to have and turned into some tracks and was riding along when the tracks divided, I took the left one as wan't sure which one to take and I ended up in the middle of a Nudist Colony !!! Came out of there pretty quickly I must say :rolleyes:
This reminds me of a hack along our local beach. I was on one of the really safe (but fun) mares who never spooked. Except (as I found out that day) when a nude man walks out the sea. She was very offended by naked man and we were half way up the beach before I managed to gather my reins (and stop laughing) enough to pull her up!

sunnyone

Visit site
For those of you who are old enough to remember Harvey Smith's glory days.

I learned to ride in Menston, Yorkshire. As I wanted to learn more about horsekeeping I would stay on after my formal school lesson and one day I was asked to take 3 ponies up the hill to their grazing. On my return I was chatting to the owner about said ponies.She suddenly realised that I had put them in the wrong field! Hers was next door and the one they were then in belonged to Mr. Smith. Before she had Harvey on the phone having one of his famously "blunt and outspoken" conversations I had to run the mile back to the fields, catch the ponies, and move them into the correct one. Not an easy task!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
For those of you who are old enough to remember Harvey Smith's glory days.

I learned to ride in Menston, Yorkshire. As I wanted to learn more about horsekeeping I would stay on after my formal school lesson and one day I was asked to take 3 ponies up the hill to their grazing. On my return I was chatting to the owner about said ponies.She suddenly realised that I had put them in the wrong field! Hers was next door and the one they were then in belonged to Mr. Smith. Before she had Harvey on the phone having one of his famously "blunt and outspoken" conversations I had to run the mile back to the fields, catch the ponies, and move them into the correct one. Not an easy task!
Was that Miss Harvey?

Lexi 123

Visit site
my mother car broke down so I had to ride down a main road to our house I had to keep my horse in a garden until we could get someone to move her to the yard.

Last edited:

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Out on my pony with a friend on a big horse. Her horse spooked into me and knocked us straight into a dyke. Very cold and wet for the rest of the ride ?

HorseMaid

Visit site
Got lost in woods, horse buggered off when I had to get off and do a gate, walked for ages and found horse cantering gaily round a field. Got back on horse, we are now on a random farm with interconnecting fields but all gates off the farm are chained. Spend about 2 hours trying to find a way, end up back in woods, horse buggers off AGAIN when I have to do the gate (this was an issue, thankfully I haven't got her any more), even horse realises she is lost and comes cantering back to find me, we eventually return home and I was too embarrassed at my lack of navigation skills to admit to anyone what a crap adventure we had been on!