Plaiting manes

Nic

Visit site
Is there a correct number?

I always thought it was just an uneven number on the mane + the forelock, but I just read that it should be 7 or 9. I have never heard this before.

dieseldog

Visit site
I always thought the number depended on what type of neck your horse had - short neck more plaits to make it look longer, long neck less plaits. Also how horrible and thick the mane is.

vicm2509

Visit site
Odd number but forlock makes it even. My boy is IDxTB but has more of an ID neck so I usually put in 11 or 13 to make it appear longer.

Nic

Visit site
ditto IDxTB & I normally go for 13 too.

I don't do showing so will stick with that I think.

Thanks everyone
grin.gif

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Use cosmetic plaiting - as you said further up, long neck less plaits to make the neck look shorter and if the horse has a short neck put in more plaits to make the neck look longer.
Always have an uneven number of plaits going up the neck (especially) because if you have an even number of plaits the neck looks cut in half and it looks awful (if you get what I Mean).

Wow, I did learn something at college after all
smirk.gif
tongue.gif
grin.gif

K9Wendy

Visit site
I just keep plaiting til I run out of mane... never bother counting as long as they look evenly spaced and same size!

kick_On

Visit site
i do have big gg and hate plaiting, but what i do is pull it, alot and then still get 9 in neck - hope you can see and cheat a bit with takin off mane on withers and a little higher, but that hidden by brestplate (sp)
big gg
B123.jpg

little one
s123.jpg

but they are wide little roses and welded in
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

pocket

Visit site
God if its supposed to be 7, I'd have footballs as plaits
crazy.gif

I have up to 15/16 in total
grin.gif
Big old horse that wont let me pull the mane, so I have to solo comb it, looks ok though.
laugh.gif