Plaiting tips and tricks?

Love

Visit site
Personally, I like the naf plaiting spray as it gives grip to the hair (tried supreme products easy plait and it just made the hair incredibly slippery.... not sure if I was using it wrong?!). I plait down and band with silicone bands (I find these much better than the "normal" type) making sure to tuck up the end bit. I then roll up and sew in place with waxed thread which i find keeps them in place tighter than normal thread. Then use a plaiting wax stick to smooth down any fly-aways (also do this again before going in the ring if they come back out again) hairspray, hood on and pray to the God of plaits that they stay in.

Visit site
I'm not a fan of plaiting up the night before. It can't be comfortable for the horses.

There was a racehorse who sadly died on track and was taken to the vet school for the students to post mortem. When they stripped the skin off of the neck all the muscle along the top of the neck was bruised from being tightly plaited (horse broke a leg so defos didn't fall on the neck) and the plaits would have been put in no more than 3 hours before the race. So if this is what it can do on a few hours I hate to imagine how sore and annoying it is with them in overnight.

Squeak

Visit site
I'm not a fan of plaiting up the night before. It can't be comfortable for the horses.

There was a racehorse who sadly died on track and was taken to the vet school for the students to post mortem. When they stripped the skin off of the neck all the muscle along the top of the neck was bruised from being tightly plaited (horse broke a leg so defos didn't fall on the neck) and the plaits would have been put in no more than 3 hours before the race. So if this is what it can do on a few hours I hate to imagine how sore and annoying it is with them in overnight.

That's terrible Elf. I've often wondered if it effects them in some way, I've never noticed a lack of performance but I may take my plaits out straight after dressage after hearing that.

Nasicus

Visit site

I've always thought that too with tight plaits. It's uncomfortable enough for us and we do it willingly to ourselves!

Visit site
I've always thought that too with tight plaits. It's uncomfortable enough for us and we do it willingly to ourselves!

And nothing is more satisfying and relieving at the end of the day undoing it all and letting it free.

Given that horses have a high pain tolerance I doubt they notice it much but it must annoy them at some point!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Now that I don't show, when plaiting I keep the very base loose and just keep the actual braid tight, it does make for more hooded plaits but I always think the very tight ones must be uncormfy!

humblepie

Visit site
I used to do looser plaits for dressage then must admit stopped plaiting for dressage. For showing I don’t pull the top that tight but do the main part of the plait tight. Generally don’t plait overnight unless a really really early start.

4Hoofed

Visit site

Cheap human hair wax!! Personally the joints in my fingers are horrendous, and I wear rubber gloves to give me a grip on the hair, I like my mane a little long, I section as I go, I think once you’ve practiced a few times you get a grasp on the ideal width for your horse!

I comb it it separate then use a hair brush a few times to evenly distribute the wax and smooth the hair down nicely. The best thing I ever learnt with plaiting was to keep at least one thumb on top at all times, keeps it tight! I band the bottom the stitch to roll up! Though one thing I’d say is make sure you start each plait the same way ;) makes them look uniform and if you’re leaving a little hood on they’ll all match! I’m not an expert, and I think the main thing is practice and perseverance!!

Starting to practice with raffia with the new boy so we’ll see how I feel about it all in a few months!!

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
There's a jolly good reason I stick to natives! I rarely compete in stressage so leave natural. I can just about plait a mane, tails forget it. Cheap hair gel at base to get it lying down.

Reacher

Visit site
I also like doing this plait (when I’m not showing), as it meant I could leave Skylla’s mane long.
View attachment 110310

You section as normal, then start at the top of the mane and plait down and band. Then thread the end of the plait through the base of the plait to make the ‘ball’ and then introduce the long bit of plait into the next plait. A little like this but I plaited down further as I liked the scalloped effect:
This looks like a game changer to me.

I couldn’t quite tell from the video - are they using the bunch from the previous plait as one of the 3 bunches in the next plait? Or mixing the hair in with all 3 bunches in the next plait? (I haven’t described that very well - hope it makes sense!)

Chippers1

Visit site
Buy a native ;) I don't plait generally but if I have to I just use water, band at the base and sew them in. If i've had to plait Buzz any time recently I do a running plait, he's got half a mane due to sweet itch and this hides it better than individual plaits do!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
This looks like a game changer to me.

I couldn’t quite tell from the video - are they using the bunch from the previous plait as one of the 3 bunches in the next plait? Or mixing the hair in with all 3 bunches in the next plait? (I haven’t described that very well - hope it makes sense!)

Well I do mine slightly differently from the video anyway, but it gives the idea! I use the previous plait and add it to one of the 3 sections in the next plait, this is because I plait down longer and band them, if I didn't band the end or didn't want the visible plait going to the next plait I think I'd distribute the bunch across all three sections of the next plait, if that makes sense!

I can video how I do it tonight if you want 😁, though it will not be a pretty plait as Skylla is pretty feral as a happy hacker now!

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
Ready to get slated for this with regards to the showing world...haha:D
I will thread for County + showing, however these images are from local shows where I have used my trick, I also do this for dressage ;)

Buy bun pins. They are like wide 'bobby pins'.
Plait down as normal and then fold/roll into shape. Then push the pin through the plait so that the long ends push through, then push the ends left and right so they spread out on either side of the plait across the back. Then hairspray.
That's it... you can put 2 in for super thick plaits. But these hold every single time, even on the thinner mane by the withers.
I have only used on my boys black manes and you can hardly see them! As i said, I would use needle and thread where needed but this hack makes plaiting up so quick and they look really good!

Abi Lyle posted a good viedo of how to use them on her instagram a while back.
I used to buy 'quick knots' but they did work out expensive as they would never really go back to being fully useable once used.

It feels like, and probably is a sin :D but they look good enough!

Attachments

• x.jpg
    x.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 8
  • xx.jpg
    xx.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 8

Nasicus

Visit site
Ready to get slated for this with regards to the showing world...haha:D
I will thread for County + showing, however these images are from local shows where I have used my trick, I also do this for dressage ;)

Buy bun pins. They are like wide 'bobby pins'.
Plait down as normal and then fold/roll into shape. Then push the pin through the plait so that the long ends push through, then push the ends left and right so they spread out on either side of the plait across the back. Then hairspray.
That's it... you can put 2 in for super thick plaits. But these hold every single time, even on the thinner mane by the withers.
I have only used on my boys black manes and you can hardly see them! As i said, I would use needle and thread where needed but this hack makes plaiting up so quick and they look really good!

Abi Lyle posted a good viedo of how to use them on her instagram a while back.
I used to buy 'quick knots' but they did work out expensive as they would never really go back to being fully useable once used.

It feels like, and probably is a sin :D but they look good enough!

View attachment 110379
View attachment 110380
Ooh, you're going to put the Quick Knot guys out of business :D

PoniesRock

Visit site
Like lots of others have said, silicon bands are worth the extra 50p! Also, if you have a season as such, buy a new pot of bands every season. Old ones get dried out and brittle and there is nothing more infuriating than bands snapping.
Im also a big fan of the Tescos blue hair gel, cheep and cheerful and does exactly what the horsey equivalent does for £1 rather than £10.

Reacher

Visit site
Well I do mine slightly differently from the video anyway, but it gives the idea! I use the previous plait and add it to one of the 3 sections in the next plait, this is because I plait down longer and band them, if I didn't band the end or didn't want the visible plait going to the next plait I think I'd distribute the bunch across all three sections of the next plait, if that makes sense!
Thankyou yes that does make sense.

Your plaits with the scallops look very pretty!

I almost fancy having a go now , though at the moment all I have to work on is either retired mare’s long thin mane or mr H’s growing out hogged mane!

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
Fifty years ago I had perfected the art of plaiting tails, and got paid to do them on others horses.

Nowadays I hardly ever see a tail like the ones I did as they all seem to be done overhand nowadays.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Thankyou yes that does make sense.

Your plaits with the scallops look very pretty!

I almost fancy having a go now , though at the moment all I have to work on is either retired mare’s long thin mane or mr H’s growing out hogged mane!

I think long, thin manes get a really good effect with this technique :).

Edit: This is Skylla’s mane normally, it’s not that thick:

Visit site
Fifty years ago I had perfected the art of plaiting tails, and got paid to do them on others horses.

Nowadays I hardly ever see a tail like the ones I did as they all seem to be done overhand nowadays.

You see a lot of both types of tail plait in racing but you rarely see a plaited tail anywhere else these days. It's all shaved which looks horrible and must itch like hell!

lynz88

Visit site
Waxed string and quik-braid are essentials IMO. I also find smaller braids hold better....large thick braids never seem to work on my guy. Also, no pulling the mane first (unless thinning it). I find it easier to braid a certain crossovers down and tie it off and then cut the remaining mane.

I am no super braider like some people I know back home but was super proud of these.....

Hallo2012

Visit site
sprout plaits.jpg

mane prep is key.

this guy has LOADS of thick, wiry native hair....its like plaiting a hedge.

do not rake i repeat do not rake or you will ruin it for years! i scissor it level then snip up in to the blunt edge or nip the ends with a pulling knife to remove the pudding bowl effect. refuse to pull as just think its a horrendously outdated and miserable way to maintain the mane.

water water loads of water, little bit of cheap human hair gel.

stands on steps and plait UP for the first 2 crosses to keep the roots looser (and avoid the pony tail headache they must get from tight plaits) and then plait as tight as possible to the end.

roll up the plait tightly pushing it in to the hood created by the loose roots, and stitch in with thick waxed thread, bands will not work on a thick wiry mane.

Hallo2012

Visit site
Waxed string and quik-braid are essentials IMO. I also find smaller braids hold better....large thick braids never seem to work on my guy. Also, no pulling the mane first (unless thinning it). I find it easier to braid a certain crossovers down and tie it off and then cut the remaining mane.

I am no super braider like some people I know back home but was super proud of these.....

View attachment 110393

laughing loads at the size of your plaits compared to mine!!!!!! talk about ends of the spectrum lol

Visit site
I learnt to plait working in racing. Before that I had only ever had native ponies and the only plaiting I did was to lay a mane to the right side.

For showing I band the bottom then stitch up. (Not my best attempt but I have no other pics of them from over the years)Screenshot_20230401-080044_Facebook.jpg

I only plaited his tail as he was only doing 1 show that year and hadn't been shown for a few years so I was loath to pull it for one show.
Screenshot_20230401-080100_Facebook.jpg

Plaiting for racing is banded. Plait down, fold in half, in half again then band it.

Screenshot_20230401-080647_Facebook.jpg