Plaiting up for Dressage...?

Sol

Visit site
Doing my first prelim dressage comp on my new horse tomorrow, and just wondering what to do about plaiting him up? His mane isn't pulled because..... well, I'd prefer to let it grow personally (might pull it eventually though if need be) so can't really plait him up in the traditional way :/
Was considering either doing a running plait or trellis plait, I used to do the trellis plait on my mares mane for dressage and it looks pretty good.... but, not sure?
I'd like to plait up because it shows that I've put some effort into turning him out nicely, but do you think I should, or just leave it?

Also is it majorly important to have long hair in a hairnet? My hair seems to disagree with them... it's so long & thick that it always ends up looking more of a mess :/

Sorry for all the questions!

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
If it's unaffiliated then you don't need to plait, or wear a hairnet! Just try to both look tidy. A running or trellis plait might look really smart, and a bit different which could be a good thing, it would certainly show effort! If you think he would look good in one of these then go for it, I think it would look really pretty. Good luck for the test!
laugh.gif

Sol

Visit site
haha, we'll try to look half decent then & hope for the best! :p Hmm, trellis plaits take more effort to get them out again than put them in sometimes, all them little bands! Oh well, nothing better to do while I wait for my score I guess xD
Might even try to get some photos if we stay tidy enough!
Thanks!
smile.gif

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
Id say plait, however you can, effort is always appreciated and can sometimes influence how lenient etc the judges are on marking (sometimes not always!)

Long thick hair (join the club), I just put mine when its being unco-operative, in a simple plait so it is neat and tidy and just hangs down your back.... maybe try this! although dont always put a bobble at the top of the plait as can make the back of your hat sit on it and its REALLY uncomfortable!

Sol

Visit site
Anything for the possibility of better marks!

Will try plaiting my hair then, I guess aslong as it's out of the way it shouldn't be too bad? and tidy... preferably! Maybe I'll just have to get it cut at some point xP

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
ye, i generally get mum to plait mine as I am incompetent at doing my own hair if it doesnt involve just scraping it up! hehe

Mine has been cut recently so now just about will cope in a hair net!!!

Best of luck, hope we get some piccies!

Sol

Visit site
haha, my mum might pull my hair better than I could do the horses if I get her to do it! xD
Have to flick my fringe back under my hat too which is a bugger - really do need my hair cutting! Horse colicked about 10mins before I was due to set off for the hairdressers last time! Typical
tongue.gif

Will see what I can do, not sure how to post them on here but will try!
laugh.gif

muffinino

Visit site
I always do a running plait for dressage and hunting (considering it for jumping too - last week I had trouble getting my reins as T's mane is so long I kept grabbing handfuls of that instead
grin.gif
).

Personally I think it shows of the neck nicely for dressage and I do like a good running plait. I too struggle with hairnets; mine either looks perfect first time or just refuses to co-operate!
mad.gif
But I would say wear one anyway, I can't stand long hair bouncing all over the place, it's distracting. I think it is polite to turn out as well as possible, which unfortunately means faffing with hair - horse & human
laugh.gif

Good luck for your test
smile.gif

spookypony

Visit site
Plait! A running plait is so simple and quick, and looks very good indeed!

As to long hair, I put mine in a long braid with a band at the top and bottom, and then fold it under several times, a bit as though I were plaiting a horse. I fasten it with several bands, and then wrap a very fine hairnet around just the braided part to keep stragglies in, and secure the net with another band.

Sol

Visit site
well, we'll find out tomorrow if I win the hair war!
Might have to have a practise at plaiting myself up tonight xD
I do agree that everything looks much neater when it's all plaited up and such, it's just such a pain at times! ah well, I guess that's part of dressage in the end :p

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I'm so glad you asked
grin.gif
. I want to keep the Dizzy one's mane long, but appreciate that I 'should' do something if we were to have a go at dressage (and if we ever, ever get to jump!). I'd planned on lattice plaiting (I'm guessing that is the same as trellis plaits)
cool.gif

Piccies
grin.gif

Sol

Visit site
Yeah, lattice & trellis are the same I think
smile.gif
I love long manes... shame they can't magically shorten themselves for shows though at times!

Promise to get piccies :p Should have plenty of time, the comp is held at the livery yard I'm on and I have an hour to spare before I have to start warming up and nothing better to do! xD yay!