Plan A feed or Plan B ......??

WelshTilly

Visit site
My mare (Welsh X TB) i got last year she was overweight so went on a strict diet and lots of exercise, she gradually dropped the weight, going into winter on the slightly slim side she is now still on the slim side with Spring on the doorstep....She is worked 6 days a week 3 x schooling sessions up to an hour 3 hacks from 30mins up to 1.5 hrs....

When i first got her she was being fed Winergy Low Energy i remained on this as a token feed as the rest of the yard got fed, however it was difficult to get hold of locally so switched to Spillers happy hoof, during the winter i upped her feed (AM scoop of happy hoof, PM scoop of happy hoof plus scoop of speedi beet) coming back into spring ive dropped to just a scoop of happy hoof as spring grass is coming through....

So my question is as im just about out of Happy Hoof do i

A - stick with it Its a complete feed however as I don't feed in the quantities required so im kinda guessing she is getting am I wasting my money and she is obviously getting the nutritional value from other sources...

B - better of just getting a chaff & some pony nuts then adding speedi beet when she needs it..?...reccomendations for chaff welcome there are so many......:D

Vietnamese chocolate fingers waiting!!

wench

Visit site
Try a lo-cal balancer instead? This would be better than chaff and pony nuts, and would probably cost the same amount to feed a day.

Shadster

Visit site
Spillers lite balancer has a better spec than Lo-Cal and having swapped about a year ago my pony's feet are much better on Spillers. It is also about £5-£7 cheaper than Baileys.

Spillers has less iron in than Lo-Cal which was a good enouhg reason for me to swap as there is no point supplementing for iron unless you know for sure the horse is anaemic.

Baileys Lo-Cal also contains molasses whereas Spillers doesn't and I was looking for a completely molasses free diet for my pony.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Fast Fibre [Allen & page] gets my vote for good doers, it is cereal and barley free, plenty of vitamins and minerals and inexpensive, my boy usually gets something added to make it a bit more exciting, Dengie molasses free chaff and/or oats, depending on his workload.

Ella19

Visit site
I don't suppose you are near Surrey? I have about 10kg of oat staw chaff I cam give away if you or anyone wants it for free as I've swapped to pure feed. Oat straw has very little nutritional content so great for bulking up feeds for fatties!

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Try pure feeds, they are excellent.
Lots of different type so there will be one ti suit your horse, it is totally balanced so she will get all the vitamins and minerals she needs