Plan. Am I being realistic?

S14Tobin

Visit site
Right. I'm not one for making plans, normally, but... here goes. I have a cob gelding, who I've owned for 12 years nearly, since he was approx 7 months old. In that time, he has done nothing, and I mean nothing - the odd meander around the lanes etc, but thats it. He's recently been diagnosed with arthritis on both front pastern joints, but is completely sound on bute (it took 2 vets to see the lameness I could see without, but thats purely because I 'know' him and could see something wrong. Anyway. As mentioned he has done nothing, but, I THINK... he's fairly well put together for his type, and basically he is wasted. So. Plan. 2012. I want to enter him into something. Ive never been in a showring in my LIFE. but I want to do somehting for US. I work fulltime, and riding time is limited, as OH works shifts and I have kids. Could I school him enough to get him to the standard, and bring him up to some kind of standard enough to take him into a showring? I'm talking local... nothing special. I just want to achieve something for us. If anyone is local enough who has any experience, who might be possibly willing to help, it would be so gratefully received.... any advice really? Or.. am I mad? I can take honest constructive critisism! honest! Thanks if you get to the end without laughing!!!!

laurajane

Visit site
I think you could do it :D

Only local show level it's something that'll give you some time together and to have a bit of fun... it's not the end of the world if you don't get placed at Local Level really, it's all do, coz its fun :)

Visit site
It is certainly achievable. First of all decide what sort of showing class you want to enter. If you want to do a Ridden Class you will need to school him to be able to work in a balanced trot and canter on both reins and teach him to maintain a rhythm through his paces. You will also need to teach him how to stand square. You could even do an Inhand class this year and work up to doing a ridden class. As long as he will walk, trot, turn and back up and stand obediently when being lead you will be fine.

Good luck! :)

S14Tobin

Visit site
Oh cripes, yes, only thinking of something VERY local!!! Aim for next year, as I think it'll take me that long to get him used to the idea of working, and get him looking decent! I may well need plenty of advice and help getting him going work-wise, it's over 20 years since I did anything other than pootle out for a hack - and Im only 34!!!!