Planning advice

Judithann

New User
Visit site
Hi just wondered if any one had any advice, I have an acre of land at the bottom of my garden which in the 1980's was purchased for the farmer and fenced, it has stables which i am fairly sure had the proper planning permission back then, i have lived here for just over 10 years with my horses on the land 8 years ago we put 2 (i will admit) large portacabins next to the stables for all of our tack, feed, bedding, equipment etc. last month a planning officer turned up and told me i couldn't park my horsebox on the land and i would have to remove the portacabins, my main question is where am i supposed to put all the equipment, feed, bedding etc. which i need for the horses.

PurBee

Visit site
How odd. Presuming as you said the stables had permission and the land is registered as agri/pasture land, stables/shelters usually easily get permission.
portacabins are temporary buildings due to not being build into the land, yet there are planning laws regarding temporary buildings, so there should have been an application to site those Longterm.
A horsebox is a mobile trailer and that is the oddest statement by the planning bod. If its equestrian registered of course horseboxes will traverse the property and be parked from time to time.

The laws have probably changed, but there was a temporary buildings law that enabled a person to pitch a caravan/motorhome on land theyre working on for a limited time, without needing planning. If the temp. abode was going to be there longer than this time frame planning needed to be gained.

I’d enquire if you can apply for retrospective planning permission for temporary buildings (portacabins) on the land, stating their use Is linked with the equine facilities.

Maybe a neighbour has reported you? You know the type with twitchy net curtains! ?

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
You can find out about historic planning application by going to your local district council/unitary authority website - ours enables you to search by post code.

You probably need to speak to a local planning consultant who can advise you as to local planning issues - they can guide you through the process of making a suitable application so that you can have somewhere to store equipment.

meleeka

Visit site
Hi just wondered if any one had any advice, I have an acre of land at the bottom of my garden which in the 1980's was purchased for the farmer and fenced, it has stables which i am fairly sure had the proper planning permission back then, i have lived here for just over 10 years with my horses on the land 8 years ago we put 2 (i will admit) large portacabins next to the stables for all of our tack, feed, bedding, equipment etc. last month a planning officer turned up and told me i couldn't park my horsebox on the land and i would have to remove the portacabins, my main question is where am i supposed to put all the equipment, feed, bedding etc. which i need for the horses.
I had similar with a caravan, but when I was able to prove it was horse related (used for rug drying and storage). I was able to keep it. I was told if someone complains they have to act, so one of my neighbours must have reported it.

The trouble with councils is that they can interpret the law how they see fit,‘so it’s down to individual councils what they allow and in my case even then the rules changed depending on which officer it was.

Judithann

New User
Visit site
You can find out about historic planning application by going to your local district council/unitary authority website - ours enables you to search by post code.

You probably need to speak to a local planning consultant who can advise you as to local planning issues - they can guide you through the process of making a suitable application so that you can have somewhere to store equipment.

Thank you i did try to look at historic planning but couldn't find it ill try again

Judithann

New User
Visit site
I had similar with a caravan, but when I was able to prove it was horse related (used for rug drying and storage). I was able to keep it. I was told if someone complains they have to act, so one of my neighbours must have reported it.

The trouble with councils is that they can interpret the law how they see fit,‘so it’s down to individual councils what they allow and in my case even then the rules changed depending on which officer it was.

Thank you I would be happy if they just let me keep one of them but to say they both have to go is ridiculous

Judithann

New User
Visit site
How odd. Presuming as you said the stables had permission and the land is registered as agri/pasture land, stables/shelters usually easily get permission.
portacabins are temporary buildings due to not being build into the land, yet there are planning laws regarding temporary buildings, so there should have been an application to site those Longterm.
A horsebox is a mobile trailer and that is the oddest statement by the planning bod. If its equestrian registered of course horseboxes will traverse the property and be parked from time to time.

The laws have probably changed, but there was a temporary buildings law that enabled a person to pitch a caravan/motorhome on land theyre working on for a limited time, without needing planning. If the temp. abode was going to be there longer than this time frame planning needed to be gained.

I’d enquire if you can apply for retrospective planning permission for temporary buildings (portacabins) on the land, stating their use Is linked with the equine facilities.

Maybe a neighbour has reported you? You know the type with twitchy net curtains! ?

Thank you I was reading about retrospective ill look into that, Yes someone defiantly put their ore in the planner said they had had a complaint.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site

Ours only has back to 1990 on the website, and interestingly hard copy records prior to that are 'unavailable'