Planning for a new dog- Japanese Akita?

Moobli

Visit site
Yes sorry! I meant we are looking for a breeder who is planning on breeding their bitch in the next 12-18 months.

I'm sensing they are more likely to show aggression than the two breeds I'm used to.

I'm not to keen on the face of a rottie hence why we have a Doberman.

It needs to be a big dog and not whimpish- the OH can't abide dogs that cower and sulk all the time- our friend has a viszla- gorgeous looking but he follows the owner everywhere and is quite a whinge so that put us off.

If you have time for training and plenty of exercise, have a look at the working line GSD.

Edited to add - having read the full thread now, a GSD will not be the right breed for you if you are looking for a more independent breed. GSDs are very handler dependant - which makes them usually biddable and relatively easily trained so may not challenge you in the manner you wish.

Last edited by a moderator:

millikins

Visit site
If you want a clever, independent, handsome and wilful large dog with very few health issues then go for a standard poodle.

Cherryblossom

Visit site
We once fostered an Akita, and while almost all of our foster dogs had various issues, Akitas were the ones we said we'd never take again. She wasn't a bad dog, but almost totally untrainable- wasn't driven by food, touch, praise, balls etc... Just wanted to run. (And we are terrier people, so usually love independent thinkers!)

She was rehomed to a lady who subsequently got a staffy. The Akita was eventually PTS by her after seriously attacking the other dog several times, without warning. The injuries that the owner sustained while unwisely trying to break up the fights out her in hospital twice and after ignoring us and the charities for months, she eventually had her put down after she ripped the othe dog's throat open and punctured her carotid artery.

Maybe it was her bad start in life, but she never showed any signs of aggression with us, and yet clearly had the ability to escalate quickly and catastrophically...

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
A ridgie sounds like it would suit your needs perfectly, I adore my girl!

13529070_10100317515820417_8789235364582547389_n_zpsk1heskzz.jpg

Wow, she's fabulous!

Forgive me my ignorance but how can a dog be 'too obedient'??

One of the Keeshonds my dad looked after was sent to be trained by the police. Mother took him to the shops one day, asked him to sit. She was halfway home before realising that he wasn't with her. He stayed where he was put until given the correct command. Too obedient?

Clodagh

Visit site
Wow, she's fabulous!

One of the Keeshonds my dad looked after was sent to be trained by the police. Mother took him to the shops one day, asked him to sit. She was halfway home before realising that he wasn't with her. He stayed where he was put until given the correct command. Too obedient?

I have got home before and realised I have left the dogs sitting at the release pens, a good half mile away.

Zero00000

Visit site
I've only know 2 Akitas, brother and sister, they both had fabulous temperaments with humans, and we're really trainable, they came to the yard I was at daily, owned by different people, but my god did they have some atrocious fights! They would get on fine 9 out of 10 days but on that 10th day the fight would be scary! The sister tore the brothers ear off

Sandstone1

Visit site
I've only known one Akita. She was very aloof. Couldn't be off lead because she would just run off. Not very affectionate with people
Not good with other dogs either. It might just have been her but it's not a breed I would choose.

yhanni

Visit site
I love Rotties but I also had Rotties x English Mastiffs. They were really lovely dogs, trainable but not overly clingy. Good looking and energetic but didn't shed overly much. Not hugely trustworthy with chickens but good with other dogs. My brother bought one subsequently as he was so impressed with my two and his is a delight - a really nice family dog.

Shantara

Visit site
The few I've seen at shows have been brilliant, with the exception of one, who was muzzled and lunged, snarling at anything that moved!

What about a Tamaskan? Also with the exception of one, all the ones I've met (and I've met a lot!) have been great :) All breeds have their good and bad points. My girl is fearful of people, especially men, but we put that down to my abusive boyfriend who frightened us both in that crucial stage of learning, 8-12 weeks. She's getting much better though!
http://tamaskan-dog.com/Blustag/tamaskan.htm