Planning for trekking?

Dry Rot

Visit site
Hypothetical question: If I was to rent a field, buy a dozen ponies, and set up as a trekking centre to trek on the local beach and forestry, would I need Planning Permission? I'm in Scotland, if that is relevant.

Just curious and I have absolutely no intentions of doing so, but the question recently came up in conversation!

Also, are there any other consents/licences/permits, I might need?

Quantock-cob

Visit site
I would imagine massive public liability insurance. And proof to prospective clients that you or lead rider are qualified to lead treks. Not sure about planning as don't live in Scotland.

Hoofprints in the Snow

Visit site
I seem to remember years ago before health and safety, just about anyone could offer trekking without permits/licences, it was different if it was a riding school though.

CarolineJ

Visit site
It would depend on what the field had been used for in the past - you might need planning permission for change of use from agricultural to leisure/recreation/business use (not sure what it would fall under up here, to be honest).

You'd also need a riding school licence (even just to do treks) from the local council, massive public liability insurance and one of the trek leaders qualifications would probably come in handy as well.

Singing Dawg

Lang may yer lum reek
Visit site
Used to be a group called Scottish Trekking Riding & ....... or something or other along those lines.

They said you needed toilet and changing facilities, disabled facilities, either BHS qualified staff or the associations own exam qualified trek leaders.

Way too much expense to set up formally and to obtain appropriate insurance, and that was about 19 years ago when I looked at it, God only knows what it would be like to set up today.

As for planning, if it's farm diversification i'd hope you were exempt, otherwise another expense and a whole load of hassle with access, environment, health and safety, water...........

Such a shame as Scotland has so many lovely places to explore on horseback but it's made so difficult and so expensive you need to be either extremely rich or already established to show it off!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Leading treks in the highlands... What a lovely sounding job!

(If you did set one up, you know where I am ;) )