Planning permission for block paving in my field?

Visit site
Thought I would ask on here, we want to put block paving down in my field to store large bales of hay on, with a pallet underneath of course, so we can sweep up any excess hay, as it's wasted over the winter and just causes a mess. But I don't know if I need planning permission as there is no concrete base? Thoughts?

Goldenstar

Visit site
Yes I think you will .
You can tip a certain amount of stone / rubble a year on tracks but I think any more requires permission and may constitute a change of use with all the issues that brings .
If the land already out of agricultural use .

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If you are going to use pallets I wouldn't bother. I would pin a tarpaulin to the ground and put the pallets on that.

It would definitely need planning consent here (NW) to pave a part of the field.

ycbm

Visit site
Have to admit that if I was going to do it I would put it where no-one would see it and I wouldn't apply for consent even though I know it should have it. But block paving isn't cheap and tarpaulins are, so that would be my choice anyway.

Visit site
Have to admit that if I was going to do it I would put it where no-one would see it and I wouldn't apply for consent even though I know it should have it. But block paving isn't cheap and tarpaulins are, so that would be my choice anyway.
We were given a load of block paving haha typical we might not be able to use it

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Concrete slabs laid over sharp sand, so not a permanent fixture, should do the job well and ought not to offend the planners. I’ve laid similar in various places. It should help stop the damp rising and getting to your hay.

ETA I imagine that you could do the same with block paving.

ycbm

Visit site
Concrete slabs laid over sharp sand, so not a permanent fixture, should do the job well and ought not to offend the planners. I’ve laid similar in various places. It should help stop the damp rising and getting to your hay.

I was given a very clear instruction by my local planners that any aggregate base in a grass area would, unless it is used for the management of farm animals, or the parking of vehicles used for farm animals, require planning consent. Horses are not classed as farm animals.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
My thought would be if you get challenged how difficult will it be to remove it if just on sand base?
Although having just ressurected my block paving path this weekend which was spreading badly just having people up and down it I'd wonder if just on sand it would survive the weight of hay bales?

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Block paving isn't fixed in place unless you're going to lay it on concrete so I can't see how you'd need pp. Just dig kerbs in at the edge.

blitznbobs

Visit site
If agricultural tracks are permitted development I would argue if anyone objects that it is a piece of track that’s not finished yet do they want you to put down more?

Hack4fun

Visit site
If it is on the land then it is fine. If it is in the land then it is not. That's the general rule. Hay on pallets should be fine but digging in paving should need planning permission. Why not phone your planners and talk it over tiwh them - they are usually helpful.