plantar fasciitis and riding.

potto

Visit site
The doctor has just told me I have this. Has anyone else had it. I have plans that do not include putting my feet up...I was hoping having my feet in stirrups would count as physiotherapy especially if I ride xc? Would appreciate anyone's experiences..

xMoodyMarex

Visit site
I have this, so can sympathise with you. I was thinking along the same lines, hoping that feet in stirrups would help, but my mum who is a physio told me this wouldn't really make any difference. I wear shoe supports (specific plantar fasciitis ones) and my mum also advises calf stretches and tennis ball rolling (on soles of feet) I've had it for years, if I actually did all the exercises every day it would probably have gone by now, but I just never get round to doing them on a daily basis!

D66

Visit site
I have had it. A few years ago I tried out a wii fit - it told me I was leaning back too much! Now I consciously bend my knees and lean forward a bit to put equal weight on toes and heels and the PF is hugely reduced.
I find the £20-30 insoles as effective as the purpose made versions at £100+.
Rising trot makes it worse. :(

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
I first had it 4 yr ago, it got better over 6/9 months, then I walked over very stoney ground 3 months ago in flat pumps, and it started all over again, and can't say it's any better after doing the exercises , £30 insoles for shoes and yard boots, anti inflams, doctor said just time will resolve it and of course loosing weight!!! I am trying all of these, but with a dodgy knee on other leg I am walking like a waddling duck!

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
I had it too, in my left heel only,it wasn't surprising as I was always on my feet in steel toe cap boots with no cushioning inside, so over time it gave me plantar fasciitis.
I stopped using the boots and bought some of these from costco (£13.49)

http://www.drscholls.com/productsandbrands/Products/activeseriesinsoles/index.aspx

it's gone completely, at one time it was so bad (especially in the mornings as I got out of bed and the tendon shrinks overnight doesn't it) I could not walk at all.
Felt like I'd really had a bad bruise on my heel.
Hope yours goes soon OP it's very common to get it and very painful.
Oz

potto

Visit site
Gosh it does seem quite common then? Thank you for your replies and advice. I confess to feeling a bit miserable about it today but on the other hand its not something that will stop me riding. It just means course walking becomes more of a challenge but then I have been living in denial for a while now I know what it is I guess it can only improve if I make an effort... :)

MyBoyChe

Visit site
2 things I was told would help, and they did. Keep a can of something cold in the fridge and use it to roll under the foot whilst you're sat on the sofa, gently backwards and forwards. Also stand on the bottom stair on the balls of your feet and gently rise and fall. Both definitely helped me. Like cremedemonthe, mine was worse in the morning and if I sat still for too long, was absolutely crippled when I first got up. No idea what set it off but havent suffered too much for the last couple of years. I ride with flexi stirrrups as well, that also helps a bit.

Dazed'n'confused

Visit site
2 things I was told would help, and they did. Keep a can of something cold in the fridge and use it to roll under the foot whilst you're sat on the sofa, gently backwards and forwards. Also stand on the bottom stair on the balls of your feet and gently rise and fall. Both definitely helped me. Like cremedemonthe, mine was worse in the morning and if I sat still for too long, was absolutely crippled when I first got up. .

^^^ Me too! The cold can thing really helped and I was also told by a physio friend to soak my feet in hot water to relax them. I was in agony & was at the point of not being able to walk the dogs or do the horses without being in excruciating pain. All these things helped, as did riding as my heels were down (similar to standing on a step & stretching the feet) & also pedalling on a bike - again that push down helped the tendon under my feet.
It took a while but it worked & I haven't suffered since, although I never walk anywhere without insoles...

WelshD

Visit site
I have it although I don't ride it did affect my ability to get around and exercise my pony properly for a while

I find that changing shoes during the day can alleviate it as opposed to wearing the same shoes all day (insoles always are moved from pair of shoes to pair of shoes) so maybe wear different boots for riding than you use for chores

I find soft soled wellies better than muckers

My one big bit of advice is you may well find it fades and stays away for months even years but of you get the slightest twinge that its flaring up do try to down tools and rest to head it off, this can work and I have managed to avoid a full scale pain-fest on several occassions - but if you push your luck and not listen to your feet it will come back again with a vengence!

Toffee44

Visit site
I got mine through running. Still have it a year on.
Mine is worse in the car.

Before getting up I stretch. I try to avoid being bare foot. When I run I now always stretch and wear calf compression which really helps.

These insoles Are in my trainers and work shoes.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...ot+insoles&dpPl=1&dpID=41sCZy31B8L&ref=plSrch

I also try and keep taped up with KT tape.

I do mine like this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0x23gSEqKQ4

I try and roll with a tennis ball when I remember.

potto

Visit site
You guys are brilliant thank you for your ideas, tips and links I will be following them up. Anything else you think of seriously I am all ears... :).

Goldenstar

Visit site
Get a can of cold can of drink and roll it about on you instep ( seriously soothing ) for about ten minutes then using something like the belt off a dressing gown push your heel down using the dressing belt like a stirrup .
It's a seriously painful nasty thing to have , if you can see a good private physio ultra sound and or lasers settle it down .
I had insoles made but the ortho heel ones are almost as good I got mine in boots.

Jericho

Visit site
I have had it about a year in both feet, even had a steroid injection to no avail. Lots of good advice on this thread which all help. Insoles a must, try not to wear flip flops too much, stretch the muscle,change foot wear and if all else fails antiinflammatories. Sadly it's very common but you just have to be sensible and manage it properly. Riding has never made mine worse in fact it's the only exercise I can do with repercussions!!

Spotsrock

Visit site
I use happy feet insoles
Never loose fitting shoes, basket ball boots are great and my Ariats for riding. I'm also finding bendy stirrups like the sprenger ones (tho mine are much cheaper version) really help.

potto

Visit site
That's interesting a couple of you have said about the bendy stirrups. I have always been a bit scared of those but now is the time to get some I think. I have visions of pinging myself off like a catapult lol....

Merrymoles

Visit site
Riding is the best thing for mine! I think it's the stretching of the muscle. As someone else said, it's a bit like the bouncing on the step exercise. I, too, have flexi stirrups.

I have found that certain footwear brings it on - I have two pairs of walking boots, one makes my foot begin to hurt but the other doesn't - so it has been trial and error. Too long in my wellies can make it sore, while I can spent all day in my riding boots.

Good luck OP - once you find what works for you, it will hopefully not be such a problem.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Can def recommend the bendy stirrups. Mine were about £50 so mid range. They allow me to play at flexing my foot and ankle whilst out on long hacks which seems to help a lot.

DragonSlayer

Visit site
I was inhand showing yesterday so after all the prep. walking, running and standing about, I was feeling it tea-time last night so spent the rest of the evening with my foot elevated and on a bag of frozen veg for about 20 mins (couldn't stand it any longer!) and happy to say it's not too bad this morning. Will be doing the same each evening as got lots of horsey stuff on this week......

saltpetres

Visit site
My mum and I both have it, ugh. That's what comes from having stupidly high arches and working long retail hours on concrete floors I guess :rolleyes: I get a lot more pain from walking around on hard surfaces than I do from riding, for some reason. I guess I'm able to flex in a more natural way. It's the concrete that's the killer. Although the shock upon dismounting sometimes :eek:

I don't have anything helpful to say unfortunately, other than I also have bad sciatica, and when that's bad, the feet are also worse. I don't know if it's in my mind or not, but doing gentle yoga stretches that stretch and relieve the sciatic nerve and calf muscles somehow helps my feet too. I am also seriously hyperflexible and fibromyalgic though, so it may just be a me thing. If that's nonsensical and unhelpful, I'm just here to offer a bit of sympathy :)

potto

Visit site
All sympathy welcome thank you. Feeling sorry for myself after 2 days at work power walking and a jump lesson where I fell off :-( and made a total tit of myself...also talking more nonsense than normal with the regular painkillers :) looking forward to having a bit of a Dr prescribed rest now and trying out the gel pads, stretches, bits and bobs of knowledge and advice I've accumulated over the next few days. Oooh and shopping for flexi stirrups :)
Determined to get rid of this blight....may the force of the heal heelers be with us!

Mister Ted

Visit site
Yes I suffered this.Anything to take the weight off the heels is good so once you are in the saddle it should be ok.Resting the feet( apart from the gentle exercises recommended )as much as possible and special gel insoles help.Also found a variety of footwear and insoles to change the pressure points on the heel is good.Mine was quite severe in both heels then disappeared,recurring again off and on.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The trouble is that although it won't hurt riding, you are irritating it by constantly stretching an already irritated spot!

Mine was aggrevated by a lack of straightness further up that the physio sorted, ice bottle rolling and I have superfeet insoles (they feel 'hard' but do seem to work!) in anything I spend much time in, and cheap 3/4 arch insoles in others like my wellies. Very rare I get an issue now.

Annagain

Visit site
I have it too, but I've never found riding a problem, or a help either! It comes and goes for me but it's quite bad at the moment as I've torn my left calf muscle so I'm putting quite a lot of weight on my right leg. I second rolling something cold under your feet but I've found a 500ml coke bottle filled with water and frozen is best (they live in my freezer permanently). The contours of the bottle seem to match my feet and really get into the arch to relieve the pain there (I get pain all over my feet not just in the heels). Calf stretches really help - although I can't do them at the moment. Insoles are a big help but I get really frustrated that I can't fit them in 'nice' shoes for work. Inside boots for the winter is fine, but I can't get them inside any summer shoes or find any summer shoes with a decent amount of arch support. I work somewhere where I need to be fairly smart.