Plantar Fasciitis - Can I ride??

southerncomfort

Visit site
I know, I know....I should have asked my physio but I forgot!

Anyone had it and continued riding? I've had it for 2 weeks (new running shoes crippled me) and I have totally rested from all sporting activities including riding, but it's occurred to me that actually it might be ok.

Advice is to regularly raise the toes and drop the ankles so riding should make me better right?? ;)

southerncomfort

Visit site
Thank you AA. I have long leather boots that are really comfortable.

I guess the other issue will be making sure my heel and ankle are stable and protected.

I'm just totally bored to tears not being able to run or ride!

Dazed'n'confused

Visit site
Well I'm no physio but I can definitely say that riding helps me, in fact, if I don't ride much mine gets worse! As you say, the foot position when riding is precisely what they recommend! :D

southerncomfort

Visit site
Yes I carried on riding. As AA said getting off is interesting :-(

I feel for you, it's so painful xx

Oh good, glad you were able to carry on riding. Will perhaps have to park my mare next to a bench or low wall when I'm dismounting then!

It is painful and a real sod to get rid of. Physio said I could try a short run yesterday but unfortunately I'm in pain again today so think I need some more rest. :(

southerncomfort

Visit site
Well I'm no physio but I can definitely say that riding helps me, in fact, if I don't ride much mine gets worse! As you say, the foot position when riding is precisely what they recommend! :D

Yay! I'm so glad I asked! I have seen pictures of a very weird sock that people suffering from PF can wear at night and it basically puts your foot in to exactly the position it would be in when we ride.

Thanks everyone! I'm slightly less depressed now! ;)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The only slight issue is if that if you have something acute going on it can aggravate it having it in constant flex. It wouldn't stop me though ;) just a chat I have had with my physio though my issues always stem from higher up.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Oh good, glad you were able to carry on riding. Will perhaps have to park my mare next to a bench or low wall when I'm dismounting then!

It is painful and a real sod to get rid of. Physio said I could try a short run yesterday but unfortunately I'm in pain again today so think I need some more rest. :(

Muck heaps provide soft landings, just remember to keep your hand on the breastplate to stop yourself sitting in SHoneT.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I know, I know....I should have asked my physio but I forgot!

Anyone had it and continued riding? I've had it for 2 weeks (new running shoes crippled me) and I have totally rested from all sporting activities including riding, but it's occurred to me that actually it might be ok.

Advice is to regularly raise the toes and drop the ankles so riding should make me better right?? ;)
I did but be careful dismounting as that is the painful part, take him up to mountain block so less likely to damage more

Thorthepony

Visit site
I can't help with the riding issue but get yourself so inner soles to go into all of your shoes. I was suffering badly from PF and they made a huge difference to me. Have a look on Amazon for the inner soles for PF, well worth the money and I started to notice the difference in less than a week. They are designed to fully support the arch of your foot and make sure you walk straight too. They are very good!

Merrymoles

Visit site

Yep me too! When I couldn't ride for other reasons for a while it was a lot worse. I do use flexi stirrups too but that's more about my cream crackered ankles than my PF.

southerncomfort

Visit site
This is great! Thanks everyone!

I didn't ride today simply because my mare was being a bit of a loon today (bad case of spring fever!) and I don't really want to get pulled about or have to jam my heels down with force in order to stay attached to said mare.

I've ordered some PF gel shoe inserts which I really hope help. I have to say that walking around the field in my wellies causes me the most pain of all. Thinking of getting some cheap walking boots instead.

Would be interested in hearing how long everyone took to recover. Google seems to think anything from a 1 month to 3 months. :(

MyBoyChe

Visit site
The 2 exercises that really helped as well were these: Stand on the bottom stair, balance on the balls of your feet and gently raise yourself up and down for 10 reps, stretches the foot and def helps. Keep a can of drink in the fridge and use it as a foot roller, gently back and forth for a minute or to, several times a day.

Jericho

Visit site
I can't help with the riding issue but get yourself so inner soles to go into all of your shoes. I was suffering badly from PF and they made a huge difference to me. Have a look on Amazon for the inner soles for PF, well worth the money and I started to notice the difference in less than a week. They are designed to fully support the arch of your foot and make sure you walk straight too. They are very good!

Do this - it was the only thing that helped despite having Physio and steroid injections. I rode with mine as it did actually help. Dismounting is the painful bit.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Lots of fab advice, thank you ladies! Not looking forward to my first dismount, good thing my mare is only 14.3hh. But she is also very easy to park so will look for a soft landing first!

Will do a couple of short rides first just to make sure it doesn't make it worse. Have physio again next week, don't know whether to ask him or not as he might say no and then I'd have to disobey him! ;)

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
To answer your main question, yes I was never told not to ride, and I don't find it aggravates mine.

Mine went within a few weeks of getting made-to-measure orthotic inserts for my shoes. Fast forward a few years and it returned, despite having (off the shelf) orthotics in every pair of shoes I wear. I have just bought these
https://www.buyfootangel.com
And I am astounded at how well they have worked, can highly recommend.