Planting Plan around Stable Yard and arena. Advice Please.

Calico1

Visit site
I'm very happy that we've at last had planning permission approved for a stable yard, American Barn and an arena. Planning have said we need a planting plan which must include soil type, species of shrubs and trees to be planted etc. They will then need to approve it before we start any work whatsoever. I've rang a few landscape gardeners who say they don't do this so who do I get for a planting plan? Thanks

Theocat

Visit site
I would have thought you need a landscape gardener! Perhaps they mean they don't do it for free if the work isn't guaranteed? Would they provide a plan if you paid them?

Esmae

Visit site
You're not doing a garden though are you. I would think that all you really need to do is put a vague outline of spaces where you would put trees and hedges. ie a hedge around your arena or down your drive with maybe a clump of trees at one end. I would just say British native trees (You can make a short list of horse friendly trees) and a native mix for hedges (hawthorn etc) and soil type, whatever it is in your area..ie clay or loam or sandy (any farmer will tell you that) and put it in with your drawings. At the end of the day you don't actually have to do it at all. Unless they want you to hide your stables or something and even then, once you have the planning it's up to you really. When we did ours they asked us a similar question. The only thing that brought them out in spots was the word Leylandii!! Don't even think of them and you'll be fine.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I was warned not to plant a hedge too close to the perimeter of my new arena by the Charles Britton peeps, who installed it. The roots can grow into the arena underpinnings and break it up, playing havoc with the drains. I can't remember the minimum gap I was supposed to leave if I did plant a hedge, it was in the region of 4 metres IIRC, but you'd best check that.