Platelet rich plasma injections

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
Anyone have any experience of this? The vet has suggested giving my horse injections of it as he has some damaged cartilage in a joint, I don't really know much about ti so wondered if anyone had any experiences?

Auslander

Visit site
Hi! Just been pointed in the direction of this thread. Alf had prp in a lesion in his suspensory ligament 5 weeks ago, and I'm waiting for the vet to tell me when she's coming to scan him, so will be able to let you know how well it worked for us very soon. I'm a mine of info about the procedure- so feel free to ask any questions!

cellie

Visit site
Hi my horse had prp in dec last scan was excellent lesion healed and scar/tissue nearly back to normal.:D

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
Thanks Auslander and cellie, that is good to hear. Sounds like it is worth doing then? MIne is for carilage damage rather than soft tissue but presumably it should still work just as well? Did your horses have to have much time off/box rest afterwards? Mine is currently off anyway but has just started being allowed in the field again and I don't want him to be stuck back in a stable for too long unless absolutely nessecary.

cellie

Visit site
My boy had month box rest then restricted turnout for another month.Hes doing really well ,is going away Tuesday to be backed as he had been done badly and has some issues running being ridden. I was told 2 mths walking 2 trotting then canter work ,obviously been bit different for me as I cant ride him but have walked and some lunging lots of ground work.:D

Jojo_Pea4

Visit site
My horse had this 4-5years ago when it first came out. I had to give him longer off as I broke my leg after his treatment but my vet reckons he made such good recover as he stayed on 10-20 for such a long time giving it a chance to repair. I'd say he has done harder work since the treatment than before.

SCMSL

Visit site
I did it on a horse who had arthritis, and he improved dramatically. He had the same time off as with any other infiltration.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Mare I was riding last year had PRP for tendon injury. Sound again now.

AshTay

Visit site
My old boy had it for a SDFT injury a few years ago. I don't think it made any difference. But it didn't do any harm either and the insurance paid for it.

saz5083

Visit site
It tends to be used more for soft tissue than joint issues. Had a long chat with vet about it a few years back when my lad damaged cartilage in his knee and we went for IRAP as it was app more successful at the time. It did work to an extent with my lad, and he has had no deterioration in the joint in the last two years according to his last xray and scans but he will never return to the same level of competition he was at due to the extend of the damage that was already there.

applecart14

Visit site
Anyone have any experience of this? The vet has suggested giving my horse injections of it as he has some damaged cartilage in a joint, I don't really know much about ti so wondered if anyone had any experiences?

Yes my horse had this done, and a few months later was and still is jumping, dressaging and fun riding!

The whole process took about an hour , involved sedating the horse, placing in stocks, giving a sedative, taking blood from a vein in the neck, placing the blood in a bag which is hung up, anti coagulants and something else are added, and then over a few minutes the platelet rich plasma is serarated from the blood, then finally it is gathered and re-injected into the tendon.

My horse had a slight sprain of the lateral branch of the suspensory tendon which did not respond to LW shock wave therapy, or rest. The vet suggested using this technique (can’t remember how much - apologies but did it on insurance, may have been circa £700). The vet said there is a 40% chance of the injury reoccurring but until it does I will carry on competing him as it may never happen, and if it does the whole procedure will have to be caried out again.

Bailey is currently jumping around 3ft and competing unaff dressage up to elem and fun rides. I intend to do a bit of XC later in the year, but am a bit loathe to enter a ODE as having to pay a large amount of money up front and then having to cancel due to ground conditions being too dangerous for his injury is too expensive and a waste of money.

I am careful about what surface I ride on, and monitor his leg. I also exercise in bandages, I use the John Whittaker ones with the fleece which attaches to the elastic so there is no danger of over tightening them. I feel bandages give more support although my vet said when a tendon is going to go nothing will stop it (other than a plaster cast)!