Platinum Plus wood pellets at Pets at Home

Mrs B

Visit site
Well put it this way: I use shavings as the main bed but the stable slopes slightly into 'wee corner', where I use pellets to absorb any excess. I often use Pets at Home own brand cat litter wood pellets and actually find they do a better job than the Platinum Plus in there at the moment ...

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Yup. I wasn't sure at first... and on the last thread I posted that I thought own brand might be slightly darker but since the question was asked I've looked a bit harder and think there's really nothing in it and if anything own brand is more absorbent. My local PAH is selling more own brand for horse bedding than platinum plus I think. So other people have found it better too.

meleeka

Visit site
This is timely. I’ve used my first half pallet of Platinim Plus and was thinking of trying the own brand as there’s piles of it at my local store.

Nasicus

Visit site
Ooooh, now this is interesting! I get family discount from p@h, this would make it around £4.80 a bag :eek::D
I shall have to stop by a grab a couple bags of either and see how they hold up, as I'm just using them to pad out my beds now!

honetpot

Visit site
I used to use my supermarket.com to work who’s own brand cat litter was the cheapest per kg then hide the spend in my food shopping. I just used to use it for wee patch’s with straw over so I only used two supermarket bags a week.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Having just seen how much the pallet price is right now, I am seriously thinking to get by the next few months with bags from pAH. Would never have even thought to look if I hadn't seen it mentioned here :)

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
At the present time a full pallet of Platinum Plus from White Horse is £305. The equates to £4.69p per bag (£1.30p cheaper)
Half a pallet is £180 which equates to £5.62 per bag (£0.37p cheaper)

Unless you are getting serious discount from Pets at Home then White Horse is supplying them cheaper.

meleeka

Visit site
At the present time a full pallet of Platinum Plus from White Horse is £305. The equates to £4.69p per bag (£1.30p cheaper)

Unless you are getting serious discount from Pets at Home then White Horse is supplying them cheaper.

You aren’t comparing like for like. Pets at home stock the animal bedding version here (with the cat on the front)
http://www.whitehorsebedding.co.uk/

I paid around £5.60 a bag for a half pallet and White Horse are £6.56.

Last edited:

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I bought mine in the summer for £280 a pallet but I was intrigued about whether the Pets at home were cheaper. I got them to weigh a 30 litre bag and it was 16.8kg whereas the PP are 15kg so it’s worth looking a price per kilo for a true comparison.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site

They might be cheaper to buy in bulk but I don't need many bags and I don't have room for a pallet so I only bought 6 and they will probably last me until February. It was the convenience of finding them at PAH when I didn't know they did them and letting other people know about them in case of emergencies which prompted my initial post.

Nasicus

Visit site
Picked up all the bags they had on the shelf yesterday (only 7, but still!)
Worked out at around £4.80 per bag once staff discount was applied (have family working there), so 11p per bag more than if I were to order a full pallet directly from them. However, big difference being, I didn't have to dump £300+ in one go in order to reach that level of discount. So I'd say it's certainly viable IF you can get some sort of discount. Without discount, it works out the same as buying bags of Blue Ribbon wood pellets from my local feed store.

They did also have two bags of AgriSelect Wood Pellets, at £5.59 (£4.48 for me), so I grabbed them too to try.

meleeka

Visit site
I popped into my local store yesterday and Pets at Home own brand are now the same price as PP £5.99. I got a couple of each and the Pets at Home ones are whiter and smaller pellets. I’d love to find out who actually makes them .....

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site

The pallet price has really shot up - a year ago it was £245, I think last time I bought in the summer it was £280... I am going to take a punt that the price may got down after the winter... if it doesn't then I'll get a pallet in March but I think I'll fill any gaps with a few from PAH and see what the pallet price does in the meantime. I could do without forking out a big lump sum at the moment!

Nasicus

Visit site
Laid a fresh bed down last night, 3 bags of platinum plus and the two bags of agriselect. Both fluffed up on adding water, I perhaps added a bit less than usual to lots of inactivated pellets, but this suits me as mare is soggy. Shook it out into a nice bed and so far it seems to be exactly the same stuff, just in a bag with a cat on it. The Agriselect ones were darker/browner, and the pellets themselves seemed to be about half the length of the platinum plus ones.

Will report back on how it settles and goes once the horse is coming in again, but so far so normal.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Ok..have calmed slightly. It's only 60p a bag. I was thinking it was £1.60 for a bit there. Still a 10% hike though. Might check out the B&M ones!!

{138171}

Visit site
Jolleyes pet store do JJ cat litter Wood pellets 60kg for 16.99 they where really good too. I put them under straw in my wet elderly geldings bed.