PLEA FROM HORSE SANCTUARY

Wundahorse

Visit site
A Kent based sanctuary has been increasingly overwhelmed with old,chronically lame horses that owners no longer want to keep,and who expect the sanctuary to take on full care and responsibility for these poor,suffering souls.The sanctuary manager has been mystified by the reaction of the owners when she recommneds PTS as being the kindest option,only to be told that her view is cruel.!!.IMHO i agree with the sanctuary manager as it would be much kinder to do the right thing rather than allow the horse to suffer,which would be compounded if they changed hands at that time of their life.It is surely responsible to PTS if there is no chance of recovery.I would rather do this than worry about what could happen,and risk more suffering and pain.

Tuffles 23

Visit site
It makes me mad :mad: why cant people do the right thing by there old and lame horses ,sanctuarys are there for the truly needy , i have two old guys and thay are my responsibility and have been true friends to me and my kids (and still are) and the last face thay will see on this earth will be mine
rant over .

rascal

Visit site
Think its the same for all sanctuarys. People seem to think they should take on all unwanted/lame horses and they just cant cope with them all. Leaves them with no room for the ones who really need a home.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
I think some can not afford the vet's fee
I am sure they can't afford the vet fees, but there has to be a trade off, a compromise, if the treatment is for example £10K per annum, no one could afford the fees, but they can't expect a charity to take over payment, they have to do the decent thing.
If for example you sent the RSPCA out to an old sick cat, it will be put down they don't do this because they want to kill cats they are being pragmatic.

bumblelion

Visit site
Agree with rascal.

IMO they should be pts. Iv got it in my will that if I die my two are to be pts and cremated and scattered with me! Most people look at me gone out if I mention it, however I am the only horsey one in my family. One of mine is arthritic and I took on free as a companion and my other has certain issues. So I know they're not peoples "ideal" horses. I'd much rather they were at peace than sold or given away to an uncertain future.

touchstone

Visit site
I think some can not afford the vet's fee

That is a good point as vets fees and disposal are expensive, however using a local hunt or knackerman would be cheaper and the least we can do for old lame horses, I appreciate that for some even these costs will be hard to bear.

I would also pts rather than pass on an old/lame horse.

flowerlady

Visit site
I am sure they can't afford the vet fees, but there has to be a trade off, a compromise, if the treatment is for example £10K per annum, no one could afford the fees, but they can't expect a charity to take over payment, they have to do the decent thing.
If for example you sent the RSPCA out to an old sick cat, it will be put down they don't do this because they want to kill cats they are being pragmatic.

I think you misunderstood I mean't they probably can't afford the vet's fee's to have them pts. In my opinion it is going to get worse with the economy as it is. I agree they should have them pts but approx £300 to £400 is more than some can afford.

flowerlady

Visit site
That is a good point as vets fees and disposal are expensive, however using a local hunt or knackerman would be cheaper and the least we can do for old lame horses, I appreciate that for some even these costs will be hard to bear.

I would also pts rather than pass on an old/lame horse.

Well our local hunt wanted £140 to dispose of one and it had to be taken to the yard as they do not have the transport. It worked out simpler and quicker to have vet and horse crem do the job.

touchstone

Visit site
Well our local hunt wanted £140 to dispose of one and it had to be taken to the yard as they do not have the transport. It worked out simpler and quicker to have vet and horse crem do the job.

I suppose it depends where you are in the country too and on the hunts facilities; I know it is cheaper to use the knackerman than the vet in my area.

Blitzen

Visit site
Our hunt pts and took away my old mare for £80. Its just no excuse, even if you have to go into your overdraft or put it on credit cards, the old dears deserve a kind, quick end, rather than struggling on in pain or being shunted from pillar to post. I just cannot understand it - when you take on a horse, or any animal, you're not just responsible for their life, but for their death too.
I think some sort of campaign is needed, for the numpties who think its ok to drag it out. x

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Current costs here (NW Surrey) are:
Knackerman = bullet & removal is £180 OR just removal is still £180
Vet = injection £153 + vat, plus possible sedative, + still need removal.
No immediate hunt on doorstep so havent called for costs.
Prices as of last week when I was checking up on things

SpruceRI

Visit site
A lot of people don't have a clue that Hunts provide this service, who to contact or that it is available to non-hunt supporters.

What I've found is that unless people belong to a forum, live & breathe horses and read all the magazines, they're unaware of quite a lot of things available to them.

They just stew and worry and become overwhelmed with the situation and then panic and ring round the sanctuaries.

Dolcé

Visit site
I'm not sure it is always about the cost of PTS. These people cannot bear the thought of being responsible for their 'beloved' animals death and would rather someone else took responsibility/blame for the decision. These people really should grow a pair and do the right thing for their horse!

rockysmum

Visit site
I'm not sure it is always about the cost of PTS. These people cannot bear the thought of being responsible for their 'beloved' animals death and would rather someone else took responsibility/blame for the decision. These people really should grow a pair and do the right thing for their horse!

Then perhaps its a service that santuaries could offer. It might stop some of the free to good home stuff as well.

For a price the santuary could collect the horse, assess and make the appropriate decision.

No worries for the owner that the horse would be sold on but they do not have to arrange the deed.

Could be some money in it for the santuaries too, I know they are desperately in need of funds.

hairycob

Visit site
I know that the head of welfare at one large equine charity tells anybody asking his advice about buying a horse to put the cost of pts & cremation in a savings account & leave it there. Your preferred method may be bullet & hunt, but in an emergency it might not be an option & the last thing you need at such a stressful time is to have to worry about the money. It's one of the most sensible bits of advice I have ever heard.

Clannad48

Visit site
I know that the head of welfare at one large equine charity tells anybody asking his advice about buying a horse to put the cost of pts & cremation in a savings account & leave it there. Your preferred method may be bullet & hunt, but in an emergency it might not be an option & the last thing you need at such a stressful time is to have to worry about the money. It's one of the most sensible bits of advice I have ever heard.

^^^^^
Totally agree

Feathered

Visit site
Hairycob - I have just that. It's a horrible thing to have to save for, but I have a very arthritic mare and I know that the day is going to come. So I have the money in the bank for when it does, one less thing to be worrying about at an awful time.

joeanne

Visit site
Can't afford to have thier faithful old friend PTS?
Blimey....I know peoples situations can change in a heartbeat but you make provision for such an event!
Last one I had PTS cost me £120 by the local knackerman.

maree t

Visit site
My last one (it was an emergency call, bitten by a snake ) cost me 280 vets bills and it was 200 plus to have him taken away and cremated. That was without the ashes back. It was my beloved pony and my responsibility. I do have an overdraft facility and would never quibble about using it if nec for the animals that I chose to take on.
I do feel dreadfully sorry for people who are desperate at the moment. Friend has three that she is trying to sell and one on loan. Previous people dont want the loan back and have advised she would be better put to sleep. (she is 22 with cushings but fit and well ,went to mounted games champs last year).
she has until april for them to go what can she do if she isnt even getting phonecalls, they are up for offers but may have to go to the market.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
It does make me angry as many of these people CAN actually afford to keep the horses, but they want a shiny new one instead. In a perfect world for horses, these people would keep their oldies in retirement and forego their own pleasure in having a horse to ride. If they are not prepared to do that then yes, they should PTS. Not something that I would do, as I keep mine, but hey ho.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I agree they should have them pts but approx £300 to £400 is more than some can afford.

But I bet they can still afford Sky and new clothes, going out to the pub, holidays, just haven't the decency to go without themselves for a bit and spend it on their horse. If they can't keep the horse they can sell the tack and stuff to make the dosh.
There is always a way to do the right thing, most of them are just too selfish to do it.:mad:

M_G

Visit site
A Kent based sanctuary has been increasingly overwhelmed with old,chronically lame horses that owners no longer want to keep,and who expect the sanctuary to take on full care and responsibility for these poor,suffering souls.The sanctuary manager has been mystified by the reaction of the owners when she recommneds PTS as being the kindest option,only to be told that her view is cruel.!!.IMHO i agree with the sanctuary manager as it would be much kinder to do the right thing rather than allow the horse to suffer,which would be compounded if they changed hands at that time of their life.It is surely responsible to PTS if there is no chance of recovery.I would rather do this than worry about what could happen,and risk more suffering and pain.

I 100% agree with the Sanctuary owner, the greatest gift we can give our horses is a peaceful end at home (whether by vet/hunt or knacker)

OFG

Visit site
Agree with most of what has been said already. We, as horse owners, have a responsibility to our horses to ensure their wellbeing at all times. That includes taking the difficult decision to PTS when the time comes (for whatever reason).

I am lucky in that I have my own land and my old boy will see his days out with me. Years ago I had to make the very difficult decision to PTS my mare. she is now buried out in the field she spent many years enjoying.

Saw an ad the last few days from someone trying to find a new home for their 29 year old :( Obviously don't know full circumstances which prompted owner to rehome but it's still sad to read about such an old neddie being moved to a potentially uncertain future.

Ladydragon

Visit site

Good post and yes, it makes perfect sense to have an 'end of life fund'...

We had to have the vet out then discovered it was a PTS job... Fast... :( The only option was the injection as the practice gun was in England - I'm in Wales... As it was, from the horse's perspective, it was a 'nice' death... Our hunt though can't use a carcass in those circumstances...

Due to a recent injury it was expected that she would never be anything other than a field ornament even though young - she had a home for life with us on livery though rather than risk an uncertain future by trying to rehome her...

There are some people though who cannot face having to make the decision to have an animal PTS while it still has some modicum of health... I'm glad I'm not like that myself and find it difficult to understand - but some people are just the wired the way they are...

Archangel

Visit site
I can well imagine the sanctuary owner gets these calls.
I bet she is tempted to ask "well what did you think would happen when this moment was reached?" or even “are you are regular donor to our sanctuary?” Chances are they won’t have an answer to either of these questions.

jj1966

Visit site
I am new to the forum, but am having having a slight problem understanding people, a horse is a big responsibility and expense, if they can no longer be ridden or useful, and the person cannot afford to keep as an extra horse, I just wish they would do the decent thing and call it a day and PTS.
Look at all the free to good homes at the moment, 'can be used as broodmares but never really been bred from and now in their teens, the navicular problems and kissing spine. can only be companion with another 15 yrs of life expectancy, and many other big problems' do they really expect the rest of us to pick up the tab. If you choose to own a horse make sure you budget for insurance and for hard times.
Horses are too cheap to buy! and really expensive to keep, I dont think some people really take this in. Have they become a throw away item, when things get a bit difficult?
The sanctuaries do a great job but there are limits!

Apologies am having a rant as i have one next to me heading off shortly, atleast the owner is doing the decent thing and ending his suffering and not fobbing him off to someone else to fall in love with and then go throught lots of expense and emotions to have it PTS in the end.
I might ad this one was dope when it was bought, maybe we have to blood test for doping when a buyer comes to test ride. I am all for that one! Too much of it goes on but thats another story.

OWLIE185

Visit site
I believe that the breeder/importer of every horse should be obliged to have to pay a fee of say about £5,000 to an insurance company which would pay out to a charity for the care of the horse when the owner decides they no longer want to care for it anymore because it has becomes too old or disabled. This would provide the charity with the funds to look after horses that owners no longer want the financial resposibility for. It would also increase the basic price of horses to take them out of the reach of those that can in reality not afford the long term fiancial burden of a horse.

Marydoll

Visit site
I 100% agree with the Sanctuary owner, the greatest gift we can give our horses is a peaceful end at home (whether by vet/hunt or knacker)

Echo this, i am dreading the day i have to pts my old mare 28, but id move heaven and earth to be with her at that time rather than hand her away to someone else. As for paying for it, id do without to make sure her end is as peaceful as possible then howl my guts out knowing ive done the right thing by her and my conscience