Please always check your gate is shut

tessybear

Visit site
Had a not very nice reminder to check your gate to the field is shut, whilst ours was shut properly we didn’t put the tape back up in front of it as Dolly likes to rub herself on the wood. That meant that last night at around 1am my mum ran in my room to wake me up as she heard Hooves outside followed by a nicker. Think it was honestly the fastest i had ever got up; Dolly had managed to open the gate whilst rubbing on it and got out. Tess is the type of horse that if you left a gate open she wouldn’t go out but because her baby had she followed. It was the neighbours paddock as we are resting ours for a little bit (there’s if all secure) so they managed to get onto their front garden.

It was very close to a road, that although is not busy people fly down it, had they got on the road in the dark, a person who hit them in a car would have been killed and so would the horses.

Never really felt so sick at the thoughts of what could have happened.

Please always check you have secured everything when you leave :(

Dipsy83

Visit site
i'm a nightmare regarding shutting gates and stables, in the fact that i will take pictures on my phone just to make sure. If i have forgotten to take a photo you'll find me going up at the oddest of times just to stop myself worrying, as horses getting loose is one of my fears and i'll even check other peoples as i'm leaving the yard.

so happy for you that they only got so far before being noticed :)

tessybear

Visit site
i'm a nightmare regarding shutting gates and stables, in the fact that i will take pictures on my phone just to make sure. If i have forgotten to take a photo you'll find me going up at the oddest of times just to stop myself worrying, as horses getting loose is one of my fears and i'll even check other peoples as i'm leaving the yard.

so happy for you that they only got so far before being noticed :)

That's a good method might have to steal that :) We are usually so , so careful, the gate itself was shut as i checked it but totally forgot to put the tape back up stopping them from touching the gate :(

Im thankful my mum is such a light sleeper

Dipsy83

Visit site
i do the photo trick for all sorts as even though i do it, i just like back up ;).. even a couple of girls from the yard have started after one did a drive to the yard at 2am just to check a gate.

think it started after moving yards, as at the old place the tape fencing wasn't switched on and a couple of the ponios ended up on a night adventure. thankfully like yourself the hoof steps were heard and all the gates to the road were shut

FlaxenPony05

Visit site
I forgot to properly shut the geldings' gate a couple of days ago and they all got into the mares field- which is luckily safe and secure and no damage was done. It has definitely spurred me on to double check all the time now. Commented on FB but glad Tess and Dolly are safe and no one got hurt!

tessybear

Visit site
i do the photo trick for all sorts as even though i do it, i just like back up ;).. even a couple of girls from the yard have started after one did a drive to the yard at 2am just to check a gate.

think it started after moving yards, as at the old place the tape fencing wasn't switched on and a couple of the ponios ended up on a night adventure. thankfully like yourself the hoof steps were heard and all the gates to the road were shut

It's a great idea :)

tessybear

Visit site
I forgot to properly shut the geldings' gate a couple of days ago and they all got into the mares field- which is luckily safe and secure and no damage was done. It has definitely spurred me on to double check all the time now. Commented on FB but glad Tess and Dolly are safe and no one got hurt!

Glad to hear everyone was okay ! Cannot get onto FB at school but thank you, its scary to think what could have happened. When we first got them we thought someone must have let them out and what if they were trying to steal them... until i noticed all the fur and hair wrapped round the gate :rolleyes: