please be aware, new grass and colic

china

Visit site
my mare suffered from colic this morning. she had a build up of gas in her gut. and was very uncomfortable. my vet saw to her and said they have had a high case of this gassy colic this year due to the fresh green grass still coming through. they go through fases in this colic and show colic signs and then improve and eat normally. more gas builds and they show colic signs again but when its gets bad and they starts thrashing and rolling thats when things start twisting. dont be fooled if they improve! i nearly was! she showed ovbious colic signs and then improved and started grazing then show signs again, but i had already called vet by this time and wasnt going to cancell him. rather she got the once over.. she had a rectal exam and muscle relaxent and sedation and all is well. she is now on strip grazing so she cant pig out. we have had rain here and then some lovely sun! que some very green grass coming up! not something u want at 7am!
a very sleepy grace
b588a002.jpg

Balibee

Visit site
oh bless. I am contemplating moving my boy to his winter field but looking at how lovely it is, I am just turning him out for a short while each day on that one and then putting him back on his summer field which is quite short now.

Isn't if funny though, This time last year I was moaning that my winter field had nothing in it and now there is loads! :D

Hope your ponio feels better soon :)

china

Visit site
grass is shooting up left right and centre. she is such a pig though! iv no doubt she stuffed her face last night. she goes in a day paddock that has very little in it and then in her bigger paddock at night. which she has done all summer. silly mare. shes such a pig

devilinajar

Visit site
How strange, i have just been to see the my friends horse today that i ride, and she coliced yesterday, only the vet said hers was in impaction, even though she was still passing droppings. Will keep in mind about the grass and i will wont get lulled in to a false sense of security now that she seems to be ok..

china

Visit site
i though impaction to start and checked her field and she had poohed well through the night and the vet pulled about a pile size out. her gut was making some very loud noises though!

ISHmad

Visit site
Glad she is okay China. We've got so much grass that but for the rain I reckon we could have got a second cut of hay off of our fields. It is frighteningly lush and green, we are having to be very careful with how much access our horses have to it.