Please can I ask for everyone's help, we may lose our grazing :(

Shooting Star

Visit site
Interesting figures from Peter & good luck HHH.

For what's it's worth we have a bridleway close to us that cuts right through the centre of a crescent of extremely expensive houses across the beautifully manicured central lawn / planting idea, I've no idea of the history of how it came to be but I know it used to make me smile every time I rode over it at how at least in a small way the equestrians had won there. 😀

... Oh and I could only dream that my average expenditure per annum on the horse was £2166 - I reckon that would cover 4 months tops:redface3:

popsdosh

Visit site
Can I just ask what is the land owners take on this? You cannot expect them to not take what is offered? They dont owe you somewhere to keep your horse.
I am sorry as others have said if you want security find your own land and see if you can turn away what is offered if the developer calls.
To be totally blunt if you were one of my liveries and started a campaign against me selling my land for development you would be off down the road.

Haphazardhacker

Visit site
We don't know as we never see them. Its not a typical livery set up. There are 6 yards and each yard has its lease, there is no involvement as such from landowners. They have offered it for development rather than someone approaching them.

Obviously they want to develop it but I am not going to just roll over and let it happen.

Pedantic

Visit site
Can I just ask what is the land owners take on this? You cannot expect them to not take what is offered? They dont owe you somewhere to keep your horse.
I am sorry as others have said if you want security find your own land and see if you can turn away what is offered if the developer calls.
To be totally blunt if you were one of my liveries and started a campaign against me selling my land for development you would be off down the road.

Typical money grabbing selfish attitude, it's what's made this country Grate Britain.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
For what's it's worth we have a bridleway close to us that cuts right through the centre of a crescent of extremely expensive houses across the beautifully manicured central lawn / planting idea, I've no idea of the history of how it came to be but I know it used to make me smile every time I rode over it at how at least in a small way the equestrians had won there. 😀

It's because houses were built on top of the bridleway. What often happens (and it sounds like they tried to do it here by your description of it going across planted lawns) is the developers just block off the bridleway, so a through route becomes a dead end and if nobody notices or chooses to fight it that portion of bridleway ends up lost forever. Then because it's a dead end riders stop using the rest of the bridleway, it becomes overgrown, local knowledge that it was ever a bridleway is forgotten/not passed onto new people. Then one day the land owner quietly puts in an application to have it downgraded to a footpath or wiped out altogether and nobody realises so nobody fights it. Very sad.

popsdosh

Visit site
It's because houses were built on top of the bridleway. What often happens (and it sounds like they tried to do it here by your description of it going across planted lawns) is the developers just block off the bridleway, so a through route becomes a dead end and if nobody notices or chooses to fight it that portion of bridleway ends up lost forever. Then because it's a dead end riders stop using the rest of the bridleway, it becomes overgrown, local knowledge that it was ever a bridleway is forgotten/not passed onto new people. Then one day the land owner quietly puts in an application to have it downgraded to a footpath or wiped out altogether and nobody realises so nobody fights it. Very sad.

Not just landowners who are letting the system down. We have a bridleway going through the farm that is stop ended by development. We have offered a circular route that would end up where the original bridleway goes to .However due to one objection from the ramblers they would not agree to the diversion .So everybody loses out apart from the smart ***e at the Ramblers who thinks they have just saved another walking route.

Deltaflyer

Visit site
PeterNatt that's very interesting.

Haphazard Hacker good luck with your campaign. It's nice to see somebody fighting for equestrianism. I don't know if its relevent but with the last olympics there was supposed to br some kind of "sport legacy" encouraging all the olympic sports. Destroying an entire equestrian community in one area doesnt really fit with that.

ETA: when you do your letter, you could do a template one and see if others are willing to sign one and post it off.

I agree, Very informative Peter, but, I definitely spend more than £2166 on my horse per if everything is taken in to account - livery, feed, bedding, hay, entry fees to shows, running the lorry, farrier, vet, memberships, not mention equipment and luxuries, clothing and footwear for myself. All of which includes VAT of course.

I'll sign a letter too as I live close to Hazelmere and although I don't keep my horse there I does matter to me a lot.