Please can somebody tell me how long spring fever will last?!!

Trishh

Visit site
As soon as we changed fields (onto the lush spring grass) my mare has gone crazy!! Bucking more than she is keeping all four feet on the ground!!😩 I've never had a horse affected by the spring grass before - will somebody please tell me how long it will last for?! Many thanks 😊

crabbymare

Visit site
It will last until the flies make it to horrible to ride. then after that you will get 8 weeks of autumn and just have the odd loony day when its windy. then winter will arrive and it will be dark early and to windy and snowy and rainy to ride. then you get a few weeks of spring before the grass arrives and the whole circle starts again :D

Mrs G

Visit site
It will last until the flies make it to horrible to ride. then after that you will get 8 weeks of autumn and just have the odd loony day when its windy. then winter will arrive and it will be dark early and to windy and snowy and rainy to ride. then you get a few weeks of spring before the grass arrives and the whole circle starts again :D

Depressingly accurate!

Trishh

Visit site
Oh no!!����...I almost can't wait for the flies!! �� Are we talking about just a few weeks then? Or more like a month or two? Watching her antics on the lunge today I didn't even get on!! �� thanks everyone ��

Trishh

Visit site
About 3 weeks in my experience, those 3 weeks, however, are hell

Thank you!! Been nearly 3 weeks (of hell) now ... tried 2 different magnesium calmers which have had no effect, and it's got to the stage where I don't want to get on her! Hopefully not much longer now .... although it's still freezing here so the weather is probably confusing them too at the moment!!

Rhodders

Visit site
Mmmm I found magnesium made my haffy worse, like he knew something was trying to numb he brain so he faught harder against it. Cut out everything, no food, no haylage, if he's too much to ride just walk him out till you see him chill out

Trishh

Visit site
Mmmm I found magnesium made my haffy worse, like he knew something was trying to numb he brain so he faught harder against it. Cut out everything, no food, no haylage, if he's too much to ride just walk him out till you see him chill out

It certainly hasn't made her better ... there's no way I can stick to walk she's doing handstands for fun at the moment which is worse when she's fresh ... am thinking I might just turn her away until it's over!!😩

hannahmurphy

Visit site
Haha, who knows?! I don't think I've ever know my boy to be full of the joys of spring for weeks on end! I did enjoy playing with him in his field the other day though, glad I was on the ground ......!!!!! Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!

kate2323

Visit site
so its not just the fact that my horse is young?....bucking, rearing , napping , biting me, pulling on headcollar....all since he has been put in a field of lush grass grrrrrrrrrrr...

muckypony

Visit site
Up until today I thought my boy was being relatively sane. Went for a nice chilled hack which soon turned into a full blown nappy fit over a super scary INVISIBLE HEDGE MONSTER!! My goodness. What a pain!!

Ben2684

Visit site
I have found with my lad the more work the better he is, though from your description he is not quite so bad, has just turned into the spookiest horse alive! Has a serious issue with any flowers that are blue for some reason, today we ended up on the verge on the opposite side of the road, snorting, bouncing and almost going up.. All over a patch of (obviously life threatening/about to get him) blue flowers. This time of year his reaction speed just goes up a few hundred notches... And hats with a muzzle on for part of the day restricting his grass intake (on grass livery) Good luck!

Trishh

Visit site
I dont have it, however I have mine out 24/7 all year round, and I cut hard feed down about now!

So do mine!! 24/7 365 days a year but when we changed from winter to summer fields WHOOSH!! Thanks everyone for your replies it really helps to know I'm not alone and I live in hope that it won't last much longer!!😂

PolarSkye

Visit site
Our lot are all bouncing like spring lambs at the moment - all feeling rather too well. It's nice to see them looking happy, but we could all do without the need for seatbelts ;).

P

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
At the moment, in answer to your question, a long time!!!

Took old misery guts out for a pootle today. Got stopped by a dog walker for a chat, normally Benji takes this as a great opportunity to have a doze, nope, not today-had fidget pants on.

Cantered up the hill which we normally plod up etc.....

Glad I took him out on his own rather than leading April too.

bumper

Visit site
No idea, maybe a fortnight, but every year my normally completely sane lad grows springs for legs and eyes on stalks. I was hacking out recently with someone new, and she said "He's not a novice ride is he?" (this was after saying how well I sat a particular manouvre). Errmm..my youngest son has had lessons on him.... I'm still laughing!!

Tnavas

Visit site
It will last as long as the crazy grass growth lasts. The crazy, spooky, unreasonable or unusual behaviour is to do with an inbalance of minerals in the grass. Generally a Magnesium deficiency.

Go to your farm supply store and buy a Magnesium Salt block, leave it in the paddock, or you can make this mix and feed twice a day.

1 Tablespoon each, Epsom Salts, Baking Soda, Dried Thyme and Dried Yeast. Initially add twice daily to feed or if you generally don't feed give in a small tasty feed 30mins prior to riding. Magnesium works fast and doesn't last long.

Every spring we put the Magnesium mineral blocks in every paddock and all 15 horses and ponies stay sane.

We've noticed that when grass growth is rapid the Magnesium block is the block of choice and the salt block gets ignored.

Trishh

Visit site
It will last as long as the crazy grass growth lasts. The crazy, spooky, unreasonable or unusual behaviour is to do with an inbalance of minerals in the grass. Generally a Magnesium deficiency.

Go to your farm supply store and buy a Magnesium Salt block, leave it in the paddock, or you can make this mix and feed twice a day.

1 Tablespoon each, Epsom Salts, Baking Soda, Dried Thyme and Dried Yeast. Initially add twice daily to feed or if you generally don't feed give in a small tasty feed 30mins prior to riding. Magnesium works fast and doesn't last long.

Every spring we put the Magnesium mineral blocks in every paddock and all 15 horses and ponies stay sane.

We've noticed that when grass growth is rapid the Magnesium block is the block of choice and the salt block gets ignored.

Where can you get these magnesium blocks from please?? Sounds perfect!!

marmalade88

Visit site
I hope it doesn't last too much longer, my normally sane and sensible chap was looking a parked bus today, A PARKED one!! It was empty, turned off and white. We did the crab past it just in case it bit him on the bumb. This is a horse who normally plods down the main road with buses whooshing past.

Please let it end :) 'fresh' is not the word.