Please could I have your thoughts re PTS situation?

mytwofriends

Visit site
You sound very rational and that's commendable. I'm happy for you that pretty much every reply above has confirmed the decision it seems you have already made deep down - not that you needed to justify anything to a forum such as this, but I'm sure it must help (I've yet to have a horse in my ownership PTS even though I've owned several, and I can tell you I'm not looking forward to it). And yes, your young child and imminent baby are definitely relevant points, as is the onset of winter, the fact that neither will improve etc. etc.

I wish you all the very best with all your upcoming events, in the short term sad, and longer term happy.

wilkinson1

Visit site
Thank you so much everyone - you have made me feel better (if that's possible) and confirmed that i am doing the right thing. I have now booked it for weds morning first thing and am going to give them lots of love in the next few days. Feel dreadful but going to focus on the fact that they wont have to get cold and wet through the winter now xxx

skyrock

Visit site
I think you have already made your descision and its right that you dont want your boys to suffer. Do it sooner rather than later the winter is supposed to be rotten. Yes that you have a young child and another comming along soon is relevant. Hugs for you and your horses. hope all goes well

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
What I did was decide to shoot, as injection was going to cause stress.
I asked the company to make sure it was first job of the day, and that man wore clean clothes was freshly showered etc, and the lorry was clean etc.
You are paying for the job to be done, and you can lay down the terms and conditions. There should be no problem them meeting with your requirements, as it is not an emergency callout.
You can explain that as it is causing you much stress, and it might be better that man takes them out and does it out of sight of you and of each equid.
You need to be there to make sure the correct animals are identified etc.
If you think you may have to postpone it, explain your doubts and agree a payment etc etc.
I assume you will be expected to pay up front and the driver will not always be able to take cash, etc etc.
I don't think you need rush, but there might be some day soon which will suit everyone and you can make that the day.

EstherYoung

Visit site
I really feel for you xxxx My friend lost hers to aggressive sarcoids - there are sarcoids and there are sarcoids, and the really aggressive uncontrolled ones that affect their quality of life really are the pits. It is only going to get worse. They do become a full on invasive cancer, and are nothing like the odd semi benign dormant ones that many horses have. My friend's horse probably had twelve months longer than he would have done due to the aggressive treatment and operations he had, but he was never going to be cured, it was only ever staving off the inevitable, and he ended up with maggots behind his eye because of them :(

The waiting is the worst part, once you have made the decision.

Something my vet said when I was making the decision for my old lad the other month may help: Sometimes the decision isn't clear cut, sometimes it is an accumulation of factors which individually may be manageable. But just because the decision isn't clear cut, it doesn't make it wrong.

wilkinson1

Visit site
Well, it's done. They went very peacefully this morning, in the sunshine in their field with plenty of apples and polos. It hurts like hell :(

Fat_Pony

Visit site
You've made the right decision for you, don't let anyone make you feel bad about it.

I pts an effectively healthy horse. He looked the picture of health and was not suffering at all. One day he went into atrial fibrillation, which did correct itself back to normal rhythm, but further investigation showed his heart was enlarged and I was told he was at higher risk of sudden death. He was retired, but a few weeks down the line I got fed up of rushing to the field each day to check if he was still alive. I constantly worried he would be dead and would have suffered a painful heart attack. I made the decision to pts to stop this torment I was going through. He had no idea of the future, no plans, no desires (except for a full tummy!) and better too early than too late. I received awful abuse from people I thought were friends saying he could still live 15 years (he was 15 at the time), but I stick by my guns as although he could quite possibly have, he could have also dropped dead the next day. He stuffed his face with grass, ate a huge bucket of molasses laden feed and carrots and was led out to the field to meet the vet. It was peaceful and a massive relief for me. I lost lots of friends over it, but don't regret it for a second. It will be hard for you, and painful for many years to come, but those emotions are very human and horses don't have them - just remember that

khalswitz

Visit site
You've made the right decision for you, don't let anyone make you feel bad about it.

I pts an effectively healthy horse. He looked the picture of health and was not suffering at all. One day he went into atrial fibrillation, which did correct itself back to normal rhythm, but further investigation showed his heart was enlarged and I was told he was at higher risk of sudden death. He was retired, but a few weeks down the line I got fed up of rushing to the field each day to check if he was still alive. I constantly worried he would be dead and would have suffered a painful heart attack. I made the decision to pts to stop this torment I was going through. He had no idea of the future, no plans, no desires (except for a full tummy!) and better too early than too late. I received awful abuse from people I thought were friends saying he could still live 15 years (he was 15 at the time), but I stick by my guns as although he could quite possibly have, he could have also dropped dead the next day. He stuffed his face with grass, ate a huge bucket of molasses laden feed and carrots and was led out to the field to meet the vet. It was peaceful and a massive relief for me. I lost lots of friends over it, but don't regret it for a second. It will be hard for you, and painful for many years to come, but those emotions are very human and horses don't have them - just remember that

I was there when a horse at a yard I worked on went into atrial fibrillation. It was a horrible way to die. They had planned to give her the summer at grass and then pts - she died in July, in the field. That was a case of a day too late, and I would never risk it again tbh.

suestowford

Visit site
So sad for you, because you obviously cared very much for them but may I congratulate you on being brave enough to do the right thing by them?
Now go and have a good long cry, as many tears as you need. Soon you will be able to remember the happy times with them, and you will see clearly that you did the right thing.

hairycob

Visit site
Hug.
Now look after yourself & look forward to that baby. My usual advice in these circumstances is to shut yourself away with a large bar of chocolate, red wine, sad music/weepy film & a huge box of tissues & sob the worst out of your system, but I guess you will have to leave out the wine.
It does get better with time but odd things will catch you out for ages - nothing wrong with that, it's the price of love.

MiniMilton

Visit site
You poor thing, that is so sad. I dread they day I have to make the same decision, and with a bunch of 20 something year olds I fear that isn't too far away. No go and focus on your remaining weeks of pregnancy and your little bundle of joy to come

Orangehorse

Visit site
Glad it was peaceful for them. You will be sad, but keep a happy memory in your mind. It was the right thing to do and now you don't have to worry about them going downhill or getting worse as the winter comes on.

Hugs.

Annagain

Visit site
I'm so sorry. Doing it to prevent them suffering is just as valid as doing because they're suffering. I hope I'm as brave as you when I need to be.

Starling

New User
Visit site
I know a lady who had her three all put down together. A pony in her thirties and two horses in their twenties whom she had had for years. They all had some medical conditions and she was struggling financially. I thought at the time it was a very brave and selfless thing to do. Rather than pass them on she did the right thing. Just as you have. It will get easier and when it does, the memories will be there for you to enjoy again. Hugs to you.

Adopter

Visit site
Thank you for letting us know, glad to read it was peaceful. You have done the right thing, no one can take your memories from you. I hope all goes well with the baby, best of luck and enjoy your memories and your children.

wilkinson1

Visit site
Thank you all, you are very very kind. I have eaten my own body weight in chocolate and gazed longingly at a bottle of wine and weeped into my husbands shoulder all afternoon. Feel a tad better now as know they are not out there in the freezing cold. Last thing I would like advice on please..... I remembered to cut a bit of their tails and will be getting a bit of ash back - I quite fancy a pendant necklace or something similar to remember them by, my vet gave me the details of 'ashes to glass' which looks lovely (but expensive!!) and I have found another called equihearts which looks nice but have no recommendations except what I have seen on the net - does anyone have any ideas or recommendations please? Thanks very very much xxx

EstherYoung

Visit site
So glad it was peaceful XXX Don't feel bad if you get hit with waves of relief, too, it's perfectly normal but may take you by surprise and then set you off blubbing again because you feel guilty for being relieved..