Please don't all laugh at me. But..........

LauraWheeler

Visit site
After reading war horse and now reading another book called chosen by a horse I've been thinking about writing a book about Lucy's life. I've thought about this alot before but even more so since loosing her.
War horse is written from the horses point of view which I love. The other book is written as the owners point of view. I like both styles of writing and not shore which would be best for Lucy's story. Or there is a third way. Writing it from a third perspective so to speak.
The trouble with writing from the horses point of view is you are assuming what the horse is thinking and feeling, when how do I know thats realy how she felt.
If I do this I want it to realy do my little angel justice and show what a truly remarkable mare she was.
Oh dear listen to me waffling on I hope this post makes sence.

Anyway I was wondering what other peoples opinions on this was. How do you like books written? Would Lucys story be intresting to other people?

It's probably going to be one of those things I never get around to doing but I would like to give it a go.

Thankyou for taking the time to read my waffling on and if you have any hints or tips on writing a book please share them with me ;) :D

Equimo

Visit site
Go for it! Nothing to laugh at, wish i had more time to be creative. I think the perspective it's written from would depend on the story. Think about episodes and events that took place and think how they would best be described.
Though if you write it from your horses perspective, you can get more of her personality into the story :)

muddygreymare

Visit site
I think it's a lovely idea, something i'd definitely read. I think you should maybe try writing it from her perspective first, and if you aren't happy, start again and write it from your perspective.

I think whichever way you do it though its a lovely thing to do, and a nice way to share Lucy's special story with others. :)

Toffee44

Visit site
Laura I think you should do it from your perspective, you loved that pony to the moon and back again a million times, and worked so hard for her, and gave her your all. You can do your self justice in book about your lives together.

Kat

Visit site
I think you should go for it, you have nothing to lose.

I think it is entirely up to you whether you do it from Lucy's perspective, your own or with a third person narrator. Think about what will show the different episodes best and the emotion you want to convey.

Writing from the horse's perspective is difficult though, if you think this will work best read several books done like this (not just horsey ones, any animal will do) and get a feel for how to convey the animal's understanding of the human world. That is where many books fall down when written from the animal's viewpoint.

I think lucy's story might need your perspective to an extent, maybe you could use both...... some books manage this well, have a read of the time travellers wife for a good example of a book that has two different narratives.

Shantara

Visit site
I was thinking about doing something similar, from the horses point of view and really over dramatising situations, like horses do :p

i think you should do it! Sound like it could be really good!

NeilM

Visit site
I think you should give it a go.

If you are unsure which perspective to write it from, then pick a particular occasion you want to write about, and try it out three times, once from your perspective, once from Lucy's and once by an outside narrator. Then see which you like best.

What do I like in a book? A good story, well written and imaginatively described, just like War Horse.

Hedwards

Visit site
I'd go for it, I always read your posts about Lucy. Personally when doing something like this I'd stick to what you know initially - and you know exactly how you felt through everything you did with Lucy, and I think you'll find it so much easier to write.

I'd definitely like to read it!

spookypony

Visit site
There's also no saying that the story has to be told from one perspective only. Perhaps it can be a mixture of perspectives, according to the demands of each episode.

Keimanp

Visit site
Why not do it from both your's and lucy's view point. Sort of interchanging through the book to see how you both reacted to different situations.

As an example if you were in the situation of jumping and you were unsure but she was wanting to go... it could have been a come on mum you'll be fine, jumpings fun and it's only small... your perspective is the nerves and the am I sure I want to do this... that looks big...

Maybe a couple of chapters from your view point and then swopping to Lucy's covering some of what you have just discussed from her point of view..

It might work and would stop you having to decide between which method to use!

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
I think it's a lovely idea. Why don't you write a plan and then see what perspective best suits that plan. You have a beginning, and an end- so make the middle logical (and not too long winded) and see where the story takes you.

Also can I second double checking your spelling and grammar... and maybe practise 'stand alone' sentences to prevent waffling- if that's what you're prone too!

LauraWheeler

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice guys. :)

JFTD LOL :p :D :D :D

Those that are worried about my spelling and grammer. I'm aware of my dyslexia and the issues it causes and would obviously get someone to read through what I have writen and check for problems. ;) :p :D

Tinsel Trouble I don't tend to waffle when writing storys or poetry :confused: Just when randomly thinking things through :eek:

Spudlet

Visit site
I personally tend to find things written totally from the animal's point of view a bit trite if serious subjects are being covered. It can be funny for short passages, but I find it a bit wearing for entire books. Writing from a first person perspective can be hard as well, as it all starts to feel a bit 'me me me me meeee'! Personally, I tend to write from my perspective, but Henry gets to stick little asides in sometimes, which amuses me if no one else:p

Odd Socks

Visit site
Aww I think that's a really nice idea! Personally, I would prefer to read from an owners point of view. I just think that from a horse's POV makes it a little limited in terms of vocab and depth but also like the idea of switching perspective for a few chapters.

Whatever you decide, good luck and I'll volunteer my services for a good old proof read any time :)

Switcheroo

Visit site
I'm glad to hear you've been inspired by other authors; I'm currently working on my own writing project as well. :) If you're new to writing or just want somewhere to share your work, I'd greatly recommend you head to this little site:

youngwriterssociety.com

It's undergoing some renovation but otherwise it's a great community to be a part of.

PolarSkye

Visit site
That's grate yew wish to right a book, but cheque your speling and gramer.

Trakehner, sure this was tongue-in-cheek and in another context would have been funny . . . but, it was unnecessarily cutting. Yes, OP needs to work on her spelling and grammar, but your post came across as mean spirited.

P

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
I would advise to find a writing group nearby, they are good for tips and reading to and getting a reaction. Black beauty was written from the horses perspective and look how successful that was :) or you could write it as you saw it. Try a few paragraphs each way and see how you get on. also when you write it, use double spacing, it makes it easier to read.

Last edited:

Trakehner

Visit site
Don't be mean - that's what proof readers are for.

It's not being mean...she wants to write a book. You can't write as if you're texting friends on your phone. You proof read your own writing before it ever goes to a proof reader. If you can't put a sentence together without a lot of editing, you won't do well and people won't look at your work.

If you want to write, write well. If you want to text and do friends on Facebook or Twitter, it doesn't matter. Two different worlds. Anyone who wishes to be a writer better polish their skills. Just like riding, it takes practice and doing it correctly.

Trakehner

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice guys. :)Those that are worried about my spelling and grammer. I'm aware of my dyslexia and the issues it causes and would obviously get someone to read through what I have writen and check for problems. ;) :p :D

If you're dislexic, get one of the computer programmes that will type out anything you say. Dislexia won't matter since you will just be speaking into a mike.

Good luck, you've got a challenge ahead.

sandi_84

Visit site
After reading war horse and now reading another book called chosen by a horse I've been thinking about writing a book about Lucy's life. I've thought about this alot before but even more so since loosing her.
War horse is written from the horses point of view which I love. The other book is written as the owners point of view. I like both styles of writing and not shore which would be best for Lucy's story. Or there is a third way. Writing it from a third perspective so to speak.
The trouble with writing from the horses point of view is you are assuming what the horse is thinking and feeling, when how do I know thats realy how she felt.
If I do this I want it to realy do my little angel justice and show what a truly remarkable mare she was.
Oh dear listen to me waffling on I hope this post makes sence.

Anyway I was wondering what other peoples opinions on this was. How do you like books written? Would Lucys story be intresting to other people?

It's probably going to be one of those things I never get around to doing but I would like to give it a go.

Thankyou for taking the time to read my waffling on and if you have any hints or tips on writing a book please share them with me ;) :D

Wishing you loads of good luck! I would love to write but unfortunately don't have the skill to pull it off but one of my best friends once gave me some great advice:
Using post it's write down major things you want in the book then you can line them up and sort out the order of them.

About the horses/owners perspective thing, try and write a chapter or two from one perspective then write it from the other (I know it'll be a pain in the butt to write about the same stuff twice but...) you may decide that you prefer one to the other or you might just find that you could encorporate the two? So maybe one chapter is owner perspective and the next is horse perspective?

Again, Good Luck! When it's written I hope us HHOers will be getting first bash at it?! ;):D

JenHunt

Visit site

the other perspective is that of someone observing you two - like a narrator essentially.

I'd like to see it written from your point of view. I'd love to read it! :D

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Go for it. The thread you did a while back that you kept adding to over time kept so many of us logging on just to see if you'd updated was great. How many of us cried more than once whilst reading it.