Please explain electric fencing to me?

Kafairia

Visit site
I have always dealt with mains electric fences and it's just a switch I deal with, but now I'm moving yards somewhere (hopefully!) that has all this electric energiser things and I'm feeling very out of my depth. I don't have a huge budget but an old livery left me her fence energiser years and years ago and I've peeped in it and it appears to have two 6v batteries in. It has a stake and a earth wire (I think, I'm guessing I have no clue) and a black crocodile clip and red crocodile clip (bit rusty but I think I can easily replace these- seen them at work) and this plain metal odd shape clip too.

I'll pop a photo up tomorrow.

But basically, my questions are: what does each thing do, what things do I need to buy to get it going, where do I buy the right batteries, how long will a charge last, how do I recharge the batteries, how much can I expect to fork out to get it up and running, and how do I set it up?

Diagrams will help, I'm a complete rookie and I have not a SLIGHTEST what I'm doing, fortunately new livery has offered to help me set it up but I would like to have a rough idea myself. :)

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks! x

**EDIT: had a quick browse online and by chance I've found the one I think I have, it looks like this, just a lot more aged, it's got a yellow case with "CP250" on the front? But this is the general idea:
http://www.orderequine.co.uk/cp250-electric-fencing-energiser-by-fenceman

Last edited:

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
It is similar to mine. You press the metal stick it comes on into the ground, and if you only have a small amount of fencing that is sufficient to also be the earthing stake. If you have longer fencing you also bash in a longer earthing stake nearby.

You get a battery, I use a 12V, but check what your energiser says. The black and red wires come out of the main energiser box and the red goes to the positive terminal and the black to the negative terminal, they usually have a + and - even if they are not in corresponding colours.

The green wire clips onto the earthing stake, and there will be another wire that clips onto the actual fence. So, 4 wires.

The fence itself does not make a "circuit" it is meant to be a one way line of fencing, not a circle, as the fencing works on a static type electricity not a current as such. It won't hurt if you do make a circle, but some of it may not be live.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
You put up the posts, tape and energiser following all the instructions.

Horse jumps over it and also the next line of electric fencing. You put horse back behind electric fencing. It then pulls out the posts at the top lying them down so he/she can step over it. You re-do the tape winding it round the top of the posts too, put horse back in field. Horse then kneels down and gets grass from underneath the bottom strand. You have to buy another reel of tape to stop this from happening. He/she then jumps the sodding fence again. You then have to purchase the taller posts to stop that game. Horse is defeated for a few weeks. You then find horse out again, battery has died. Purchase new solar powered energiser!!!

Auslander

Visit site

Horse jumps over it and also the next line of electric fencing. You put horse back behind electric fencing. It then pulls out the posts at the top lying them down so he/she can step over it. You re-do the tape winding it round the top of the posts too, put horse back in field. Horse then kneels down and gets grass from underneath the bottom strand. You have to buy another reel of tape to stop this from happening. He/she then jumps the sodding fence again. You then have to purchase the taller posts to stop that game. Horse is defeated for a few weeks. You then find horse out again, battery has died. Purchase new solar powered energiser!!!

You forgot to mention the "high speed" method, whereby you spend hours erecting a perfectly straight, well tensioned fence with maximum voltage running through it, using lovely new tape, only to come up 20 minutes later to find shattered posts strewn everywhere, and fluttering shreds of tape.

Kafairia

Visit site

IS THIS A NEWFOREST THING?!! He's the only sod I've ever met that is so determined to escape, he's currently got the tall posts and 4 strands of electric tape to keep him in, even then he can jump it... Once he went through the middle too, hence 4 strands...

I remember once he took out a friends set of short fencing with his hind legs and had gathered about 4 fences in his hind legs, dragging them in a crazed gallop. He snapped each post off at the base, I didn't enjoy shelling out for all those posts...

Last edited:

Kafairia

Visit site
It is similar to mine. You press the metal stick it comes on into the ground, and if you only have a small amount of fencing that is sufficient to also be the earthing stake. If you have longer fencing you also bash in a longer earthing stake nearby.

You get a battery, I use a 12V, but check what your energiser says. The black and red wires come out of the main energiser box and the red goes to the positive terminal and the black to the negative terminal, they usually have a + and - even if they are not in corresponding colours.

The green wire clips onto the earthing stake, and there will be another wire that clips onto the actual fence. So, 4 wires.

The fence itself does not make a "circuit" it is meant to be a one way line of fencing, not a circle, as the fencing works on a static type electricity not a current as such. It won't hurt if you do make a circle, but some of it may not be live.

Thank you! I popped into work and have an uncle in engineering or something to do with cars and he's getting us the batteries and hopefully helping us set it up. Just trying to figure out how I'm going to do it so that I can at least attempt to not make a circuit...

cobsarefab

Visit site
IS THIS A NEWFOREST THING?!! He's the only sod I've ever met that is so determined to escape, he's currently got the tall posts and 4 strands of electric tape to keep him in, even then he can jump it... Once he went through the middle too, hence 4 strands...

I remember once he took out a friends set of short fencing with his hind legs and had gathered about 4 fences in his hind legs, dragging them in a crazed gallop. He snapped each post off at the base, I didn't enjoy shelling out for all those posts...
No, not a new forest thing, my girl is cob through and through and she was so determined to escape she did everything even working out that she could jump the 4'5" fence. Then we left her out with a muzzle on and she decidedly this was worse and stayed in! :lol: though of course not before getting the muzzle in such a state I couldn't return it.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
You forgot to mention the "high speed" method, whereby you spend hours erecting a perfectly straight, well tensioned fence with maximum voltage running through it, using lovely new tape, only to come up 20 minutes later to find shattered posts strewn everywhere, and fluttering shreds of tape.

And then come the winter, when your horse is encased from head to toe in lovely weather proof rugs, you can save a lot of money on batteries by never switching it on because he won't feel a darned thing anyway.

Templebar

Visit site
And then come the winter, when your horse is encased from head to toe in lovely weather proof rugs, you can save a lot of money on batteries by never switching it on because he won't feel a darned thing anyway.

Or you have a cob with skin like leather who doesn't feel a thing all year round and you have to admit defeat and find somewhere to use mains once again. This is after all of the above methods of escaping have been attempted.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
IS THIS A NEWFOREST THING?!!

Can't vouch for other breeds as only had foresters the past 23 years. Some of mine are *bleeps* with it. Or wire fencing for that matter, one of them used to crawl through. Another used to listen by the unit for the pulse and go through.

Yep, Aus, forgot about the charge through. Always need a supply of new posts to replace the broken ones and fresh reel of tape.

Auslander

Visit site
And the inevitable "I know I went through it quite happily, but I can't possibly come back. It's far too scary"

[video=youtube_share;AuX7OPACDQc]https://youtu.be/AuX7OPACDQc[/video]