Please fill me in on Irish horses Green ,Blue ,White books

Kacey88

Visit site
Green books have recorded breeding from Horse Sport Ireland, white books do not. There are also red books from IPSA, my mare has one with no recorded breeding. No idea about blue ones!

MungoMadness

Visit site
I thought it was do to with breeding and stud books, like the sports horses. I might be very wrong. But for example, a " proper" Irish sports horse has I think a green passport, so with all breeding listed etc. My boy isn't a "proper" Irish sports horse as he has unknown breeding, so he has a white passport which is just the Irish horse register rather than Irish sports horses or whatever. No idea what the blue passports are.

I may be very wrong but that's how I understand it.

Auslander

Visit site
Blue passport means that the horse has recorded breeding, but the parents either failed the vet inspection, have not been performance tested, or their full breeding is not recorded.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Green is known breeding. White is unknown breeding, like my horse, no record of parentage. Partial breeding is blue, as Auslander said already.

Last edited:

Luci07

Visit site
Green, 3 full generations all listed in the top stud book. Blue. Missing some breeding details or horses that are not in the top book. White means no recorded breeding though bizarrely often worth while contacting the breeder as they do know (and you can DNA test). Love my ISH's!

kassieg

Visit site
My pure connie has a green book

My irish sports horse who is connie x ish has a green ish nook with gold corners...so posh haha :p

stormox

Visit site
Green.. Approved sire and green book dam. all breeding recorded and DNA typed.
Blue ...Sec I or 2 or supplementary Sire, green/blue book dam,,all breeding recorded and DNA typed
White.. ID document only, breeding may or may not be recorded.
But that was up to last year when it was IHB its all changed yet again now its HSI

dibbin

Visit site
Green.. Approved sire and green book dam. all breeding recorded and DNA typed.
Blue ...Sec I or 2 or supplementary Sire, green/blue book dam,,all breeding recorded and DNA typed
White.. ID document only, breeding may or may not be recorded.
But that was up to last year when it was IHB its all changed yet again now its HSI

I think they're still the same ... my gelding has a white book, I'm in contact with his breeder and he has great bloodlines (Clover Hill and Master Imp on his sire's side) so I could probably get him "upgraded" to a blue or green book if I got DNA tests done. But he'll never be used for breeding (obviously :p) and I'm not planning to sell him so don't really think it's worth bothering in his case :)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Never got a reply from my horse's breeder. He breeds ISHs from what I can see. Are DNA tests reliable or are they about as much use as the dog ones IE useless?

Kacey88

Visit site
You don't need all recorded breeding for a green one. As long as the dam's passport is endorsed by HSI she doesn't need recording breeding.

My filly's dam has no recorded breeding but her dad is a Class 1 Irish Draught and she has a green one. Its very posh with gold corners!

stormox

Visit site
Is that a IHB passport though, or an IDHS one? It might be green but it doesnt mean its an IHB green passport. Connemara breed society and ID breed society are also green colour.
As far as I know DNA tests are reliable these days. The Sire and dam should both already be DNA typed, and recorded. When the foal is chipped by the vet he also takes a hair root sample and sends it off to IHB/HSI. It is then checked with sire and dam.

Last edited:

wish upon a star

Visit site
Who would I send a white IHB book to to change ownership? I can't find anything definite and don't want to send it off and it get lost if it went to the wrong company.

Luci07

Visit site
Who would I send a white IHB book to to change ownership? I can't find anything definite and don't want to send it off and it get lost if it went to the wrong company.

Look in their website. IHB also requires a change of ownership form to be signed and there is now a small fee. I photocopied mine and sent it registered post to be sure of safe delivery.

And for the IHB, green passports are only issued with full breeding known, no gaps so would suggest the other passport is not from the IHB.

Kacey88

Visit site
Its a passport issued by Horse Sport Ireland, same as the rest for all Irish Sport Horses, which my filly is. When Irish people say "has a green passport" this is the one they are talking about.

My mare is DNA typed and filly was DNA matched with both parents.

In summary, they don't need full recorded breeding for an elusive green book!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site

Here's the pdf you need to download and complete. Send back with fee to the address on the form. I think I'm right in saying that IHB is now HSI (Horse Sport Ireland). The address has no postcode, this is apparently the norm for Eire. I had awful trouble finding the right details to send mine back when I got the boy. I ended up phoning them to check, they were super helpful and incredibly efficient.

http://www.horsesportireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015Change-Of-Owner_New.pdf

wish upon a star

Visit site
Here's the pdf you need to download and complete. Send back with fee to the address on the form. I think I'm right in saying that IHB is now HSI (Horse Sport Ireland). The address has no postcode, this is apparently the norm for Eire. I had awful trouble finding the right details to send mine back when I got the boy. I ended up phoning them to check, they were super helpful and incredibly efficient.

http://www.horsesportireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015Change-Of-Owner_New.pdf

Thank you so much, glad it's not just me who struggled :) I might phone them too just to check that it is one of their passports. I was starting to think that they had changed name but it just wasn't clear anywhere. Best get her jabbed and then will send it off!

Escapade

Visit site
Thank you so much, glad it's not just me who struggled :) I might phone them too just to check that it is one of their passports. I was starting to think that they had changed name but it just wasn't clear anywhere. Best get her jabbed and then will send it off!
Yes, that's what you're looking for. Before HSI took over the passporting IHB was in the same building anyway so you're sorted :)

re: the OP, I think the blue/white might depend on when it was issued. My 3 were foaled in the mid-90s, all unrecorded breeding, all blue passports. I first saw a white one a bit over 10 years ago.

Last edited:

wench

Visit site
The DNA test you require matches the horses DNA to it's parents, but you must know what the name of the parent is to be able to say if it's a match or not, it cannot tell you what the parentage is if you don't have any idea.

I keep on telling people on fog forums they waste money on DNA tests but they never believe me.

I thought Northern Ireland had different colour passports but I could be wrong,

I went to look at a horse a few years ago that was being sold as a sports horse, with a IHB passport. Bit of googling revealed it was in fact an ex racer, traced by it's microchip number

monte1

Visit site
Hi, can i just check, my new irish 5 year old has a blue passport and I need to change ownership to myself, can i just download and fill in this form and send it all off ??
also can anyone please tell me if i can name him on his passport, as he is listed there as un named at the moment, or does it not really matter ?

Merrymoles

Visit site
Mine's a white Horse Sport Ireland one but I am never going to find out much about my horse from it. He has no recorded breeding, no recorded height, his date of birth is given as 2002, although I reckon that is probably a guess as he was not passported until 2011 in Callan, Ireland, presumably just before he went through the Goresbridge sales which would seem to be the nearest. I would love to know more but haven't been able to trace him any further.

debsflo

Visit site
Thank you so a white book means no recorded parentage. Can you also clarify what an Irish sport horse is as opposed to Irish x or Irish draught ?