Please help! Any tattoo pics and how many nails in a horseshoe?

Popos

Visit site
Sorry for crazy message, but having a tattoo done today and I want to get it right! How many nails are in a horseshoe and does anyone have any horsey type tattoos they would be happy to show? The only horseshoe ones I can find have a funny shape to the end and don't look like the sort that are actually used on horses! Thank you!

Popos

Visit site
Thank you, that's what I thought, but everything image I can find has 8! I have cleaned up one on my horses old shoes and it has 5 on each side but I'm assuming they only nail 7?!

Copperpot

Visit site
Oooo show us your tattoo when it's done. I have a few horsey ones including a shoe. It's on my back so I can't count the nail holes til OH wakes up :)

Tnavas

Visit site
4 on the outside and 3 on the inside. You'll only find nails in this combination on hand made shoes. Machine made shoes just have holes spaced equally around the shoe.

Last edited:

Popos

Visit site
Great thanks for this. Just had a good look and mine has 3 on each side and a road nail at the top of the inside. I think I want them to draw it how it looks when on the horse (minus the inside of the hoof!) so it has the correct nails on rather than just even holes. Going to take in a photo of his hoof! The old fashioned ones in pictures seem to have a squared off lump at the tops which I don't want. I want it to really look how a horseshoe does!