Please Help - Bay Laurel Hedging

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
One of my neighbours has been in contact tonight to say that they are planning to replace their fence between our field and theirs (we share a long field boundary). This is welcome news as their side is just run down barbed wire, and then there is post and rail with wire mesh on our side and patchy bits of hedge in between.

Along with (or possibly instead of) replacing the fencing on their side, they want to plant laurel hedging. We mentioned that laurel is poisonous to the horses and they went away, did some searching and came back with the plan of using bay laurel hedging instead. Without re-fencing my side my horses would absolutely be able to eat it.

Does anyone know for certain that bay laurel is not toxic for horses? Just looking for some reassurance that I don't need to be internally flapping as much as I am.

TIA

Backtoblack

Visit site
theres a firm which includes laurel in its hedging ofr horses mix. i dont thnik they'll actually eat it. sheep will though. only way to find out is to try them with a bit and see if they like it if so you'll need to fence it s they cant reach it. at least the neighbours arnt planting yew.

HashRouge

Visit site
If you read right down the the very bottom of that article it says-

Note: Although bay laurel leaves are safe when used in small quantities, they may be toxic to horses, dogs, and cats. Symptoms include diarrhea and vomiting.
I saw that too. I'd not want to take any risks unless you can find out for certain.

I have got a Leylandii hedge down the side of one of my summer fields and that is very definitely poisonous (belongs to the neighbour and was there long before we were). I have always managed it by running a line of internal fencing several metres inside it so the horses can't reach it. When my YO took on another livery last year I did come up once to find she'd moved the fence back so they could eat the long grass between the electric tape and the hedge! Had to have a hasty conversation about that, though I have to say the horses did not seem remotely interested in eating it.

ETA could you suggest a hawthorn hedge? Monty Don makes a good case for it here, even though it is not evergreen https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2005/may/01/gardens

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
All laurels are toxic so you will have to fence them away from the new hedge .

But then you probably would have to fence anyway to stop them eating the new hedge .

They'll plant it in April and my horses will be out of that field by that time. They buying mature plants (10l pot type size), so should be reasonably established by November.

Would it be worth talking to them again and suggest ecological hedging for field rather than garden ornamental hedging? A good mix would be much more in keeping for livestock fields and be far more bird friendly.

Yes am planning on speaking to them again this weekend so will try to steer them in that direction. I think the ecological angle might be persuasive to them so thanks for suggesting that.

I think they chose laurel because they were told that it will grow well below established trees. There are two big oaks along that fence line which rather overshadows any hedging.

Any suggestions for other hedging plants that will grow well in a shady environment?

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
If the hedge is more than 100m long tell them that they can get a hedge pack from the Woodland Trust with 75% funding. Native species and wildlife friendly but it must connect to an existing hedge (or at least ours had to). Yes it is bare rooted whips but the one planted last year is already about 4 foot high and the one planted 6 years ago is already an established hedge.

mariew

Visit site
It takes years for a hedge to establish so I suspect you would need to fence regardless, as they'll both be able to walk through the hedge as well as eat them.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
If the hedge is more than 100m long tell them that they can get a hedge pack from the Woodland Trust with 75% funding. Native species and wildlife friendly but it must connect to an existing hedge (or at least ours had to). Yes it is bare rooted whips but the one planted last year is already about 4 foot high and the one planted 6 years ago is already an established hedge.

Oh that's interesting, thank you, I'll have a look for the details. It would connect to existing hedge but the longest run to be filled in is maybe 50m and then there are other small patches of infill along the rest of the existing hedgeline.

It takes years for a hedge to establish so I suspect you would need to fence regardless, as they'll both be able to walk through the hedge as well as eat them.

There is already a substantial fence on my side, and the existing hedging is stuff that has self-seeded or whips that I have moved to the hedgeline after they have self-seeded elsewhere. Mainly Hawthorn, Holly, elder and dog roses. The horses do nibble the hedging but it is only young whips that they will damage enough to kill them.

Trouper

Visit site
They'll plant it in April and my horses will be out of that field by that time. They buying mature plants (10l pot type size), so should be reasonably established by November.
Goodness - they are not gardeners are they!! That is a very expensive way to plant a hedge and not the best time of year to do so - if we have a dry Summer they will need to constantly water. Planting slips in the Autumn gets the hedge off to a much better start and it will grow much quicker. A native hedge also gives so much more variety through the seasons apart from being better for wildlife. Good luck persuading them!!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Goodness - they are not gardeners are they!! That is a very expensive way to plant a hedge and not the best time of year to do so - if we have a dry Summer they will need to constantly water. Planting slips in the Autumn gets the hedge off to a much better start and it will grow much quicker. A native hedge also gives so much more variety through the seasons apart from being better for wildlife. Good luck persuading them!!

Haha, no they're not. They are wealthy and tbh quite well-meaning. They appear to have a guy who is advising them (and who they will be paying to do the work ?), which concerns me slightly. They moved out from the city and bought their house with 18 acres, do are very much still working things out.

Thanks! I'm hopeful, they have always seemed like nice people. And thanks for everyone's responses has helped me clarify what to chat to them about.

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
You can give them a whole spiel about wildlife hedges, native varieties, the mythology of hornbeam,blackthorn and hawthorn, the help to the environment etc etc. Agree with Trouper (missed the bit about buying 10l pots and planting in spring) - they are setting themselves up to fail. Hopefully you can nudge them in the right direction.

Nasicus

Visit site
theres a firm which includes laurel in its hedging ofr horses mix. i dont thnik they'll actually eat it. sheep will though. only way to find out is to try them with a bit and see if they like it if so you'll need to fence it s they cant reach it. at least the neighbours arnt planting yew.
Tell that to my dumbass youngster who thought the laurel someone dumped in their field was the best thing ever and proceeded to stuff her face with the stuff. £300, a gut full of liquid parrafin and toxicity meds later :rolleyes: