PLEASE HELP! Bit problems!!

Abbyndrocky

Visit site
somebody please help/advise me on what to do...

I've got a gleaming 16.2 british warmblood that I can ride on the flat in a grackle bridle with a French link and he will respond well to everything I ask. However, when jumping he pulls my arms off..

We get about 4 strides out, he cat leaps/ springs in the air with his head in the sky and goes hell for leather at the jump BUT CLEARS IT. He's never stopped with me, it's just touch and go on striding..

I got advised to ride him in a rubber Pelham with roundings and a leather curb chain so I tried it.. On the flat he is even better however after a whiles starts rearing when asking for walk/ canter..

Jumping... He won't go forward and canters on the spot, won't keep a rhythm into a fence, KNOCKS EVERYTHING.

Is there something I can try that's I between, allows me to have brakes like the Pelham but something he won't back off of like the French link, or do I just go back to the French link?

I've tried canter poles, grids, trot jumps all sorts of ground work he just gets soooo excited.

If non home can help you'll be an absolute star!!!!!!

be positive

Visit site
There are so many options it can take a lot of trial and error to find what works for each individual, I would not use roundings on a pelham as that means the curb is always in action and will be too much for a sensitive horse to cope with, hence the reaction you are now getting, to use it properly you need to use 2 reins which may be suitable and worth trying if he generally seems happy in it.
I have used a french link wilkie/ loop ring snaffle on one horse, it was just enough to help with control xc without making him back off but really you need to be working with a good trainer to help get the horse jumping consistently and confidently, they would be best placed to advise on changing bits.

Myhorseeatsmoney

Visit site
I myself had a problem with a young horse when I tried a rubber pelham with roundings. This is such a tricky area try phoning a couple of the bit manufacturers e.g. neue schule or even the bit bank as they have the most experience.

lucy007

Visit site
I have a horse and my daughter has a pony that like to go like that. Daughters pony is ridden in a tom thumb with a leather curb strap (but you dont need to use one). My horse is currently in a waterford 3 ring gag on 2nd ring. This is what they go best in at present, but still room for improvement, so I have just started trialing a low ported myler bit on them both. First impressions are good.