Please help, herd turnout!

Vimto22

Visit site
I have 2 lovely mares, I’ve recently become anxious with hacking due to being on a main road so decided to look for a new yard. Barely anything within 30mins of me! I’ve found a friendly yard with good facilities, only change is herd turnout instead of paired. I’m a bit worried that they’ll get hurt, do they settle fast, I’m worried I’ll turn up and they’ll be injured as only lived as a pair before!
it’s a herd of 12 on 20 acres, natural shelter and the horses were chilled and came over to say hi when I visited
Is my fear really irrational? Thank you

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’ve only ever had herd turnout once. There were 26, a mix of mares and geldings all in together.
I loved it. I hate individual or these tiny squares you see at most yards.
Id imagine they won’t expect you to Chuck them into the herd on day one but to let them settle a bit and perhaps meet a few of the other horses first maybe?
Once settled I’m sure you’ll love it, can’t get much better if your a horse!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Is this a mixed herd?? Coz I'd be asking what arrangements - and what precautions - are in place for adding horses to the herd. I'm a YO and with any new arrivals firstly we electric-fence them away from the main herd in a small section of the main field so they can see the "herd" but not integrate with it. We take the opportunity then to observe and see how they cope with looking at the others yet not actually being in the field alongside them. Much safer!!

With any new additions, I would also take the extra precaution of removing hind shoes. It just isn't worth the risk!

If you do intend to go ahead, then a great deal of thought and preparation will need to go into the introduction process. Not that this is impossible, because it isn't, but mares-with-mares can be complicated as there will be a dominant mare already in the herd; I had two mares a few years back and knew darn well that I couldn't ever put them into the same field together as it would have been carnage; I knew for sure they would have KILLED each other.........

Surbie

Visit site
What's the yard plan for introducing new horses? Some fence off a bit for the newbies so they can get used to each other before taking the fence away. Others chuck in and wait to see what happens, particularly if it's a big field. Mostly I've known the latter.

My horse is a friendly chap - he doesn't fight and will run from aggression, and that's worked well generally. He's been happily out in a mixed herd and is currently out on about 8/9 acres with 5 other geldings.

eggs

Visit site
I have mine on mixed herd turnout in a large field at home and it works very well but it is a very settled group.

Would you be allowed to electric fence a bit of the field off for your mares for the first few days? If not, it might be worth seeing if you could hack out with a couple of the other horses first.

In my experience if the field is large enough the new horse is able to keep out of the way until they are invited into the herd.

meleeka

Visit site
For me it would depend on how stable the herd is, whether they have a lot of comings and going’s or whether they have already sorted themselves out as a herd when the newbies arrive.

I do think horses should be allowed to be horses some of the time and not allowing that because they might break is a bit unfair.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
About 5 years ago I had to move yard temporarily to my friends place, hers were in a herd and i worried myself sick! Just kept thinking its a vet bill waiting to happen. BB quite liked it!
i just couldn’t stop worrying, he was introduced gradually, to make sure all was ok

Starzaan

Visit site
Personally I hate anything other than herd turnout and will only offer individual or paired turnout for my rehabs who need the restriction.
I have had hundreds, possibly thousands of horses, some worth eye watering amounts of money, turned out in herds, and in all those years I’ve had one severe injury. Keep the herds same sex, and make sure there is enough land. The setup you describe sounds perfect.
We seem to have forgotten that horses are herd animals. They’re happiest, most relaxed, and most fulfilled in a herd. If it’s good enough for Carl Hester, it’s good enough for me haha.

Vimto22

Visit site
Personally I hate anything other than herd turnout and will only offer individual or paired turnout for my rehabs who need the restriction.
I have had hundreds, possibly thousands of horses, some worth eye watering amounts of money, turned out in herds, and in all those years I’ve had one severe injury. Keep the herds same sex, and make sure there is enough land. The setup you describe sounds perfect.
We seem to have forgotten that horses are herd animals. They’re happiest, most relaxed, and most fulfilled in a herd. If it’s good enough for Carl Hester, it’s good enough for me haha.

Is it ok that they’re mixed?

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I've had mixed herds before and it's always been fine :)

In thirteen years (over two horses) I've had one vet visit as a direct result of a herd turn out injury. *Touches all wood this continues* I've seen more injuries in horses that are turned out individually or paired long term, personally.

They are herd animals after all.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I've kept mine in a similar set up and they absolutely thrived on it and one of my geldings is always top dog in the field and doesn't like all horses,but after a few introductions squeals and running around they were fine I think with so much room they form small herds and tend to stay with the horses they get on with and can stay out of each others way if need be.

Starzaan

Visit site
Is it ok that they’re mixed?
It’s fine that they’re mixed, it just means you have to keep a closer eye in case of seasons and any riggy behaviour.
Horses have lived in herds since horses began. They are supposed to live in herds. They’ll be absolutely fine.
I get more rehabs in that have strung themselves up through stress being turned out alone, or have ended up with cortisol induced laminitis as a result of individual turnout or being made to stand in all winter.
I think it would serve us all well to look a little more at how horses thrive in the wild, and try and recreate that as best we can. Personally, I couldn’t offer my horses herd turnout, year round, I would no longer have horses.

dorsetladette

Visit site
I always segregate newbies. They can talk and touch over a fence. We hack/walk out together until all is calm and then intergrate slowly. Reason being my old cob has done damage to others when being introduced. Until everyone is happy the fence stays up

Zoeypxo

Visit site
We keep out in mixed herds and its always fine, the main problem can be riggy geldings so if we have any riggy ones they have to be in gelding fields only.
We tend to let the horses sniff over the stable door to say initial hellos then just turn them out.
My horse has had more injuries than i can count in individual paddocks, but touch wood other than the odd bite mark or scuff mark no field injuries in a herd.
I think 12 on 20 acres sounds great

moosea

Visit site
Yes a mixed herd, none have back shoes but it’s not a requirement, they’d have to go straight in without having a separate field first

I prefer this to single or paired turnout.

If you have paired turnout they can still get injured. If you have single turn out they can get injured!

It's rare that horses will 'kill each other' and usually stems from the fact that they have not been out in a herd and not learnt how to behave in a herd.

I worked at a place that had horses and ponies, mares and geldings, from 8hh to 17.2hh all together. As long as there is plenty of food in plenty of piles and enough room then it is the best way imho.

I would be asking what the haying situation is in winter and would want somewhere which had electric fencing to make a double gate to make turn out and bring in easier.

Vimto22

Visit site
Thanks so much everyone ? i had my pony in a herd when I was a teenager, it was 60 horses in rotated fields of probably 20, 15 and 10 acres. She used to get lots of bites and ended up with a clickly leg, which made me worry!
I have to walk through a field of about 8 horses to get to this field but hopefully after they have ‘talked’ over the fence, they won’t be interested. My mares usually squeal at new horses so they probably won’t be that interested in each other anyway. Hay rounds go out in twos in the winter
I’m not sure if At the back of my mind will worry about a fully shod individual added to the herd at any point? I suppose it doesn’t make much difference. Every horse is retired/light work in there except my big mare.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
Thanks so much everyone ? i had my pony in a herd when I was a teenager, it was 60 horses in rotated fields of probably 20, 15 and 10 acres. She used to get lots of bites and ended up with a clickly leg, which made me worry!
I have to walk through a field of about 8 horses to get to this field but hopefully after they have ‘talked’ over the fence, they won’t be interested. My mares usually squeal at new horses so they probably won’t be that interested in each other anyway. Hay rounds go out in twos in the winter
I’m not sure if At the back of my mind will worry about a fully shod individual added to the herd at any point? I suppose it doesn’t make much difference. Every horse is retired/light work in there except my big mare.
Can a pathway not be made alomg the fence line to allow you to get your girl out a little safer ?

Zoeypxo

Visit site

do you mean 2 round bales of hay? Will that be for 14 horses including yours?

we had 2 round bales this winter for 7 horses. Id imagine 3/4 round bales for 14 horses so they dont fight ?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I have 2 lovely mares, I’ve recently become anxious with hacking due to being on a main road so decided to look for a new yard. Barely anything within 30mins of me! I’ve found a friendly yard with good facilities, only change is herd turnout instead of paired. I’m a bit worried that they’ll get hurt, do they settle fast, I’m worried I’ll turn up and they’ll be injured as only lived as a pair before!
it’s a herd of 12 on 20 acres, natural shelter and the horses were chilled and came over to say hi when I visited
Is my fear really irrational? Thank you
Nothing wrong with herd turnout.
We have a herd turnout, would not have it another way, as horses are herd animal's. Though I would never do grass livery here so the fields are well managed.

Providing the introduction is done to reduce injuries.

JoannaC

Visit site
The yard I used to be at had a large mixed herd and 99% of the time new horses went out had a run round and then were fine. Until mine went out, she got chased and bullied and had to live in doh. I did have three others living in the herd with no problem. I then got a new mare who went out with a smaller mixed herd on a different yard and ended up being attacked by a gelding, it was horrific i've never seen anything like it he really wanted to kill her. They knew he was a problem and didn't say so just be sure they don't have anything like that and as already said introduce over a fence first.

luckyoldme

Visit site
My horse was a nightmare with other horses when I got him. I was told he could only live on his own. When I tried him with companions they ended up covered in bites so we had to keep him on his own. This made him unhappy.
He fence walked and wrecked fences trying to get to company.
The neighbouring small holder had a field full of Clydesdales and kept saying to me just throw him in there , they will sort him out.
In desperation one day I did.
I never looked back.
Herd life is great for horses, they taught him how to behave. It was amazing to see the change in him .there was a little bit of shuffling around till they worked out for themselves where my horse fitted into the group but he lived out his last year's there, in his own horsey heaven.
I am sure that if herd life could sort out a horse like mine then your two will be happy as pigs in ? once they settle.

Bellalily

Visit site
I would be very careful. I put my two out with a guaranteed quiet horse who wouldn’t be interested in them and within a week my chap was coming in with fresh chunks out of him. It was a big enough field and plenty of grass. I had to section off a small area for him, whilst the perpetrator had full use of the field. ?