Please help me decide...livery options

debsflo

Visit site
I plan on having my next horse at livery so I have use of facilities Inc instruction and have been looking at places but am torn between 2 so would appreciate thoughts. Livery one is a large well established livery and competition centre where I currently have lessons. There are 5 arenas, use of horsewalker, good hacking ,regular clinics ,x country course but limited turnout in winter and is a half hour drive away. Livery 2 is the same price, 10 minutes away and daily turnout plus hopefully regular clinics but downside is no competitions on site.Owner is a dressage rider and sports therapist.. They have all weather arena ,horsewalker daily turnout and good hacking and indoor lunge pen.instructor and clinics. At first yard won't need trailer plus first yard also import Irish horses to sell and have a nice one in the wings. I keep going round in circles.
Both same price for 5 day part livery...

tinafletcher1

Visit site
both the yards sound super. you are very lucky to have that choice. although I am happy where I am, we only have 1 outdoor arena, and wherever we go either competition or training is a minimum of one hour away. ours is only a small family run yard. I wouldn't personally like a yard too busy and too many people around. Not a lot of help sorry, just giving my thoughts.

Arzada

Visit site
No hesitation - yard 2! I'd need turnout for horse and for me I can't imagine being on a yard as big and busy as yard 1.

debsflo

Visit site
I would normally go for option 2 ,I think because it's established and other yard is new and I don't like change...the other thing is yard 1 use hay and straw yard 2 uses softchip and haylage which I prefer. Turnout is important...looked at yard 1 already viewing yard 2 soon.

ihatework

Visit site
The only type of horse Id consider keeping at yard 1 would be a full on competition horse. It's no fun in winter having to travel a reasonable way to exercise a fully stabled horse sufficiently to keep them mentally sane. Plus these big yards are often quite impersonal, with imports continually coming in you have added infection risk, cost of petrol with the extra travel and also it isn't always a bonus to have lessons/compete at the same venue all the time even if it is convenient.

Yard 2 would win hands down.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Yard two for the turnout. You still probably wouldn't need a trailer, as you could hack to the other centre for competitions?

WelshD

Visit site
If go for yard two

Surely at some point you'd want to do competitions other than the ones at yard one so would still need the trailer anyway?

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Even if you were to buy soon, say at the end of June, by the time you'd got used to it you may not be ready to compete this year, so the horse gets a winter of good turnout and then you can reassess next spring and either change cars or move yards.

PorkChop

Visit site
Yard two would be my choice - not that I have ever had a horse at livery! - the travel distance and turnout would swing it for me :)

nato

Visit site
Yard 2! Turnout is so important for a horse's wellbeing, mental and physical.

Also, it's fun to get out to other venues - you'd get bored stiff competing in the same venue every week. So would your horse!

debsflo

Visit site
Even if you were to buy soon, say at the end of June, by the time you'd got used to it you may not be ready to compete this year, so the horse gets a winter of good turnout and then you can reassess next spring and either change cars or move yards.
Yes good point ,its a resounding vote for yard 2 .thanks folks. i do have grazing at home but not enough for a third and to be able to ride regularly in all weathers and have company is really important..