please help me settle and argument!

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Is a standard horse trailer, say an Ifor Williams hh510 braked or unbraked?

Having a disagreement with other half!

Please help, facts and any links would be good!

Keimanp

Visit site
They are generally braked trailers.

Generally as a rule of thumb is a trailer is unbraked up to around 750kg and then will be braked over this

I can try and dig out some material from somewhere but the trailers that have handbrakes on them are braked as the hand brake acts as an overide to the braking system when stationary. When moving and the car slows down the weight of the trailer pushes on the drawbar and activates the brakes on the trailer. When reversing there is generally some way of overriding the brake activation by means of a metal flap (thats how it is on the HB505 I have)

Hope this helps! (Sorry if I've not helped you win your arguement!)

Keimanp

Visit site
Its also why the trailer service centres service the brakes on the trailer when you take it in for a service!

be positive

Visit site
They are braked, it is often recommended that when parked, unhitched, the hand brake is not left on as the brakes can stick on if left for some time, if there were no brakes this would not be a problem.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
He's convinced its not braked as there is nothing atatching my car brakes to the trailer braked.
Obviously it has a hand brake and break away cable.

If he is correct I've been towing a very over weight trailer for years!

NeilM

Visit site
Try putting the argument this way: An Ifor 505 weighs 900 kgs. A 14hh pony (like mine) weighs around 400 to 450 kgs, lets add another, just for fun at 400kgs.

So, now you have a 900kg trailer with a further 850kgs of dobbins =1750kgs. Do you REALLY want to try and slow that lot, coming down the Cheddar Gorge, or Burrington Coombe just using the brakes on you car, which, let's not forget, holds you, your OH and all you tack, coats, hats etc. :eek:

I think not :D

NeilM

Visit site
He's convinced its not braked as there is nothing atatching my car brakes to the trailer braked.
Obviously it has a hand brake and break away cable.

If he is correct I've been towing a very over weight trailer for years!

Here's a clue. The rubber crinkly bit on the tow hitch, behind the hitch itself. That hides / protects the plunger assembly which compresses as you apply the brakes on your car.

Alternatively, just get him to look under the tow hitch on the trailer, and get him to explain what all the cables and pipes are for.

Maiko

Visit site
Braked. ANY trailer with a Max Laden Weight of over 750kgs must BY LAW have brakes fitted. The IW has a over-run braking system, which is, in non technical speak, the part that is covered by the springy rubber bit on the hitch! The trailer brakes are applied by the braking action of the tow vehicle, using an over-run system (technical speak!). There is also a break-away cable that is attached to the tow vehicle, in the event of an unscheduled uncoupling.

Keimanp

Visit site
http://www.barlowtrailer.co.uk/Ifor_Williams_Parts

There is a PDF document for the brakes. If it was just for a handbrake when stationary it would be only on one wheel (more cost effective)

http://www.barlowtrailer.co.uk/Ifor_Williams_Parts/Couplings_and_Supports

Details the different couplings availiable and the top one 'Unbraked couplings including dedicated coupling locks, up to 750kg GVW' After that they are all for braked trailers.

The trailer is braked through the force the trailer exerts on the car through the draw bar when the car slows down. The faster you slow down the harsher the brakes act.

They do not attach to the car's brake system but have their own independant one.

Go out to the car and couple the trailer up, reverse backwards quickly, you will lock the wheels up. be careful of it jacknifing though!