Please help me spend my money re: saddles

andytiger

Visit site
Hi can you guys help me decided what to do please in a turmoil of what to do
At the mo I have a ideal jump saddle what I do everything in I love it but it does nothing for my position flat work and it is not the best fit on him but it doesn't cause any problems .
I would like to do more dressage but I had an bad lesson at the weekend I spent the whole hour trying to correct my position so I didn't block my horse but couldn't do it . I know bad work men always blame there tools but I don't think saddle does me any favours
So what would you do

1.keep current saddle for jumping,hacking ect bearing in mind it's not the best fit and buy a dressage saddle.
Or
2. I have been thinking about getting a wow gp that I could do everything in
And if I got more serious about dressage could buy dressage flaps

So what would you guys do any advice appreciated sorry for gramma xxxx

xpkEcho

Visit site
Honestly, a good saddle that works for both you and your horse is hard to find. You could always save up and buy a dressage saddle, it does wonders for your position. Or you could ride stirrupless a few times a week and aid your position that way.

Cragrat

Visit site
I could never go back to a GP now!
But in what way does the jump not fit? I would be a little worried about that, but if it really isn't causing problems, then get a dressage now. If you get a saddler to bring a few, you should find one that enables you to improve your position HUGELY! Could you get your instructor present for the fitting as well?
And the perhaps get the jump saddle adjusted, if possible, or save up to part ex it later for a jump that does fit.

Shay

Visit site
We bit the bullet last month and bought my daughter a dressage saddle. She events - rather than pure dressage. Until now she has been jumping in a Pessoa jump saddle and doing the dressage phase in her old black country GP. Both saddles were professionally fitted and are checked annually; her seat is good, independent and secure. Buying her a dressage saddle has still made a significant difference. The horse's shoulder is far freer. His medium paces have always been good for his level and are now great. The lateral work has improved in that the aids are now all but invisible. She did find it is a real difference in balance having always been in a GP or jump saddle before; but she has accommodated that and the occasional slight looseness in her lower leg which I used to see has also disappeared - even in the jump saddle - and she looks more rock solid. Had I known 2 years ago what I just found out I would have done it then! If you can afford it - go for 2 saddles!