Please Help! Running out of ideas

YouOnlyLiveOnce

Visit site
I am looking for some ideas please as I know you guys are normally full of good ones!...

Im honestly not trying to advertise but just trying to help a friend out who doesn’t quite know what to do next...

She has a pony who shes had for 5 years, hes a 14.2hh 10yo welsh gelding who is basically good in every way and shes enjoyed him the whole time she has had him. However almost a year ago now he uncharacteristically turned on her in his stable when she was putting bandages on back legs, and pinned her against the wall and broke her wrist. He’d never done it before and hasn’t done since. He can be fidgety when grooming / tacking up but if tied up is usually fine.

The problem is it has understandably now left her very nervous of going near his back legs and she feels she cannot get past this, and because of this she has had him up for sale since the end of last year. A friend of hers has been loaning him in the mean time (he is on full livery anyway so looked after) so he is getting ridden regularly still and there have been no issues since then.

As mentioned before hes generally a good pony, he has a few negatives such as can be a bit bolshy on the ground, and when ridden has been known to become strong and run off in open spaces (not bolt), not great to hack alone but generally fine in company, and has been known to bronc and throw rider on the odd occasion although hasn’t done this for a long time now.

I realise this is not ideal but if he had the right adult competent, confident rider he could be a nice allrounder. He also weaves occasionally in the stable. She has been completely up front and honest about everything with everyone who has seen him, and also said that she doesn’t think he would be suitable as a childs pony, which I personally believe is 100% the right thing to do, however she is struggling to sell him, even priced at a completely realistically figure I believe...

Any ideas as to how best find this little chap the right home?

Thank in advance and sorry this has become quite an essay!

Goldenstar

Visit site
It's extremely difficult to place a bad to handle bolsy pony that runs off and broncs .
The problem is there are shed loads of nice straight forward ponies out there .
All these issue could suggest discomfort has the pony had a work up from a vet.

YouOnlyLiveOnce

Visit site
Thanks for taking the time to reply Goldenstar. Completely agree with you, as I said its a friends pony, I have stressed to her previously that this could be signs of ulcers / kissing spine etc or any number of things, best to get work up from vet but unfortunately my advice has not been taken into account. As I said she has been honest with people viewing him and has even said she believes it may be worth having him scoped for ulcers etc, its just this hasn't been done yet.... This is not the way I would go about things at all, I am just saying how it is with this situation.

Hawks27

Visit site
Am afraid if she's not willing to have the horse investigated I can imagine many buyers aren't either, there are so many fine horses for sale cheap now a days that few people will pay for a problem pony. You may have some luck on a site like projecthorses.co.uk or homes for horses where people are specifically looking for a challenge but they likely will be free to good home jobs

YouOnlyLiveOnce

Visit site
Am afraid if she's not willing to have the horse investigated I can imagine many buyers aren't either, there are so many fine horses for sale cheap now a days that few people will pay for a problem pony. You may have some luck on a site like projecthorses.co.uk or homes for horses where people are specifically looking for a challenge but they likely will be free to good home jobs

Thank you for your reply

SpringArising

Visit site
What sort of price is he? I had a Welsh who was similar to the one you've just described, he could buck for England (hand-stand style bucks, too), bunny hopped, was strong out, occasionally napped, was a good jumper but would also slam on the breaks if he didn't fancy jumping.

I loved him to bits, and although he was priceless to me, I had to be realistic about things. He was an adult's ride in a pony body, which made things harder.

I ended up essentially cutting my losses and selling him for £1k including all tack - I was completely honest about everything that he did, and I wouldn't/couldn't ever be any other way when it comes to selling. I find it's much less stressful if you're just straight-up about everything.

YouOnlyLiveOnce

Visit site
SpringArising thanks for that, its good to hear all is not lost! She loves him to pieces and does care about her horses (yes I do think he could do with a work up as some of these things possibly could be pain related but I can't force anything), shes had 3 horses on retirement livery for 10 years or more, its just because of his age she doesn't feel hes ready for that, but at the same time its not going to work her keeping him as shes so nervous around him now. Hes been advertised for £2k but I think maybe drop it and see what other interest comes along. I really hope he finds a nice home, hes a sweet boy beneath it all.

Yuki1290

Visit site
This is a difficult one... I'm afraid that, with his history, he should not be a child's pony. Also, standing at 14.2 means that he's probably only suitable for a small(ish) adult. Unless he's very talented or very well schooled, only someone that wants a project would have him and £2000 sounds like a lot (to me, at least) for a project horse that doesn't stand out in some way. Finally, you mentioned that he's bolshy and it sounds like he's gotten away with quite a lot!
I think that your friend has to either cut her loses and sell him cheaply (obviously, be very careful with who she sells him to) or send him to sales livery (somewhere trustworthy) so as to be on top form for selling and have some manners/schooling instilled into him! Good luck finding the right home for him :)

SpringArising

Visit site
SpringArising thanks for that, its good to hear all is not lost! She loves him to pieces and does care about her horses (yes I do think he could do with a work up as some of these things possibly could be pain related but I can't force anything), shes had 3 horses on retirement livery for 10 years or more, its just because of his age she doesn't feel hes ready for that, but at the same time its not going to work her keeping him as shes so nervous around him now. Hes been advertised for £2k but I think maybe drop it and see what other interest comes along. I really hope he finds a nice home, hes a sweet boy beneath it all.

£2000 is a lot for what he is/does. I would expect something like him to be priced between £600 and £1000. If the price drops accordingly then I reckon she'd probably pick up more interest.

YouOnlyLiveOnce

Visit site
Thank you all for taking the time to reply, it is appreciated and she is going to drop the price as in her words home is much more important than price anyway at the end of the day

Regandal

Visit site
I have difficulty understanding why an owner who professes to 'love him to bits' will not have a full work-up done. Could be something fixable.

YouOnlyLiveOnce

Visit site
I have difficulty understanding why an owner who professes to 'love him to bits' will not have a full work-up done. Could be something fixable.

I agree with you, I cannot answer that question but have pushed this suggestion for so long I'm tired of wasting my breath now...

Goldenstar

Visit site
£2000 is she mad , I would be thinking you would be struggling at £500 .
Your friend needs to take a huge reality check .

MagicMelon

Visit site

This. I would only take on something like this if it were free as it is a big risk especially as it has turned on her, that's a bit of a warning siren right there and will put a lot of people off. The other stuff could be worked on but I can't imagine many people will pay for a pony like this when you can quite easily pick up something unbacked (with no issues) for £500 at the moment... £2,000 sounds ridiculous IMO.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
This. I would only take on something like this if it were free as it is a big risk especially as it has turned on her, that's a bit of a warning siren right there and will put a lot of people off. The other stuff could be worked on but I can't imagine many people will pay for a pony like this when you can quite easily pick up something unbacked (with no issues) for £500 at the moment... £2,000 sounds ridiculous IMO.

Same here, my pony I took on like this one was free and took a while to get him settled but it worked out his teeth was the only problem. Once they were done iv had a cracking pony ever since.
Not a lot of people would pay for such a pony he's more of a cheap project who needs to be looked into