Please help shoeing nightmare

Nancykitt

Wester Ross, the beautiful NW coast of Scotland
Visit site
I've had my Connie for 8 years and he is the most fantastic horse - would not swap him for anything.
He is fine being shod and will often take the farrier's visit as an opportunity to have a sleep.
He is also fine to clip - everywhere - apart from his front right below the knee. He gets very upset and suddenly goes from chilled out and laid-back to panic mode, spinning and generally very upset. I have looked into it and no-one can find anything wrong. He is not lame, hacks and hunts very happily. We all came to the conclusion that something has happened when he has had that leg clipped in the past, we don't know what but he obviously hasn't forgotten. Had I known about the problem when buying him and disregarded him because I suspected something more ominous, I would have missed out on my horse of a lifetime.

Now I'm not saying that this is the case with OP's horse but at this stage we just don't know. It may be nothing, it may be something very serious. But if he is so good in every other way it is worth investigating. And definitely worth looking into barefoot - my other pony and OH's cob are all barefoot hackers/hunters.

soulfull

Visit site
I have a horse who has arthritis in his right fore. Bog spavins in both hocks. A slightly dodgy shoulder. Vet says I have to carry on... use it or lose it! He's so special that I couldn't write him off as he does well jumping and doing fun stuff still. He's a saint!d

He just needs a sympathetic approach. He doesn't like standing on his right foot for too long. He is a bit stiff coming out of his stable after a long night. You can't chuck tack on and canter off into the sunset. He needs about 10 mins to warm up.

A bit like me. Dodgy knees, dodgy shoulders. Bad back. But I still manage to exercise, run, jump after 10 mins warming up of course!! :D I've got a bad foot to so can't do certain things on it like wear heels so I wear good wide shoes that are flat and spongey.

OP, if you are concerned, get an x-ray, a professional opinion on his ability to live a decent life and if you can find ways to get around it then credit to you if you like him.

Every horse has some sort of unsoundness, no horse is perfect. You have to find YOUR perfect and work with the rest.

I use boots at times and many on here use them.

But you already have the horse and not about to buy it! All we are saying is THERE is a reason why and better to be sure what the reason is before quite possibly ending up with a field ornament

I've had my Connie for 8 years and he is the most fantastic horse - would not swap him for anything.
He is fine being shod and will often take the farrier's visit as an opportunity to have a sleep.
He is also fine to clip - everywhere - apart from his front right below the knee. He gets very upset and suddenly goes from chilled out and laid-back to panic mode, spinning and generally very upset. I have looked into it and no-one can find anything wrong. He is not lame, hacks and hunts very happily. We all came to the conclusion that something has happened when he has had that leg clipped in the past, we don't know what but he obviously hasn't forgotten. Had I known about the problem when buying him and disregarded him because I suspected something more ominous, I would have missed out on my horse of a lifetime.

Now I'm not saying that this is the case with OP's horse but at this stage we just don't know. It may be nothing, it may be something very serious. But if he is so good in every other way it is worth investigating. And definitely worth looking into barefoot - my other pony and OH's cob are all barefoot hackers/hunters.

This clipping issue wouldn't bother me. But like you say this issue needs an answer. If when the reason is known the answer is barefoot and or boots then great. If it's serious then a lot more heartache could be avoided
Much better to hand him back now and feel sad than to have to retire or worse

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
But you already have the horse and not about to buy it! All we are saying is THERE is a reason why and better to be sure what the reason is before quite possibly ending up with a field ornament
/QUOTE]

Actually, no, he had some issues beforehand. It didn't stop me as he was capable and was the right one for me.

I appreciate what you are trying to say, I'm just speaking up for the underdog.

mollichop

Visit site
I have had amazing results with Naf magic paste on my tb who was very quick to rear and strike out when having his feet done. didn't manage to get it into him soon enough to begin with but last shoeing he had 2 syringes an hour before and he didn't even lift his head - farrier was amazed!
You get one free so 3 syringes for approx £12.00 and I used 2 on a tb so really cost effective compared to sedaline etc.....

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have had amazing results with Naf magic paste on my tb who was very quick to rear and strike out when having his feet done. didn't manage to get it into him soon enough to begin with but last shoeing he had 2 syringes an hour before and he didn't even lift his head - farrier was amazed!
You get one free so 3 syringes for approx £12.00 and I used 2 on a tb so really cost effective compared to sedaline etc.....

It's not a question of how to get the horse to comply with shoeing but why it does not.

mollichop

Visit site
It's not a question of how to get the horse to comply with shoeing but why it does not.

Agree - pain/discomfort was ruled out and in my horses case it was a behavioural issue and that worked for him. Once op has got to the bottom of this horses reason (if she can or indeed decides to persevere with it) then this is just an option I was recommending.

MagicMelon

Visit site
It could also be simply that the horse has had a bad experience with a farrier in the past (lets face it, some farriers are bloody horrid to horses!). It doesn't necessarily have to be pain etc. OP. If the horse is perfect in every other way, then I wouldnt send him back yet. I'd go to the owner and see what she says. Then make sure you get a full 5 stage vetting done prior to buying. And perhaps just let him be a bit footy on your gravel drive (although look at his diet) or try to ride on the verge if you can instead, then you can forget about shoeing completely!

Some people seem to leap to thinking the horse will be crippled very soon just because it acts up for the farrier... I wouldnt jump to the absolute worst situation first...

PollyP99

Visit site
A mare we had was a loon for the farrier to hot shoe and she did go up regularly when this was attempted - however she was a fab family pony and eventually after trying most things she wa cold shoes, end of problem - she just hated the hot process. So whilst it's a worry I would look further into it if you like the horse, could be managable .

X

xspiralx

If it was pain, I wouldn't have thought it would be triggered by the hot shoe going on to the foot, but more if a leg is pulled a certain way.

Suggests to me more that the horse has had a bad experience when being hot shod in the past - perhaps he got accidentally burned.

I also don't think the owner is necessarily being shady. If the horse is fine to trim, and he is kept fine without shoes, then I can't see why you'd make a big deal of it being bad to shoe. She put you in touch we her farrier so clearly isn't trying to hide anything. Plus she's allowed a loan so again, not the behaviour of someone trying to pass on a dodgy animal.

I would try cold shoeing him, possibly with a calmer. If he is great in all other ways it is worth trying to find a way around this - hot shoeing is not essential if that's the only bit he has an issue with.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I would worry that he reacted when you were picking feet out, so not just a showing associated problem. If you are considering keeping him I would ensure a long loan, have a frank chat with the owner and the vet.