Please help- stray dog

Mbronze

www.cheshirehorsetaxi.weebly.com
:confused:

Tonight I picked up a stray golden lab wandering on a very badly lit road, obviously frightened but very friendly when i got out and called him to me.

His collar has a phone number on, which is very difficult to read as it is almost scrubbed off but I have left a message on the answerphone asking them to call me as I have their missing dog.

Problem is, I don't know what to do with him now. I have offered him a drink and some dog biscuits which he ate like a gannet! And he is now napping on my rug in the lounge so quite relaxed. Is there anything more I should be doing?

Any advice would be gratefully received:)

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Your best bet is to contact the local dog warden, though I don't suppose you will get through to them tonight. Also perhaps notify the police and have a look on Dog Lost website to see if any dogs fitting his description have been lost.

ETA Didn't read your post properly, if you are sure the number is correct then perhaps hold fire on contacting DW to give the owners chance to get back to you.

Meandtheboys

Visit site
People might be out looking - hopefully and not dumped!!

If he is tired he may have travelled far............good job you found him and fingers crossed owners contact you.

CAYLA

Visit site
As suggested, if you can, hang fire, he is better off with you than in the pound (dog warden) then call all the vets in your area and dog warden tomorrow (if you still don't want to take him to the warden) just leave your details and ask them to call you if someone calls for him.
Otherwise if you cannot hang onto him tomorrow then hand him over to your local vet they will organise him going off to the dog warden. (this is what you are meant to do to be fair)
If you do hang onto him Pop him to the local surgery tomorrow and get them to
If he is to stay with you tonight see if he will settled locked in a smaller room.

Mbronze

Your best bet is to contact the local dog warden, though I don't suppose you will get through to them tonight. Also perhaps notify the police and have a look on Dog Lost website to see if any dogs fitting his description have been lost.

ETA Didn't read your post properly, if you are sure the number is correct then perhaps hold fire on contacting DW to give the owners chance to get back to you.

No chance of getting through to a dog warden tonight I'm afraid. I can hang fire on that for now. I'll keep calling the number over the next hour and see whether I get a response.

p.s If anyone has a dog with a blue collar and used black permanent marker to put the number on please make sure its readable :confused:

Mbronze

People might be out looking - hopefully and not dumped!!

If he is tired he may have travelled far............good job you found him and fingers crossed owners contact you.

I hope they haven't dumped him :eek: It is a very local number on his collar so I hope he is just lost and hopefully owners have just gone out for tea or something.

I couldn't leave him on that road, the poor thing was zig zagging around the road looking truly terrified of cars flying past :( But very happy to see me pull over and get out. He really is a lovely boy, and looks quite young.

Mbronze

As suggested, if you can, hang fire, he is better off with you than in the pound (dog warden) then call all the vets in your area and dog warden tomorrow (if you still don't want to take him to the warden) just leave your details and ask them to call you if someone calls for him.
Otherwise if you cannot hang onto him tomorrow then hand him over to your local vet they will organise him going off to the dog warden. (this is what you are meant to do to be fair)
If you do hang onto him Pop him to the local surgery tomorrow and get them to
If he is to stay with you tonight see if he will settled locked in a smaller room.

Thanks Cayla, I can hang onto him. I have googled the number on his collar and it looks like he belongs to a teacher at a local school so I suppose if I have no response tonight I could phone the school tomorrow and ask for the owner.